1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT - Quality of Volvo's - OT

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by krieghoffkrusher, Mar 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. krieghoffkrusher

krieghoffkrusher TS Member

Anyone out there have experience with Volvo's good or bad? I'm looking at a 2005 S60 with 27,000 miles. Do they last as long as they used to? I know older volvo oweners liked to see how many times they could flip the odometer. do they still last that long? I'm also looking at a 2004 S60 that has 57,000 and if they last like they used to I might go with the higher mileage car and save some about $5k.

2. krieghoffkrusher

Thanks Pat, that's what I was afraid of. My uncle has an older volvo that has well over 300k miles on it. He takes pride in the amount of disrepair the car will keep running in. I need to purchase a car with in the next month and woudl like to stay around 20k and the volvo's in the price range seemed like a lot of car for the money. If anyone has any suggestions they would be welcomed.

3. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

My wife's brother-in-law had a late model Volvo and he dumped it after the 2nd autotranny was replaced by the factory on warranty.

4. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

P3AT is correct. It's one of the few companies that Ford acquired that the quality went into the $hitter. I've dealt with a lot of Volvos and simply put, they are NOT what they use to be! Not even close.

Tron

5. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Tron is right on, stay away from Volvo unless you want to experience a lot of high repair bills

6. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

Kia's are the way to go!!

7. blackfoot

blackfoot Member

Weird, I must be the only Vovo owner who thinks his Volvo is better than old! I own a 2004 XC70 w/90K and have never had a problem: not one thing. I get 24.5 MPG all around, drive alot @ 75-80, it's great in snow and ice( I live in the mountains), it handles great,change spark plugs @ 60K and change oil about every 5K.I have owned 5 older Volvos and they become money pits and they are not as nice driving. I would buy another. I bought mine because there are very few AWD station wagon choices that get 25MPG(plus they have big front seats for people who are larger than the average Japanese.

Go figure!

8. exnavy81

exnavy81 TS Member

I had a 2002 s60 awd while I can tell you it was a nice car I can also tell you the premium you pay for that supposed quality is not worth it. I owned the car from 18k miles to 52K miles the emergency brake locked in the activated position and broke the rear wheel housing. Extended warrenty wouldn't cover it. $1500 4 times in three years the stupid thing wouldn't recognize the key chip or just wouldn't start, and left me stranded. $150 dollar tune ups. Oh yea I lost a key and remote. The price to replace them $475. My sister in law bought a Toyota Prius. I was laughing at her every day. Shes 200k miles with no problems and will laugh at me till I die. O yea the stupid plastic piece that holds the gas cap on breaks about once a year to the tune of $55, they don;t cover the cheap plastic parts under warrenty either, and lastly while I was writing this my wife walked past and looked at it. quote "I hope he hasn't bought it yet"

9. trapperpg

trapperpg Member

Based on personal experience with my '97 S90, A Volvo is much like a Ducati. They both will quickly make a mechanic out of their owners.

PG

10. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

I don't know how old you are talking when you mention Volvo reliability. My wife and I bought a 1971 S142 for our first car after we were married. It was a demo with 6500 miles. We paid $3100 for it, tax and license included. It had lots of room, and lots of technological innovations for the time, such as disc brakes all around. It also cost us more in repairs (proportional to the time and our income) than any car we have owned since. It would eat an exhaust system like clockwork every 20-30 thousand miles. You don't know how inconvenient that can be until it happens in rural southern Utah on a Sunday morning. Good luck finding somebody to work on it then and there! It would wear out a set of tires every 20 thousand or so, but then tires were not as long-lasting as they are now. I think we got about 40 thousand on a set of brake pads. It needed a clutch at 30,000 and a valve job at 65,000. It trashed a timing gear at about 140,000. It was a rust bucket by six years old, but they used a lot of salt on the Michigan highways then.

By way of contrast our next car was a VW Dasher that we drove about 170,000, then sold to a coworker who drove it another 100,000 with little trouble. We also had a Olds Achieva we drove about that much and then gave to our oldest son, and an Astro Van with about 165,000 miles on it when we traded in on our '94 Suburban. The Suburban currently has about 240,000 on it and we'll probably take it to Monterey this week when we go visit our youngest son. Then there's my '83 Toyota 4x4 pickup that now has nearly 300,000 on it, and my wife's Chrysler 300M with about 135,000. None of these came anywhere near the problems of that Volvo, in fact all together they didn't have much more than the Volvo. When it comes to reliability, that car was the pits. Much later, when reading Consumer Reports reliability data, I discovered my experience was the norm, not the exception.

11. KS-OKIE

KS-OKIE TS Supporters TS Supporters

My wife drives a 2004 S60-T5 that we bought new.No repairs yet in 61,000 miles.My only 2 gripes is the rough ride from those wide low profile tires,and you need an acre to turn around in.She gets 25-27mpg.The turbo 5 cyl will really light up the tires...KS-OKIE.

12. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

I (6"3 and 350 lbs) once owned a Ford Festiva (OT I Know) I bought it slightly used for $3500 back in 92. I drove that car 250,000 and sold it to someone who drove it another 75,000. I added a new exhaust at 150,000 and brakes twice. Never touched the clutch nor the AC which always worked. Car was a gas sipper at 35-39 mpg. Lots of interior room but I looked like clown getting in and out of it. Got rear-ended by a jeep once. The jeep was thrashed. I just readjusted the bumper with a pry bar and all was good.

13. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

my 1987 chevy pickup with 305 engine is still going at 287,000 miles with just two water pumps as repair on the engine. Of course it is a rust bucket though.

14. 1oz

1oz Member

Personal experience 91 240 Dl was the old box style got 240,000 before selling starting getting a little wolfie and wife travels long distances in her car . 1998 XC70 all wheel drive transmission ,transfer case and drive shaft went out at 1 time, nice hefty bill I never want to see again . My wife loves her Volvo's they will nickle and dime you, well $100-$200 every so often . Not sure what her next 1 will be but i doubt Volvo with the way i hear they are after Ford took over . And she follows Volvo book on the up keep .

15. krieghoffkrusher

Thank you all for the feedback. While there are some positive experiences listed here most of them seem to be negative. I think I am going to focus my search on Nissan maxima or toyota camery. I would like to have something sporty and fun to drive but also reasonable on the wallet. Seems to be hard to find.

16. WGB

WGB Member

Bought a V70 GLT wagon new in 2001 for my wife. Constantly at the dealer for repair. Electronics, lights, brakes. Traded it in for a Mercedes after a year of weekends spent at the dealer. I have heard that Ford has increased Volvo's reliability standings over the last few years.

I don't think "fun to drive" and either a Toyota Camry or Nissan Maxima go together. Both are vanilla type vehicles that do a good job of transportation but leave out anything related to "fun" or "sport." Front wheel drive does not make for a sports car.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.