1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT Question regarding shotmaker

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by avidtrapshooter, Jan 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. avidtrapshooter

avidtrapshooter TS Member

Hey everyone,
    Well I had some spare time on my hands today and thought I would fire up the homemade shotmaker and make some shot. Well I had everything all melted and heated up and I dropped it down to start pouring and it just started balling up like crazy on the ramp! I kept putting on soap stone and it would help for about 2 seconds and then going back to what it was doing. What I mean by balling up is the shot will be dripping nicely out of the dripper and then as soon as it hits the ramp it gets hung up and just starts making big blobs. We had the same problem on our first run and corrected it, but no matter what I did this time it wouldn't stop. I am starting to get frustrated, I believe I asked this question last year.
    If any of you have seen this and would have a clue how to correct it I would really appreciate the help.
    So far I have polished up the ramp, so it is very smooth. Added a ton of soapstone before and while pouring. Heat is not an issue it is plenty hot enough, I put 3 cold ingots at about 2 lbs a piece in the lead and it didn't skip a beat when it was working properly. The drippers have been re-drilled and cleaned up. Any thoughts and ideas are welcomed. Thanks in advance.
    Zane

2. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Zane, You may have the ramp too smooth. I did that once, Polished it right up almost shiney. Had the same problem you got. I've found that a slightly rough finish, About 320 grit/400 works well. It needs something to hold the soapstone. It's possible to get the ladle too full also and cause the same problem.

Jim

3. chickenlegs

chickenlegs TS Member

i think you will find the air temp. will have a lot to do with this problem--how cold was it?--where do you live ?---call me i may be able to help you----330-455-6607

4. chickenlegs

chickenlegs TS Member

i think you will find the air temp. will have a lot to do with this problem--how cold was it?--where do you live ?---call me i may be able to help you----330-455-6607

5. avidtrapshooter

Jim, What would be the best way to rough it up again? Just take some 60 grit sand paper and scuff it up a bit? The ramp is almost a mirror it is so smooth right now.

The air temperature in the shop was about 40 degrees, last time we poured shot it was about 55 or so and it worked fine.

chickenlegs, what would be a good time to call? I don't want to bother you at work or anything.

6. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

Hey Avidtrapshooter -

Did you bother read Jim101's post??? He clearly stated 320-400 grit. Why do you bother ask for assistance if you are not willing to listen?

JK

7. avidtrapshooter

I completely read that wrong, I thought he meant sand the ramp until it felt like 320 grit. I kinda feel stupid now, lol. Still wouldn't sanding it with 320 just make it smoother? It is already like a mirror, wouldn't I have to scuff it with a really coarse sandpaper first to make it really rough and then re sand with 320? I don't know, I can't even think right now.
    Zane

8. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Zane just get some 320 wet/dry paper and sand the shine off it. Sand it dry perpendicular to the lead flow. Try not to round off the edge of the lip.

Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.