1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT---Red Fox Coal Tags---OT

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by grntitan, Sep 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I know I know. This don't belong in the shooting section but i figured i'd get the best response here.

On a hunting outing in my area i found these little thin metal tags with some still bearing the red tint. They are marked "Red Fox Coal" on them and as i said before they still have some slight red tint to them. It was on old strip mine property in So. IL(hasn't been mined in over 45-60 years to my knowledge and maybe longer) but that is all i can tell you about location. A local man told me he thought they use to go with batches of coal. The only thing i could find was Red Fox Coal Co. was out east in VA. Can anybody give my any idea what i have. I'm sure they are not worth anything but are interesting none-the-less.----Matt
    grntitan_2009_250326.jpg

2. grntitan

Anybody know what these were used for? I'm just curious as to what their purpose was. They are very thin flimsy metal which i believe to be aluminum because its not magnetic. I figured some of you older gentlemen may have been around the older strip mines and knew what these were used for.---Matt

3. acre44

acre44 Member

They are worth a lot of money. As much as someone will pay for them.

Toad.

4. new loader

new loader Member

Drop by UMWA local office and pass them around. Somebody will know about them or know someone who does.

5. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

They were used to identify the mine that a load of coal came from. Often placed as a seal on the truck or the train car the coal was delivered in. My wife has a customer that collects them and she'll ask him more about them. Wont be for a week or so though.

6. grntitan

Barry---Thanks so much for that info Barry. I sent you a PM.----Matt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.