1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT Questions on Cateract Surgery

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by BRGII, Jan 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BRGII

BRGII TS Member

I have found that I will be getting cataract surgery to both eyes about 2 weeks apart starting with the first Jan. 27. I would like to find out from others, that have had this surgery, what is the time frame from surgery to shooting and if it increases the visual acuity or decreases it. Thanks BRGII

2. DJM

DJM Member

My cataract surgury was about 20 years ago so the recoup time is no longer accurate due to improved methods. But my walking around/distance vision improved. The downside was I lost the ability to focus my eye on different distances. I could no longer read unless I wore reading glasses. They fit a new lens to the dimensions of your eye, in my case with good distance vision.

3. cdan12

cdan12 TS Member

I started shooting about two weeks after having my second one done,might have been a little early but had no problems,had my eyes checked wednesday , and they were better than 20/20,but I had good eyes before the cataracts,you will see much better right after the surgery,in my case I went from not being able to see the targets (just a blur) to near perfection, Dan Witcher

4. Wahoo

Wahoo TS Member

Piece of cake. In and out of the same-day surgery in about 5 hours. You will see everything you saw and see it as well as you did before the cataracts developed, or at least that was my experience and I have had cataract surgery in each eye. The no-shooting ban was 4 weeks when I had it done, yours may be more or less. Do what the doctor tells you to do, you cannot afford to listen to what other people say you can do or not do, only the surgeon can tell you that because patient recovery time is dictated to a large degree by the patient's physical situation. Go for it and you will be glad you did. Good luck to you.

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

As stated above, and be sure to use the eye drops they prescribe to the letter.

If it's done right, and you have 20-20 at a distanc e you will probably have to get some 2 dollar Wally world readers of about 1.75 strength or so.

My left eye was like looking through a piece of waxed paper, and now they are both just superb.

I talked to many people to find out who was the best eye guy in my area, and I'm glad I did. You only get one pair.

good luck, it's a piece of cake.

HM

6. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

you got good advice & info. from everybody,, had my right eye done 1&1\2 yrs. ago, would do it again in a heartbeat.Dr.said my eyes would not be 20 x20 but very big improvement he was right on, no glasses pass drivers exam,,, read,, etc. no problems follow your Drs. instructions. Best of luck,, Ross Puls

7. paul7177

paul7177 Member

I had the Crystalens multi-focal lenses implanted in both eyes about 3 months ago. My left eye is now 20/15 and my right eye is 20/20. The close reading takes several months to adjust, but it is slowly getting better. I am happy!

8. BRGII

BRGII TS Member

Thanks guys, I appreciate the answers and information. I'm 72 and have always had good vision until last year. My shooting scores dropped like a rock and I couldn't understand why. Hopefully I can improve enough to beat Gary Bulley as the only thing I could beat him at was handicap, because he usually did not shoot them. Thanks again Richard

9. willing

willing Member

I had the left done on
    Dec 22 and started shooting a week and a half later. Am having the right done Feb 2. I asked the MD about shooting and he said anytime. I'm not sure he understood recoil so I waited. Plan to do the same next time. I had a "TORIC" lens put in. It corrects for astigmatizm(still need glasses for reading), Cost $845.00 extra but corrected to 20/25. They have a lens called "RESTOR" which will correct for far and near vission if you don't have astig.

Bill

10. ke4yyd

ke4yyd Member

Word of caution, if you are a shooter and want the best distance vision then do not get the new type lens that allow one to read close up and distance. They are not perfected yet and will give you compromise distance vision. Another option some people do is the lens in one eye for distance and the other for reading. Again this is not a good choice. Opt for both eyes distance vision lens and get a hand full of reading glasses from Walmart.

I had my eyes done last year and very happy with the results. The Doc suggested the dominant eye first to prevent eye dominance problems later on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.