1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT/ Range Finders

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by schimmy, Apr 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. schimmy

schimmy Member

I'm looking to buy a range finder and was wondering if anyone has any recommendations or can direct me to a place with some impartial reviews. Thanks!

2. 682 beretta

682 beretta Member

SWFA riflescopes.com check out their optics forum and discussion pags

3. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

About 6 years ago I bought a Leica 900 scan. They made a 1200 scan, but who's going to shoot beyond 900 yds anyway.
    It's been a great tool without a bit of trouble. Very accurate as far as I can tell. It's darn hard to hold the little square focus point on a pronghorn out there at 500 yds. I found I needed a good rest to do that. But I like the scanning mode this model featured.
    You can find them cheaper, but I figured I'd buy one that would last.

4. Phil E

Phil E TS Member

Here's the SWFA optics forum site, above. Phil E

5. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

Depends on what you want to do. The range numbers on all of them are about double what you can get in real life. As in most things you get what you pay for. Optics really sucks in the cheap ones so you have to carry binoculars along with a range finder. If you pay a lot more like a Leica or Swarovski, the optics are much better. I use one a lot for Prairie dogs and only the 1200 to 1500 range models will work at 500 yards on a prairie dog mound in the middle of the day. Sure they will do 1200 yards at night on the side of house painted white but not out in a dog town with bright sunshine. I finally bit the bullet and bought the Swarovski range finder. It works out to my longest prairie dog shots and has great optics but my bank account still feels it.

jim brown

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.