1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT:Rabbit Trap Bait?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by TC, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TC

TC TS Member

The rabbits are decimating our shrubs and small trees. Have been trying to catch them with a couple small wire live traps but not having much success. What would be the most effective bait to use? Would appreciate any help.

2. Hydra

Hydra TS Member

12 ga, 410 ga, air rifle, jack russel. All do a great job.

3. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Raw carrots always worked for Elmer Fudd.

4. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

Well you knew what was going happen.Sweet sixteen. The carrots do good but shred them they will smell more.

5. GRUMPN

GRUMPN TS Member

We always used a slice of apple.

6. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

Always used an onion sliced in half behind the trigger and rub the other half on the opening floor of the box.

7. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

I use apple wedges. Wayne

8. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Peanut butter.

HM

9. Model Number 12

Model Number 12 TS Member

TC, Rabbits will enter cage traps without hesitation, with the right attractor.when they are set in the right location. Apple slices, as recommended here will work but they must be fresh (a little browning is okay) and in this cold weather they quickly freeze and have very little scent. A better attractor is fox urine sprayed on lettuce and placed in the back of your cage trap. I don't know what it is that rabbits find attractive with it, but it works. There are also a number of prepared baits available, one maker I can recommend very highly is Carroll Black of 5523 SR 514 in Glenmont,Ohio. His phone numberis 330-378-3201. I have used Carroll's products for over 25 years and will vouch for his quality. Give him a call, and good luck trapping. As an added benefit, you get to eat the rabbits, they don't come much fresher.

10. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

Hide behind a tree and make a noise like a carrot....

11. Ohio Bob

Ohio Bob Member

I have 2 old rabbit traps that I used when a friend wanted rabbits to train his beagles. They are built like any live trap but are made out of sollid wood.

I understand that the rabbit will enter these easier because it's more like a warren.

I put some corn outside of the trap and a trail inside to some corn in the back and I was getting rabbits all of the time. Here in Ohio.

OB

12. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

I tried carrots and lettuce but the "rabbit" I had the next morning had two white stripes down it back.

13. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

Ohio Bob we made tunnel type box traps for rabitts back in the late 50's early 60's. I think we baited them with carrots or apples. Just a slider door at the front end that ran in a groove and connected to an up right in the center that suported a long stick that was tied to a notched trigger that went into a hole near the far end. Once in a while we would get a two toned p$$$y with a fluid drive and that would be the end of that trap. Sometimes we would make them with hardware cloth at the far end. Hell we were only about ten years old. Saved a lot on shotgun shells and put rabbits in the pot. Bill

14. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

TC:

Any chance of protecting the trunk of individual plants by wrapping them with chicken wire, hardware cloth, or some of the commercially available plastic tubes made for the purpose?

sissy

15. TC

TC TS Member

Think my problem is the lack of bait scent because of freezing. Wrapped tree trunks after seeing the damage but with the snow build up they are now chewing off the lower branches above the wrap.

16. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

I don't know if this would work, but most rabbits are attracted to salt. I would think a salt tablet from your local hardware would work?!?

Danny

17. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Lettuce usually works for me, I don't trap them, I just feed them and I was surprised even the Quail like it ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

18. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Lettuce usually works for me, I don't trap them, I just feed them and I was surprised even the Quail like it ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

19. racer

racer TS Member

Falcon

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.