1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT: Renting an RV

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by starshot2b, Jun 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

We don't have a 'house on wheels' which prohibits us from attending some shoots we'd really like to (hotel, food, shells, etc gets expensive).

I've been thinking of perhaps renting a small RV for just that purpose. Anyone ever done this?

I'd like to avoid the movie scenario (RV w/Robin Williams) and I'm not looking for a tour bus.

Appreciate suggestions or experiences please.

2. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

stay in the hotel, cheaper, more hot water,less fuss(don't forget RV space rental) and the swimming pool is bigger. Food is an item you got to have wether you are shooting or not.Yes it gets expensive and the real score is your probably not going to even come close to refurbishing your investment. Shoot to enjoy it becasue you have a few bucks you don't need to put into retirement.

3. bajan100

bajan100 TS Member

I totally agree with twinbirds.....Renting is great, but when taking everything into consideration it is considerably more expensive than staying in a motel/hotel...........I rented a small one (B Class) for 10 days and could have stayed at one of the more expensive hotels for the same price.

Dave A

4. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

There are a number of places you can rent a motor home, and with gas prices, I'm sure there are plenty available. I've done it and it works out great. You have a place to relax out of the sun and heat between events, and you don't have to be loading and unloading your car, and driving back and forth to your motel. Plus, you'll make friends with the other people with trailers and motor homes. Go for it!

5. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Sherree....... Renting an Rv for a 4-5 day shoot is really not what you think it will be. Your RV rental fee, gas (and lots of it), space rental, etc. will add up faster than a cheap motel will. Here is the scenario with renting an RV: Arrange for picking up the RV, get it home and stock it up with food and supplies. Make up all the beds, and make sure you have plenty of propane, and the spare tire is inflated...lol. Call insurance agent to be sure RV is covered. If not, add a rider to your policy or purchase insurance from rental agency. Leave for shoot. Hopefully, no RV engine trouble, no flat tires (a real major bummer), etc. Arrive at shoot, pay to rent RV space, find space, level and set up RV, hook up to water, power (if available), sewer, etc. Shoot each day, then go to RV to take a shower and fix dinner, do dishes, etc, before you can relax. Shower is about the size of a water heater closet so don't expect to really take any kind of shower, or, you can use the shower that MAY be available at the club. Those are always a real enjoyable experience, aren't they? Remember, you are also making breakfast and lunch as well as dinner to try to save some money, right? Doing all this stuff makes a mess no matter how tidy you are so be prepared to spend a good deal of time house cleaning. You will be generally miserable most of the time and not able to really relax and shoot well because you are worrying about the RV. After shoot is completed, disconnect RV, find a dump site and dump waste and flush tank. Head for home. After you get home, re-fill propane tank before retuning RV (filling at dealers is twice the price), clean out Rv and remove all your stuff. Return RV to dealer. Go home. Throw all the towels, bedding, etc in the washer and wash and dry them. Put all extra food away. Are we done yet? MAYBE....Now...Scenario for a motel.... Call motel make reservations. Go to shoot, have fun, visit with friends. After shoot, go to dinner with friends then head for motel. Get your room, watch TV and relax. In the morning, take a nice long shower with plenty of hot water, throw towels on floor, head for breakfast. Repeat for however long you stay there. Every night when you get back to your room there are fresh towels, bedding, etc. already done. Last day of shoot, pay bill and head for home. After you get home, take guns in house, pour a nice cocktail, sit back in recliner and relax...Trip over.
    As an example, 2 of us are staying in Olympia, Wash. for the PITA Grand Pacific for 8 nights at a Motel 6. Total cost for both of us is $340.00 for the whole thing. Add food to that and you are still in the same ball park, or less, as renting an RV for that period of time and you have totally avoided the stress, aggravation, and work related to having to rent an RV. I trailered for many years, and all in all, it just does not save any money, time, or energy, and is just something else to occupy your mind instead of concentrating on shooting targets......My advice? Get a cheap, clean motel, eat at decent, economical places (most large shoots have plenty of food available), forget about everything else, enjoy youself and have a good time.....Just my experience...Dan Thome (Trap2)

6. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

LOL Dan - if ever there was a case to be made for doing what we already do, you made it! Thank you! Thanks to the rest of you as well.

~S.

7. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

8. kreith

kreith Member

I guess it depends on where you are going to go shoot. Everyone in this post has something good to point out. The one thing no one ever takes into consideration is your time. I pull a 31' travel trailer to around 6-9 shoots per year. Last year at the Grand, I was in Electric only (by choice)and had to drive a wopping 2-4 minutes to my trap. Everyone else was staying 45-90 minutes away at a hotel. So what, you have to bring food, cook and do dishes. I enjoy grilling and I throw away my plates. I can cook a nice couple of steaks and sides for a lot less than what you will pay eating out. I spent the gas getting there and once I was set I had nowhere to go.

When you are figuring out whether to spend money renting an RV, make sure you include a figure for "ease". How much is it worth to you to not have to go into the hot/nasty cafeteria to wait to go back out for your next program? Go back to the RV and watch TV, grab a bite, and relax in the air conditioning? How much is it worth to you to leave your RV a few minutes prior to your sqad time? How much is it worth to you to be back after a long day of shooting in only a few minutes?

I have found that RVing is the only way to go at larger shoots. I did the math of hotels/food/gas/etc. and found that actually purchasing a Travel Trailer in the end was cheaper. I wanted ease of use.

Hope this long post helps.

Cory

9. Bill60

Bill60 TS Member

we dont rent an RV but we own one and i have stayed at a motel and had our trailer at a shoot and i like the trailer alot better. it was a place to get out of the weather whatever it was, heat, rain etc... we can make our own food and don't have to go out to eat every night. it may be more expensive but it is worth it

Steven

10. 3DHC

3DHC Member

An RV will nearly always be much more expensive than a motel. However, having your own stuff with you and having a place for your buddies to congregate is really nice.

I started with a small trailer, then went to a small Class C and finally went to a larger Class A a couple of years ago.

11. Hill topper

Hill topper Member

About the only reason I see to rent an RV is try out various models and types prior to buying a unit.

The more you use an RV, the more it makes economic sense.
    Its great to have all your stuff in one place and have a place to hang out between events.
    I also like the idea of not having to share DNA with unknown prior occupants of my bed.

It may not be the cheapest way to go, but you don't have to spend $5000.00 and up for a trap gun, but many do. Its about whats important to you and your spouse.

ed.

12. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

If you have kids, a trailer or RV with a satellite dish is the only way we can think of where you can really make everyone happy. Sara will only go with us to shoots if she knows that one of our friends will be there with a trailer or RV, or if the shoot only lasts a day. We are considering buying a trailer so that we can go as a family and she can relax on the grounds and do her homework and email her friends while we shoot. Then we can have BBQs as a family affair in the evening and she gets to meet the other kids.

For us, it is the best all-around choice. We can't leave a 14 year old girl back at the hotel by herself.

13. jrdlanes

jrdlanes Member

Sheree -

Another take on the rental might be to rent from someone local to the shoot. Negotiate the shoot site set up, clean up & return to their site by their personnel into the cost. Then no need to do anything other than show up w/ your groceries & gear in your normal vehicle. Just a thought.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.