1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT/ Question for Paul at Alliant powder

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Shooting Coach, Nov 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Dear Fred

I am not Paul, great guy that he is, but why not go to their website! Loads of loads! LOL

2. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

Look up any Red Dot recipe and simply substitute Promo for Red Dot. Follow the rest of the listed components for that recipe, and you'll be fine.

Oh, and switch to Green Dot for handicap. ;-)

~Michael

3. IM390

IM390 Member

I called Alliant and requested a new book. They sent me the old book with a new two-color(green printing on white text paper) cover. The web site recipes are even older that that. And use green dot for 16 yard as well. Read Shotgun Stuff by Don Zutz and find out how good green dot really is.

4. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

D.Z. wrote more conflicting BS about Green Dot than he did even for 800x and that's saying something!

Neil

5. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

It appears that Alliant has seriously cut the budget for the publication of data. Most of their new powders don't included pressure data and the loads are very limited in component selection. They even tell you to use data from another company for their "clone" version of it's powder. I'm not too sure I trust that strategy. Powders may be close enough that some data might be usable, but I doubt it would be that exact. Using Red Dot Data for Promo might get you in the ball park, but I wouldn't be using the top pressure loads. Same thing for using "Clays" data for Clay Dot powder. I'd stay clear of the higher pressure loads and be sure not to swap components around.

It's pretty poor when a reloader's best option is to send some shells out for pressure testing on his own. It would be nice to have something published by the manufacturer to compare them to.

6. Alliant Reloading

Alliant Reloading TS Member

Hello Fred,

Thanks for using our product.

Yes, we will be publishing new reloading info very soon, say early 2008. Dick Quesenberry has been working on updating the shotshell and centerfire portions of our manual, and it is being proofread even as I type. Hopefully the new info will make more people happy. And if you can't find what you are looking for, please call Ben at 800/276-9337 as you did with your current load. We maintain our 800 number and a knowlegable human resource for that reason.

Thanks again and shoot well.

Paul

7. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

8. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

Fred, is that with a straight walled hull? Thanks Ben

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.