1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT Quality Squirrel Rifle Copper JSR

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Jim101, Jan 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

The coopers are very nice rifles indeed. If you can find an older remington 541S you will have a very accurate 22 rifle. Mine will shoot sub moa groups with just about any ammo except the hyper velocity stuff.

Jim

2. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

I had a really nice squirrel gun until I gave it to my son when he graduated high school a number of years ago.

It was a pretty good tack driver for a semi automatic.

I had a Ruger 10/22 with a sporter stock with a sling, and a full size 3 X 9 scope on it.

I also carried a couple extra magazines too.

Heck of a nice setup for squirrels.

Hauxfan!

3. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

You can't beat ther Ruger 10-22 for squirrel hunting, as Hauxfan said. They are very acurate guns and with the right ammo will kill any squirrel ya can see.

4. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Chip, I put a Shilen Stainless bull on my Ruger 77 and with Wolf target it will shoot less then a 1/4 inch at 50 yards with a fixed 20X Leopold.Jeff

5. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

Have a Green Mountain target barrel on my Ruger 10/22 and am looking at a 5-shot .274 inch target at 48 yards using Wolf Match ammo. The gun has a 4X12 Leupold VarXIIC AO scope, laminated Volquartsen stock and Volquartsen trigger. I almost have the cost of a Cooper in it as I have extra barrels, stocks, etc....

6. Roger IL

Roger IL TS Member

The Cooper is in a class of it's own. Much better fit and finish and will out shoot any 22 made in the USA.................Roger

7. claybrdr

How much better than a quarter inch at 50 yards do you reckon a Cooper will do?????

Fit and finish? Definitely. You'll look great at the gun club and might be able to convince yourself it was money well spent. (sorta like a Spolar owner that thinks his shells out shoot those on a MEC 9000)

Out shoot? The Cooper test targets are shot with a 36X scope in a windless environment. I'll put my 40X .22LR up against any Cooper you care to drag out.

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

I was very proud of the groups my Winchester 52 D match 22 rifle would shoot. Then one day, I don't know why, I got a used Remington single shot 22 kids gun. The difference between it and my Winchester 52 D was minimal. An older Remington 22 single shot rifle is a very accurate gun and a lot of fun to shoot.

Pat Ireland

9. Tim Lee

Tim Lee Member

Frank -

I'm not familiar with the Cooper, but here's my .02 on some other 22s.

I've owned a Ruger 77/22 for a little over 25 years and just LOVE the way it shoots, accuracy-wise... Unfortunately, that's only when fed with a quality (read "much more expensive") ammo. It's taste, especially at 75 yards and further, runs in the Lapua, Eley, and Wolf Match realm. It'll do "OK" (about 1" group) out to 50 yards with cheaper stuff, however at 75 to 100 the groups open up pretty badly with everything but high dollar stuff. I've shot some 1-1.25" groups with it using Wolf Match and Lapua. Previous to it, I had a 10/22, but sold it almost immediately when I got the 77/22 because it just wasn't in the same class accuracy-wise. It could've just been the particular 10/22 I had, but I wouldn't have even counted on hitting a squirrel with it beyond 40-50 yards.

A few years ago, due to my son shooting in 4H competitions, I picked up a Remington 581, and later a single shot 580 that'd had a pretty rough life (I'm pretty picky about how my 77/22 is handled, and by whom... I only paid $85 and $125 for the 580 and 581). The 581, once I JB polished the barrel, will now shoot Wally World Federal 510 HVs pretty consistently into a 1.75" to 2" group at 100 yards. Although it'll shoot maybe a 1/4" to 1/2" tighter at 100 yards with Eley, Lapua, or Wolf, I seldom do because it seems to shoot the cheaper ammo fine. The 580 single shot is ALmost as accurate, but doesn't seem to care what ammo it uses at all(haven't bedded it or done anything but a good cleaning to it).

"Last but certainly not least" on the list are both my son and my favorite "fun to shoot" rifles for 22LR... We have a couple Henry Lever Actions (H001T Octagon barrels) in 22LR that will hold their own with all but the 77/22, and do so using the cheaper Federal 510 High Velocity ammo. Using the Federal 510s we have shot AAA scores in both Smallbore and Pistol Cartridge Silhouette using them. Both will shoot "just a bit" more accurate at 100yards with Standard Velocity Eley, but it's barely measurable.

my .02,

-Tim

10. VNVET

VNVET Member

Here's mine and it's better than a Cooper, IMHO

<a href="http://s162.photobucket.com/albums/t265/jjacks58/?action=view&current=Squirrelgun1smallpic.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

I hope this works!

11. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

ridg300,
    Rolex, Seiko, Casio... which one is the most accurate (hint: it's also the least expensive) Now which one would you want on your wrist? So if you want to hunt squirrels with a Cooper, then by all means go for it! There is also nothing wrong with an Anschutz. But if you feel like indulging, and going American-made, then Cooper is the way to go.

12. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Here's my tree rat sniper rifle a Rem 541S. Jim

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v337/Jim45/Gun%20stuff/?action=view&current=My541S001.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v337/Jim45/Gun%20stuff/?action=view&current=My541S003.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

13. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

I wondered if anyone was going to mention the Anschutz. My 54 sporter in 22 LR shoots a pretty good group if I can hold it. The Leupold helps.

Danny

14. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

I'm surprised at no mention of the fine kimber rimfires. they are superb shooters.

Jim

15. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I have had two coopers that wouldnt shoot- returned one of them 3 times - so dont assume anything but in the end it worked out

Heck- marlin 22s are often one holers so dont rule them out

The Remington bolt actions usually do well

The Ruger 10/22 T with the bull barrel is nice--

I havent owned or shot a savage 22 but good reviews

Price doesnt mean it shoots

Gene

16. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

Frank, I'd never say anything bad about the Cooper, Anschutc,or Kimbers and if money's not a problem;then go for it. Take the extra money you'd save on one of the other guns mentioned and buy several flats of trap loads and shoot more trap. LOL

Remember, the squirrel isn't going to know if he was shot with a Ruger, Remington or a CZ. I have a CZ-452-2E that shoots super with the target ammo such as Wolf etc. Also respectable with,as Chip mentioned, the WW Super-X ammo.--Steve

17. claybrdr

Good point, Jim. I use a Neil Jones rimfire gage to sort 17 HMR and 22lr ammo by rim thickness.

18. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Well, I can tell you this about Cooper Rifles... I have a friend who posts here that has had two coopers that the bolts would not stay in them. One a .22 hornet and the other a .223. They have issues sometimes just like any other company. Not only that they handeled the problems poorly. I am not a fan as a result of Ricks troubles with them. I almost bought his Cooper .22 Hornet but then realized that if they were going to traet Rick the way they were they would do the same to me. They would not fix the damn bolt issue. So it does happen. My 7722 will shot as good as anything out there and I would bet cash money on that. The gun shoots in one ragged hold at 50 yards.Jeff

19. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Jim, your 541-S probably doesn't like hyper-velocity ammo because most of it, with the exception of Remington's Yellow Jacket, has slightly longer brass than standard stuff and the 541-S barrel has a match throat so the mouth of the longer brass touches the rifling. Like me, you may even find that you cannot extract unfired Stingers, etc., because the bullet is stuck in the rifling.

Ed

20. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

One of the most accurate bullets is the high velocity winchester hollow points- why?

Its made on the newest equipment-- I read that in a review in some shooting publication and guess what? they were correct-

It also is one of the least expensive

Gene

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.