1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT: remington R-25 .308 any thoughts?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by brian meyerhofer, Nov 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brian meyerhofer

brian meyerhofer TS Member

Thinking about buying one. Any feedback would be great. Myabe there is another .308 that is a better bang for the buck. Thanks, brian442@yahoo

2. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

What is the end use of the firearm?

3. rrrocketman

rrrocketman Member

I believe the Remington is simply a DPMS repackaged. I shoot an Armalite AR-10T and with 175 grain Sierras it is accurate to 1000 yards. My uncle has the DPMS 308 and I've only shot his to 400 yards but is is pretty accurate as well. My Armalite will not digest NATO surplus though, while his DPMS thrives on it!

I love mine & it is as accurate as any of my other 30 cal bolt guns!

Rich Redovian

4. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Might as well get it while you can. Hopefully Obama's Semi-Auto Ban of 2009 will grandfather it in.

5. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

and get plenty of mags

6. brian meyerhofer

I would like to use it for Whitetail deer hunting in WI. I don't want to buy the remington if I can buy another brand in .308 that performs well for a better price.

7. Shooting Coach

Why not a good bolt gun? More accurate, easier to load for, and you don't have to chase brass. You can buy a good bolt gun and a scope for the price of this rifle.

A good Patrol Rifle has its place. I just wonder if it is best suited as a game rifle?

8. brian meyerhofer

I have bolt guns .22, 30-06, 300WSM, 300RUM. I also have a bushmaster .223 AR-15 that I really like to shoot and was thinking maybe I would like a .308 for deer.

9. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

You don't have to justify a 'need' for a semiauto .308 to us Brian, if you want one get it. I am a big fan of the M1A but the AR10 type rifles have a following too. Yes it would work for deer but you have other rifles that will do as well or better. Nothing wrong with having the R25 just for shooting fun though. (unless it becomes outlawed in the near future)

10. Finprof

Finprof TS Member

The R-25 is about the heaviest .308 I ever picked up. As I get older, rifles get heavier and heavier. A deer rifle doesn't get shot much (particularly in my case) so the less I have to lug around the better I like it.

11. Shooting Coach

Most 308 autos I have shot are fairly heavy. If you are in good shape, it is no big deal.

Most folks are not in good shape.

Heavy rifles kick less, but for a good game rifle I prefer a lighter package. I can carry a big rig, but do not care to. I am unlikely to need more than one shot at game.

OTOH, for fun and shooting pleasure, the AR type 308 is a hoot. They are easy to shoot, easy to load for, and pretty accurate.

12. hghunter

hghunter TS Member

I just bought an R-25 in .308 for deer season. My 12 yr. old son ended up using it to bag a real nice 8 pointer. He was using it because the recoil of even a 30-30 was too much for him. The semi-auto cushioed the recoil and the pistol grip made it easier for him to hold.

13. Dednlost

Dednlost Member

Unlike the Zumbo types many enjoy hunting with the semi auto because of the many reasons listed above. In fact as an American I don't need a reason other than I want one. Back in the 60's my hunting partner carried an M1 Garand , I didn't question his choice and he always got his deer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.