1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT Red Dot Scopes?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by chiefjon, Nov 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

Excuse my ignorance, but I have never used a "Red Dot Scope" and don't quite understand the purpose. Are these "scopes" that you look through to improve the image or do they function more like a "laser" that puts an aim point on the target? Do you look through the scope or over it. I have been reading some info. but the picture is not coming clear to me. Thinking about putting one an a Ruger Charger 10/22 pistol. Comments or explainations would be appreciated.

JON

2. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Check it out at

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp;jsessionid=DTBBGEKG4TMJDLAQBBJCCONMCAEFGIWE?id=0049759712882a&type=product&cmCat=froogle&cm_ven=data_feed&cm_cat=froogle&cm_pla=1710401&cm_ite=0049759712882a&_requestid=96958

3. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

I used a Tasco on a Ljutic for a couple of years. It didn't change my scores so I removed it and sold it to a friend who mounted it on an air pistol. Deadly on squirrels, I'm told.

4. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

Ahab,

Thanks for the effort...the first web addy is not available and the second one does not address my question. I have scopes on rifles...you look through them, they magnify the image and have a crosshair that is you aim point. What I don't understand is with these small "red dot" scopes is they are 1x (1 power). Does the red dot mearly replace the crosshair and you sight through the scope, or is the red dot projected on the target...if so, what is the difference between what this does and what a "Laser" sight/beam does. Like I said, I am ignorant in this regard.

JON

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

The few I am familiar with simply replace the cross hairs with a red dot. They have been useful for some shotgun shooters who have lost sight in their eye that is on the same side they mount the gun. The sight can be off set so a person can shoot right handed with their left eye.

Others, with no loss of sight in one eye, have tried this type of sight to improve their shooting. Not many have continued this type of use.

Pat Ireland

6. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

Chief:

Red dot type scopes are used primarily on handguns but can also be used
    on rifles. The advantage is they can be used with both eyes open. The
    dot does not have to appear in the center of the lens. Once sighted in,
    where-ever the dot is, is where the bullet will impact. They are very
    effective for hunting, especially early or late in the day when light
    is dim. The dot comes in different diameters expressed as a 5 minute
    dot, eight minute dot, etc. Extremely popular for action pistol events.

7. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Red dots are similar to cross hairs, except you can use both eyes and give you very fast target Acquisition . Also ideal in low light conditions. The dot is too large, evcen at smallest setting for real long range shooting.

8. Don Steele

Don Steele Well-Known Member

Jon,
    Hope I can provide the information you're looking for. In my case, as my eyes "aged", I found traditional pistol sights were becoming less and less useful. I tried a std. low-power Pistol scope, and was VERY unhappy. I should tell you that in my younger years, I was a very active pistol shooter and competitor in a variety of disciplines, and an avid handgun hunter. I made one of my hunting trips to Africa "handguns only". I'm one of the few people who have killed an elephant with a handgun (.375 JDJ in a 14" Contender w/ iron sights). All that said...when I found my ability to shoot handguns impaired, I gave up for a while. After a few years,I tried a "red dot". The first one was a Leopold Gilmore. HUGE improvement. No magnification, just a single aiming point...you put it on the target, both eyes open and squeeze off the shot. That worked so well, that I also tried one on my elephant/buffalo rifle...an ugly, short bbl. .458 Win mag. That HAD been an iron sight system for up-close-and-personal shooting of dangerous game(all my shots on BIG stuff have been 40 yds or less) and I was looking for the same improvement. The Millet red dot works just fine, and has held up to the recoil without issue.
    Hope this helps.

9. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

Thank you very much. Now I think I get it. I will put one on the 10/22 pistol and give it a try. I knew you guys would know.

JON

10. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

I just bought a nice Tasco red dot at Wal-Mart for $33.00. It's a 1x30MM and should work well on your pistol. HMB

11. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

It,s not a scope no magnification . Been years but used one on a AR-15 and it works well .

12. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Another advantage of the red dot (holographic type) reticles has over the laser is in a tactical setting. When several SWAT members have laser dots on a subject, it is hard to distinguise whose laser dot is whose. However, with the holigraphic dots, no beam is cast onto the subject/object.

I have become an NCSTAR distributor and have one of their new tactical 3x9's with the holographic dot. I have one on my AR now and truly like it.

Whiz

13. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

My eyes are pretty good & I use a red dot on a lot of pistols & rifles. I use a C-More for competition & like it a lot. Superb durability,easy to mount on a Weaver rail,reasonable price of about $200 for the Railway model. For longer ranges up to 3-400 yds,you would use an ACOG of up to 4 power & some are 6 power.
    You use both eyes open & just look at the target THRU the sight. They operate at about any eye distance from the scope. The best way to introduce someone to shooting. "Here,put this dot on that target & pull the trigger" I would recomment the C-More style over the tube style for shorter ranges as some tube styles somewhat block the target. Google C-More & ACOG for info. Note that practically every trooper in Iraq & 'Stan has one on his weapon. What does that tell you? PM me if you need more help.
    Tom

14. billn

billn Member

I have one that I use for Turkey hunting, I have tried it on trap and duck hunting, its a 50mm lens, use both eyes, works fine.

15. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I started using a red dot optic on 1911 pistols to play the action games. More recently, I have found them to be the cat's meow when used on .22 rifles. You can get some magnification on the better red dots but that kind of defeats the key feature of these devices which is rapid target aquisition.

If you have ever wanted to be able to roll a running cottontail with a .22 rifle then the red dot is for you. Also great for 'can racing'. I put one on my 10 year old daughter's 10/22 and instantly converted her to a plinking machine. Excellent way for a beginner to learn to shoot accurately. And no, I don't want to hear about how the first .22 has to be a single shot bolt action with crap iron sights because that is what you had and it worked for you.

The downside of the red dot optics is that you have to remember to turn them on and off because the batteries are usually only good for 60-80 hours.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.