1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT/Red dot scopes

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Tripod, Jun 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I just sighted in my .44 super Redhawk with a Bushnell red dot scope. It works pretty well compared to my failing eyesight and open sights. I have read that the relatively inexpensive Bushnell will not stand up to the recoil of the .44 with heavy loads. We only shot about a dozen heavy loads but the gun was grouping them very consistently at 25 yards when we quit, but I use it primarily for deer hunting and would hate to find out at a critical time it would not hold up. Any experiences out there to share?
    Thanks

2. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

I put one one a single shot .223 for my daughter to hunt with, opening morning a big doe steps out and is in the clear i get the rifle ready and she looks down the scope I tell her to shoot when she is ready.. I wait,. go ahead and shoot I whisper..I wait.. still nothing.. finally she says she cant see the dot, I take the gun, the brightness is on high so i look and I cant see the dot either.. the sun was rising from our backs and it completely wiped the dot out.. I took the peice of shit off and put a fixed 4 power on and she killed a deer that day with it.. hope this helps..

3. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I will likely be using mine in low light conditions as I tend to set in my blind in evening or early morning. I have several adjustments for the light so I will see how that part of it goes. So far I have been impressed, particularly with my buddies 25 yd 3 shot group of about the size of a quarter with it.

4. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

My eye's aren't what they used to be either. I am switching over to red dots.

As with all things, they have their faults. You need a sun shade if your going to have sunny days shooting. Winter hunts, better have some backup batteries.

Always buy ones with "life time" warrenties, same goes with scopes and bio's. If a company can't do that, they don't trust their product and they aren't worth buying.

5. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

Anyone know about the stability of the scope? The red dot washing out in bright light is not a problem with mine.

6. Finprof

Finprof TS Member

Most of the guys who shoot Bullseye use an UltraDot. On a 45 ACP slide it takes a beating from 180 shots in a typical match. The problem with a lot of red dot scopes that no one has mentioned so far is parallax. There is a good parallax test for red dots on the encyclopedia of bullseye shooting. The parallax on some cheap scopes is very large.

7. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Aimpoint, Bushnell\Eotech Holosight, Ultra Dot, in that order. Just like anything else quality is cheaper in the long run.

8. Don Steele

Don Steele Well-Known Member

I have a Leupold/Gilmore on my Thompson Contender. 10" bbl, .41 mag. and LOVE it..!!

I put a Millett red dot on my .458 Win Mag rifle and it has held up with no problems.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.