1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT: Remington Sportman Semi-Auto (old model)

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by FIB, Jul 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FIB

FIB Member

I have a 14 year old son that I'm wanting to get an inexpensive semi auto for. My local gunshop has an excellent condition Rem. Sportsman (like a Model 11 or Brn. A5) that I can get for $ 150.00. The gun has the ugly but useful polychoke attached. Any opinions/experiences with this model? I know it is only a 3 shot but that is all he will need. Thanks in advance for your help...Randy

2. Dave McC

Dave McC TS Member

Get it. Excellent design and workmanship. They do kick.

When I received an heirloom Mdel 11, my smith replaced the springs and rings with Browning parts. He called it the 10K round rebuild. A good idea, IMO.

It too has the Poly "Dial a Duck" devise. A cousin has the 11 now and loves it.

Dave McCracken

3. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

Another vote to buy it! My son has one and loves it...poly choke included. Just make sure to use light loads as appropriate and put a good recoil pad or slip on pad. It will last his lifetime. Best Regards, Ed

4. coyote268

coyote268 TS Member

As a retired gunsmith, it has beeb my opportunity to observe many mdl 11's. Belive me, they are just as bullet proof and the Browning A5. Put a good recoil pad like a Simms Limbsaver on it and keep the friction ring lubed and you have a great starter gun.
    Dan

5. FIB

FIB Member

Thanks guys for the positive input. Sounds like I'll be buying one!! Randy

6. Steve-CT

Steve-CT TS Member

Personally, I'd pass on it and save another $200 for a used, older 1100 in good shape.

Three reasons why:

A. The recoil operated "Sportsman" is going to have more felt recoil

B. Parts are hard to come by, pricey and probably used

C. The 1100 offers vastly greater versatility, reparability, shootability and RESALEABILITY.

JMO

7. Joe Woods

Joe Woods Well-Known Member

Some ,not all shotguns with choke systems attached do not point were they should. Newer gun would have easier replacement part availability.

Joe Woods/Ontario

8. FIB

FIB Member

Thanks Steve and Joe for your input..I too have concerns regarding part availabilty but was reassured by other posts that this older gun is quite reliable. I also thought for $ 150.00 I really couldn't go wrong..but you may be right it might be best to save a couple hundred more bucks and get a used 1100. Any input would be appreciated because as of now I'm on the fence.....Thanks again....Randy

9. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Randy, my opinion is the old 11 is cool to own, but for a new shooter any help with progression if only one bird is a lot. The 1100 is probably the best pointing ,feeling and value for the money gun you can buy. Do not rule out a plain barrel 12, they can be had for as little as $200 maybe less. Find one rusted and pitted cheap and paint it. Bondo the stock to where it shoots where he looks. Add on ribs for plain barrel guns are inexpensive. I just did one for a freind of mines son and will post some pics on another thread. Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.