1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT Question About Verizon FIOS Service ??

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Ed Y, Oct 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

I'm getting ready to order the FIOS service and a friend told me that he has a friend that had a glitch with the service. According to him, the time elapsed when changing the channel was excessive and he had the service discontinued. Did anyone here have this or any other problems? Please reply before I make the plunge.

Ed Yanchok

2. chessney

chessney TS Member

I have Fios internet connection not tv. The internet service is the best without question. I've had a bunch of em and fios is by far the best. Going to differnt web sites is like changing the channel on your tv. It's that quick...Ziggy

3. Ed Y

Do they have to run the fiber-optic cable throughout the house?

4. chessney

chessney TS Member

The come in your house and install a box approx.18w/20h/8d on a wall in your basement. They run fiber to your computer connection at no extra charge.Now if you get TV,internet or phone, they all come from that box. If you go to Fios's web page, the show you a complete diagram of what they do.. I knew when they were comming so I mounted a piece of plywood on the wall to make it look decent...Ziggy

5. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I have it for telephone and Internet and plan to add television when it becomes available here next month. So far, it's great.

Ed

6. Andy Ott

Andy Ott Guest

I think the key word here is BASEMENT,right Ed?

7. Ed Y

If I order it now, we get a package deal as well as 10.00 off per month. I think that I'll order now and try to put off installation for about a month to give me time to clear a path, in the basement, for the installer.

8. Andy Ott

Andy Ott Guest

I think I know what you mean LOL!

9. Andy Ott

Andy Ott Guest

You might find stuff down there you never knew you had!

10. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    They'll pretty much put the box where you want it, but they prefer to install it at the MPOP (Minimum Point of Presence), which is generally where your present phone line enters. This box needs power, so that's also a consideration. It does not have to be installed in a basement. The LAN cable is run to a wireless router. Computers can be hard wired to it, but since it's wireless the only criteria is that it be in a location where the signal will be even throughout the house, or if the computers are in one end of the house, it can be located there for better signal strength.

11. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

There is no fiber run within your home..and any extra desired custom cabling outside the amount of agreed upon TV connections is at the homeowners expense...the fiber only comes up to your house terminating into the ONT box mounted on the exterior of your house usually where your original phone service interface box was mounted..this is so the ONT can be wired to utilize your pre-existing wiring

12. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Ed the delay in channel changing is for digital channels only. Since all of Fios TV is digital, there will be seconds of delay before the new channel is visible. It could be as much as 5 seconds. The same thing happens with Comcast. Analog channels switch immediately; digital channels take seconds to switch.

13. chessney

chessney TS Member

Calvin, you must not know what you speak of. The box is not on the outside of your house. The box is mounted inside and yes you have to have electricty (plug outlet) run to it...Ziggy

14. nspktr1

nspktr1 TS Member

All content on FIOS is digital, all analog is converted before it is sent to your filter connection. The delay is for HD signals only which is a formatting lapse in your TV.

15. 870

870 Well-Known Member

Ed,

To reply to your original question, I agree with ZZT. Digital cable has a noticeable delay when changing channels when you are scrolling through them. I have cable, not Fios, and it only occurs on the TV set up with digital cable. The regular cable operates normally. Has nothing to do with HD, at least in my situation.

I think it is common to all digital cable, as well as Fios it seems.

16. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I worked for Verizon in Texas as a FIOS support engineer...placement of the box just depends on your homes previous setup...they always try to do the job in a manner that takes the least manhours and modification to what your home utilities interfaces are..sometimes its a real fiasco to get all the services in a home tied together at a commomn point

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.