1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT Question for turkey hunters

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Brian in Oregon, May 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    A pistol grip does not necessarily help you to "control and aim" a gun. Especially one handed. You need both hands to properly aim the gun.<br>
    <br>
    The main idea behind a pistol grip is to provide a grip for your hand for a gun with an in line stock configuration. The stock is moved upwards, closer to the axis of the bore, to send recoil straight into the shoulder. The result is less felt recoil and less muzzle climb. A conventional stock acts as a fulcrum. Because of the stock design, there is no practical way to use a conventional grip.<br>
    <br>
    Having said that, you're probably talking about the Benelli Steadygrip on some of their turkey guns. There are pluses and minuses to it.<br>
    <br>
    First, the Benelli grip has a soft grip, which helps reduce felt recoil to the hand. It has a somewhat soft material for its surface.<br>
    <br>
    The pistol grip helps with comfort for extended periods of sitting with the gun shouldered and the forend resting on your elevated knee(s).<br>
    <br>
    The pistol grip is more easily used with gloves.<br>
    <br>
    However, any recoil reduction this setup has is insignificant when compared to a gas operated auto. The Benelli is recoil operated, and the recoil level is closer to a pump than to a gas auto.<br>
    <br>
    In addition, the stock design is wrong for a pistol grip anyway. Oh, it works, but if you look at the photo, the comb drops, causing more recoil to be transmitted to the shoulder, and worse, the cheek, when compared to a straight or monte carlo comb. This stock is set up for a bead sight or very low profile "rifle" sights, but it's not well set up for high "rifle" sights or optics. Brownells sells Scope-Eze comb risers, and this gun needs it for most users who use optics.<br>
    <br>
    In short, the grip helps, but it does not help as much as claimed. If you want maximum recoil reduction, consider a gas auto. In fact, the Remington SP-10 10ga has less recoil than the Benelli, even with the Steady Grip.<br>
    <br>
    Even better than the Steady Grip, in my opinion, is the Benelli M2 Comfort Tech stock, which has a comb insert that can be set flush with the top of the stock, or raised for use with optics. This stock also incorporates a built in recoil reduction system. (The ideal Benelli stock would be a combination of the Comfort Tech with the pistol grip of the Steady Grip stock. Alas, they don't appear to be making one at this time.)<br>
    <br>
    [​IMG]<br>
    <br>
    One other consideration... Check if your state has passed or is trying to pass the newer versions of "assault weapon" bans which now define an "assault weapon" by a single feature, instead of multiple features. For shotguns, a single feature is simply a pistol grip, automatically making it an "assault weapon". Such laws are ignorant BS, but nevertheless, they could force those who bought these guns for this specific feature to have to order a more conventional replacement stock, negating the reason for selecting that particular model in the first place.<br>
    <br>
    One other gun that uses new stock technology is the Remington 1187 Super Mag turkey gun with a thumbhole stock and an oversize forend. I tried one of these, and no thanks. While the elevated comb is a step in the right direction, unlike Benelli, and puts the axis of the bore in line with the shoulder, the thumbhole is awkward and the hole was too small for my thumb. Someone with smaller hands might be able to make use of it, but I can't. The forend is way to fat for me. And there is no checkering on these stocks, making them very slippery. Remington has the right idea, but did not refine it enough. And as you might guess, some of the newer "assault weapon" bans cite a thumbhole stock on a shotgun, particularly a semi-auto shotgun, as a banned feature, even though thumbhole stocks are not military stocks.<br>
    <br>
    BTW, for turkey hunting, recoil is not really an issue. You're not going to be firing that many shots to make recoil a big issue. However, if you're doing a lot of practice, sighting in or pattern testing, it could well be an issue.<br>
    <br>
    As for me, I'm using a Remington 1187 with a synthetic monte carlo stock and a Remington R3 recoil pad (Limbsaver). I've used this for turkey hunting, but its primary use is for coyote hunting, which for all practical purposes is the same type of hunting (sitting still with the gun ready for long periods). Works for me.<br>
    <br>
    [​IMG]

2. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Doug, most of the time I just use an ole M12 trap gun. I do however on occasion shoot them with a lil 101 20ga.

sidenote, by the way Doug that M12 has a bent barrel. I thought it a must since they have such a long neck.LOL

3. Finprof

Finprof TS Member

My own preference is for a lightweight gun for turkey hunting. I do a lot more walking in rugged terrain than I do shooting and don't really notice recoil when a tom is strutting in front of me. I don't particularly care for semiautomatics because they tend to weigh more than pumps. Also, a second shot is rarely needed or useful because if you miss or wound on the first shot you will not get a second chance at a frontal shot. The only time a semi is useful is when you call in a double because it gives you a quick shot a second bird. When this happened to me, (once so far) surprisingly, I was able to shuck the pump without scaring off the second bird. I wouldn't count on being so lucky again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.