1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT red dot scopes

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by wireguy, May 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Is there any scope less expensive than an Aimpoint that has dependable quality, 1 or 2 power, 1 or 2 minute dot? I can't find much under search.

2. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

Barska offers one for about $30.00. I really don't have any practical use experience, yet.

JON

3. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

I know there are a lot of CHEAP ones out there, I'm wondering if there's anything that's decent quality short of the Aimpoint price. Thanks.

4. new loader

new loader Member

I did not have good luck with BSA scopes. I will look at something else next time.

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Try Wal-Mart. HMB

6. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Check on www.opticsplanet.com. I believe there are reviews as well as pricing. As with scopes, you get what you pay for. Go to "miltary gear" on the left hand side. It will then pull up different price ranges.

7. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I put a 38mm Tasco red dot on my daughter's 10/22 with the idea that it would just be something to try for a while. These cost about $40 and come with a weaver style mounting system. Turned out to be a very reliable sight that regularly goes on atv trips and gets pretty rough treatment. Has not lost zero or broken. It is a great set up for out to about 75 yards. I think the dot is about 4moa and there is no magnification. About the fastest sight I have ever used short of a shotgun bead.

If you truly need more precision than that then perhaps a low power scope with an illuminated reticle is a better way to go. What is the application?

8. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Point blank to 200 yards, .223, with open sights accuracy at that range, but without the problems of older eyes and open sights.

9. 700X-user

700X-user Member

Wireguy, I was in your shoes once. I tried several brands of red dot style scopes. Nothing held up to the recoil of magnum handguns. My wife and I both shoot metallic woodswalk style handgun shoots several times a month. I now own 4 aimpoints and I will never look back. You get what you pay for.

Ed

10. wolfram

Boy, I don't know that you would like the Tasco with the big dot out at 200 yards. But on the other hand, they are priced to where it is worth trying. Heck, if you don't like it on the .223 then take it off and try it on a .22 plinker .... great fun. (I know what you mean about aged eyes and iron sights)

More than likely you will need to spend some big bucks to get good red dot performance out to 200 yards. Those Trijicon ACOG sights are probably what you want but they start at about $1K.

11. TOLIPNUG

TOLIPNUG TS Member

with optics, red dot or scope, you get what you pay for-rick zino

12. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

I have a couple of red dots, and I know this is not a answer to your question.. but.. I put one on a single shot 223 for my daughter a few years ago, opening morning of the juvenile hunt a big doe stepped out 50 yards from us, I turned the scope on, and she never would shoot, I kept saying ok,ok,ok shoot.. she said I cant see the dot, I took the gun and I couldnt see it either, I had it on the brightest setting, the problem.. the morning sun was to our back and it made the dot disappear.. I took it off that morning put on a fixed 4 power and she shot a deer that day at noon.. just something to think about..thanks!

13. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Looks like I will be putting an Aimpoint on the badly abused credit card. LOL Thanks all.

14. mcneeley5

mcneeley5 Member

I just outfitted a .17HMR on a T/C contender with a red dot Bushnell from opticsplanet. I started whuppin' a** on big blacktail jacks right away! What a cool shooter, I have missed a few that I may have got with the Savage rifle (.17) but the pistola is VERY fun with the red sight. The settings are hard to read without my readers on so I just took one of the shop paint markers and marked the OFF settings. The brightness adjustments are good for dusk/dawn shooting.

15. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

I have a Millett that you can try, it's relatively good quality for the price. I think the ground squirels will have the advantage at 200yds though.

Robert

16. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

My EOTech is a halo sight, however it has a 1 moa dot in the middle of a 65moa circle.

17. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

OK, I found an Aimpoint 9000, 1 power, 2 minute dot, 50,000 hour battery life, for 340 delivered. That was way better than Cabelas at 390 plus shipping or Optics planet at 390 delivered. Might have done a little better with extensive research but I wanted it here. It's on the way.

18. wolfram

I think you will be happy with the Aimpoint Wireguy. Those red dots really are fun. Only problem will be keeping magazines loaded.

19. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

good choice which version?

20. Mismost

Mismost TS Member

Agreed you get what you pay for even with red dot sights. You didn't say what the application would be, but for plinking with 22's, I have several under 40 dollar brands. They work, are a very fast sighting system, and have taken a lot of abuse. Both eyes open, put the dot on target and squeeze... Just a ton of fun on 22 rifle or pistol. So far everybody from old men to kids have found them to be easy to use and blast to shoot.

I started with a cheap one just to see how I would like it. Put a much better Aimpoint on a 10/22 and only made 2 trips to the range with it....guy offered me too much money to turn down, so I sold it to him!

Never tried one on a high power rifle or pistol....but you guys have got me thinking about it now. There is a naked AR in the safe, might be fun to try.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.