1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT: Rechargeable AA's

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by nspktr1, Mar 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nspktr1

nspktr1 TS Member

You might as well give up. I've tried them all. I'm an insurance inspector and I take on the average 100 pictures or more a day. None of the rechargeable batteries that have a price within reason will continue to re-charge effectively and will degrade each time. The best bet is to just buy some good lithium batteries. They tend to last me a couple of weeks, have gotten as many as 1500 images out of one set in a 7.1 mp Cannon 750 Sureshot.

2. obfd13

obfd13 Member

Duracell rechargeables, 2400mah, and a 15 minute rapid charger from Costco a while back. I can take insurance pics all day on a set of batteries. Always have a spare set available, and never had a problem with any going bad for over a year now.

3. abiezer

abiezer Guest

Rayovac made the 1st and original 15 min rechargable,
    they lead the industry in technology.
    The Rayovac 15 min rechargebles are awesome.

4. Ljutic78s

Ljutic78s Member

Sony Eneloop,the latest in rechargable batteries,come fully charged, hold a charge longer than any other!!!! Hard to beat!! Look on line for more info.
    John

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

We found out about rechargeable batteries in the wireless microphone business.

Characteristically a ni-cad rechargeable battery is lower voltage than its zinc-carbon or alkaline eauivalent.

A ni-cad 9 volt was only around 8.2 volts or so. So they would give out when the sermon was about 3/4 done.

We found some full voltage rechargeables from Varta, and an oriental one named Again & Again that did the job.

The new ones mentioned above are the ticket. Normal walmart rechargeables are only 1.25 fvolt instead of the required 1.5.

HM

6. trappermike

trappermike Well-Known Member

Halfmile, I kinda like a 3/4 sermon battry life. I am usually about done when the preacher is about 3/4 done. I'm gonna get some and donate them. A tax deduction and shorter sermons, I like it.

Mike

7. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

The measured voltage without a load will usually read higher. Measure that same battery while it is actually powering something and you will almost always find a lower voltage. This is similar to the auto batteries of old where you could see the lights working fine on a surface charge but as soon as you kicked in the starter everything went down and would not come back after the starter was turned off. Letting it set for an hour or two and it would again power the small load of a light.

On the battery charge reducing with repeated recharges, if a battery is over charged it can drastically shorten its life. If your charger will not shut down when it senses a full charge, but instead keeps trying to charge the battery, the battery can overheat and be ruined. The same thing can happen if you have a charger that you have to shut down manually.

Another thing that used to be a problem with Ni-Cd batteries was called memory. If a battery was charged before it was discharged fully, say only 50% used and then recharged, it would eventually just die at 50%. Sometimes discharging the battery completely by using a discharge unit, would allow you to recover most of the effective charge. Just using the camera as a discharger would not work because the camera will shut off when the charge dropped below its "stay on" voltage. Memory has not been so much of a problem with modern Ni-Cd cells.

It also is entirely possible, as was posted earlier, that the camera may have problem or has a very heavy loading on the battery.

8. K80433SC

K80433SC Member

I sure am glad that I read all of the posts, before offering anything to this thread.

When I first saw the topic, I was under the impression that you had discovered a rechargeable (reusable) version of the Winchester target load .....AAs

*wink*

9. WarEagle2017

WarEagle2017 Active Member

I agree with abiezer RayOvac 15 min. do what they are suppose do I love mine

10. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I believe Eneloop is a GE and Sanyo brand name, not Sony.

This first URL takes you to a place that sells the same battery for less. The ultra low discharge units are great for things like flashlights you don't use all the time. Ore cameras used once a month.

http://www.greenbatteries.com/gbulsdaanimh.html

This second URL will take you to a place that sells lots of different rechargeables. You may want to investigate the high discharge rechargables.

http://www.batteryjunction.com/aaponiba.html

Another thing I'll suggest is a really good computer controlled conditioner charger. Many of the best can be set for quick charge when needed, and 4 hour for best results.

If you are buying locally, I've had great results with Energizer and Sanyo rechrgeables. However, they don't see to work for long in a 15 minute charger. I've never seen a really good recharger at a retail store, so I think you are stuck with mail order for that.

11. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

K80433SC, wouldn't it be cool if we could start selling our once-fired Winchester primers?

12. halfmile

EE if the Duracells are the alkaline version they will have nice high voltage and can be recharged for a while. Then one day your unit will be full of green goo and corrosion.

I have been retired a couple years, it's possible there is a Duracell rechargeable?

To me Duracell has always meant "alkaline".

Fill me in so I can be up to speed. I still get calls. And I still order special 9V batteries for the priests.

HM

13. halfmile

OK, I couldn't stand the suspense. These are NiMH, Nickel metal hydride.

At around 2.50 a pop they are pricey but should be great.

Now I'm smarter. My new cellphone lasts a lot longer on a charge than the old one too. Must be the same deal.

HM

14. YUKONJACK

YUKONJACK TS Member

I bought a kit at Costco that included a charger,4 triple A,8 double A,2 converter sleeves to C size and 2 converter sleeves to D size.I've had them for about a month and a half,everything has worked well with no problems so far.This is a kit by eneloop made by Sanyo.Costco also has a pack of batteries
    only that just contains AA's and AAA's.Good Luck,Yukon Jack

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.