1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT Question for any car dealership salesmen

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Big Al 29, Oct 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

I am trading in my truck.

I used carfax to check out used vehicles I am interested in buying.

I then decided to run my own VIN as it says there were some incidents.

Everything checked out until I got down to the last line and it said my vehicle was sold at an auction last month as a Repo. in the Desert Southwest and it had 129,000 miles on it.

Obviously it is false as I have it in my driveway now with 99k on it. I have the title, current registration, and current insurance card.

Carfax said I can ammend the problem by providing a copy of the Title, current registration and a copy of the bill of sale. I leased the vehicle then financed the residual once the lease was up. I have no idea where the bill of sale would be. I can send the first two no problem. i have no idea where I can get a copy of the bill of sale.

My bottom line is this. Am i going to have a problem when I go and trade the truck in on Saturday? Is this bogus record going to halt any processes??

Thanks!!!!!

2. Bernie

Bernie TS Member

You're screwed.

3. jimx200

jimx200 Member

Most dealers do NOT use Carfax, in my experience. While I like the service, it's not perfect. A copy of your registration should work just fine for Carfax to cross reference.
    SMSynder is the go-to guy here on the forum...guy knows his stuff.

4. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

Bernie: Thanks, I'll sleep better tonight.

Jimx200: I thought a copy of the title and the current registration will be sufficient for Carfax to remove the erronous report, i was just hoping a dealer could tell me as long as I got the title, and the current registration, it would be fine.

SMSynder: Any thoughts, suggestions??

5. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

I am not smsnyder but I would say that until you can prove otherwise, you will take a hit on the value. We use carfax on each and every car and truck that we take in trade and sell. Part of the permanent record.

Good luck, John

6. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

It might be time to lawyer up. Have an attorney write them a letter explaining that they correct the info or they will be held liable for any financial loss that you incurr because of the error.

Don

7. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

Carfax does make mistakes. There information is NOT allways accurate. Most times it is correct. If you trade car in you must sign a mileage statement with correct mileage . If mileage is wrong and you signed off on it it can come back on you big time. You must get the information corrected at car fax if wrong. If the mileage on your truck was 129,000 when you purchased it i would go back to the dealer you purchased car from. They have a big problem now. Force them to buy vehicle back at orginal purchase price. Damages possible.

8. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

What was the mileage when you purchased truck?

9. cimmaronkid

cimmaronkid TS Member

Most dealers use carfax but only bring it out to hit you over the head when it is to the DEALERS advantage. Carfax is not a state or federal agency, they collect records to use on used vehicles and sell this information for profit. They make mistakes. Most odo statements have 3 boxes: True miles, milage over 100000, or true miles unknown which we call a box C. Box C is where you really lose your value. Ignore carfax and go trade and don't let them use it against you.

10. LUGNUTZ426

LUGNUTZ426 TS Member

I RECENTLY CAME ACROSS TWO VEHICLES THAT HAD CLEAN CARFAX REPORTS. ONE OF THEM WAS SMACKED IN THE REAR SO BAD THE TRANS CROSSMEMBER WAS BENT. THE OTHER WAS 2 CARS CUT IN HALF AND WELDED INTO ONE. IF THERE WAS NO SALVAGE TITLE OR INSURANCE CLAIM FROM A COMPANY THAT SHARES THEIR INFO, THEY WOULD NEVER KNOW. BOTH OWNERS HAD MASSIVE ELECTRICAL PROBLEMS AND WERE LOOKING FOR WORK TO BE PERFORMED UNDER WARRANTY. SORRRRRY! THERE IS MASSIVE FINE PRINT(DISCLAIMERS) IN A CARFAX REPORT TO PROTECT THEM IN EVENT THEY SCREW UP. PITY ANYONE THAT SOLELY RELIES ON THEM WHEN BUYING A USED CAR.

11. cdconley

cdconley TS Member

Big Al,

By know way am I an expert on this or on buying or selling cars. But I do assume that like any other reporting agency they can be held responsible for the accuracy of the information they put out. But like with any other liability issue two factors must be present before you stand a chance of any recovery. 1. They must have knowledge that the information that harmed you is false. At this point it’s simply a mistake. 2. You have to be able to prove your loss. In other words you would have to prove that you were unable to get the true value or that the delay in clearing this up cost you in lost value. So if it were me I would send a certified letter (return receipt requested) to Carfax telling them that you found incorrect information that is effecting the value of your vehicle. After that I wouldn’t worry about anything until after you have an identifiable loss. That’s when I’d go talk to a lawyer. But until you can both prove a financial loss and prove that Carfax was aware of the error there is really nothing that matters at all. Good luck!

12. guncase

guncase TS Member

I am an auto wholsaler, and there are things you need to address. Simple yes or no,,My first Question is ,,Did you buy the truck new?
    Is the dealership still in business?

Does your state issue date and milage at the time of purchase on the title?

Have you called the State Offices? In Wisconsin, if you buy a car and the info furnished is found to be incorrect, You may be entitled to ALL of your money , and whatever you spent on the vehicle! From the selling dealership.

The dealership is required , in most states , to retain sales info for the State Dept of Motor Vehicles for a period of 5 yrs.
    Your State D.O T. should have a department that deals with title errors and milage inacuracys.
    My first call would be to that dept . They can and will guide you.

Carfax is wrong about 50% of the time. Paul

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

does carfax make mistakes