1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT: red dot scope on turkey gun?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Don Steele, Jun 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Don Steele

Don Steele Well-Known Member

When I was younger...I was a pretty fair shot with iron-sighted handguns. Even made one trip to Africa where all my hunting was done with them. When my eyes had "aged" to the point that precision handgun shooting had become too difficult, I tried a red dot on my contender..WORKS GREAT. Bolstered by that success, I next put one on my .458 Win Mag DGR. That experience might translate better to your turkey gun. I use the .458 for up close and personal shots...50 yds. or so, and less. WORKS GREAT ALSO.
    Hope this helps.

2. Cat Fish

Cat Fish Member

Wiregy,

I've been useing a one inch UltraDot red dot for the last three years on my turkey gun.

Love it.

Bill

3. LUGNUTZ426

LUGNUTZ426 TS Member

I have one also on an 1187 cantilever barrel. works great for turkey and with a

rifled choke works great for deer also. great in low light conditions short to

medium range. I like shooting with both eyes open. bring a spare battery

4. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Don't use the huge dot sizes, which are intended for tactical pistol shooters. Too large a do and you cover too much of the turkey head.<br>
    <br>
    For example, a 10 MOA dot will cover about a 5" circle at 50 yards. More useful would be a dot in the 1 MOA to 4 MOA range, which would cover from 1/2" to 2" at 50 yards. If the gun is being used for slugs as well, a 1 MOA to 2 MOA dot is best.<br>
    <br>
    A large dot almost dictates that you cover the turkey head with the dot. A 1 MOA dot is small enough that you can adjust the POI so it is at the 12 o'clock position, meaning just above the top of the dot, like using iron sights. There's nothing wrong with covering the head with a dot, but some people like to be able to see the head.<br>
    <br>
    Parallex is a serious issue with most red dot sights. At close range for tactical shooting with handguns and shotguns with slugs and buckshot, it isn't a big issue. It is for long ranges (100 yards) as it effects group size, and in some cases turkey hunting. This is why some use sights like the Bushnell Holosight or the milspec version the EOTech. However, these (Holosights/EOTechs) are very tall sights, and would require a stock with a very tall comb. You might even have to put a comb riser even on a monte carlo comb when using a cantilever barrel.<br.
    <br>
    Batteries can be a definite issue. Some sights go through batteries faster than a politician raises taxes. The EOTech models that use AA batteries that have the small engrave "F" on the armor shield have enhanced electronics that can go 1000 hours on a set of batteries. Some red dot sights can only go a few hours at best.<br>
    <br>
    For our turkey hunting, we stuck with rifle sights. Some shotgun makers offer a smoothbore slug/turkey barrel with screw in choke tubes and rifle sights. Or there are clamp on sights to fit ribs, and they come in both asjustable and non-adjustable versions, and most have fiberoptic rods. Tru-Glo is one common maker. These work quite well, and batteries and parallex are not issues. The clamp on sights are substantially cheaper than a good red dot sight. My 1187 turkey gun came set up this way, but I removed the Tru-Glo sights and replaced them with Trijicon tritium night sights, since I hunt in dim light and at night for coyotes and other varmints (when and where night hunting is legal).<br>
    <br>
    [​IMG]<br>
    This is my 1187 turkey gun, factory stock except for the tritium night sights.<br>
    <br>
    Here's a link to various turkey targets. The best are the ones that show the internal neck bones and the skull, which really shows how small the target actually is, and really demonstrates effective range based on pellet density.<br>
    <br>
    Turkey Targets

5. coyote268

coyote268 TS Member

I messed around with all kinds of turkey sights for my turkey guns and finally settled on two and a half power scopes on two of them and fiber optic on the other one incase of rain. I liked the red dot but I lost it in certain situations. I normally take my glasses off if I have been moving a lot and have worked up a sweat so that was one area I had a problem with the red dot sight. Additionally, some type of backgrounds seem to make it hard to see but here again that is a problem probably unique to me. I do like the scope though. God, I love hunting those birds.
    Dan

6. Lkn4rocks

Lkn4rocks TS Member

Here is a link to a red dot sight that is one of the best for this application.

It has an extremely low profile when mounted on a weaver rail, weight of approx. 1/2 oz, the field of view is more than adequate (as for trap application, the dot is at the transition of the target with the bottom of the sight-window at the top of the trap house). This sight works well for Trap, Skeet, Sporting Clays or Turkey Shoots. It, like most red-dot sights, also eliminates cross-eye-dominate when used both eyes open.

http://www.trijicon-inc.com/user/parts/parts_new.cfm?categoryID=13

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

1187 turkey shotgun

best distance to sight in a red dot scope on a turkey shotgun

best red dot scope for turkey hunting

fitting red dot sight on contender rib

low power turkey scopes

red dot for 1187

sightron red dot for turkey gun

sightron red dot on turkey shotgun