1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT... Prime Rib Revisited... PICS

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by capvan, Dec 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. capvan

capvan Active Member

Great pictures, thanks for posting.

Just to nitpick a little. What you cooked was a "standing rib roast". "Prime" in rib roast stands for the grade of meat. Prime, Choice and Utility are the cuts I'm familiar with. Prime is almost exclusively available in restaurants, choice is what you probably had.

In any case, I bet it was delicious! I have relatives who insist on everything being "well done". I won't cook for them...

Bruce

2. randy-s

randy-s Member

Makes my mouth water and my arteries clog. Happy Holidays Jack

3. Bocephas

Bocephas Well-Known Member

Looks GREAT,now who in the $ell cleans up the mess?

Bo

4. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

When was the last time that oven was cleaned, fire the cleaning lady for sure ... There is a setting for self clean on the newer ovens and they work great ... I do the same thing with a beef tenderloin and it never fails to impress and tingle the taste buds ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

5. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Is that digital thermoter hooked up all the time, with the wire hanging out of the oven door or does your range have an internal port for the wire ?

Lou

6. Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam Member

NICE !!!

7. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Lou, we just got one of those timers and did a standing rib roast yesterday with it. You just close the oven door on the wire, set the temperature you want the meat to reach and it beeps when the core of the meat reaches that temperature. They can be set for a cooking time or temperature. Ours is intended for use with a gas grille, but heat's heat.

We skipped all the preliminaries and just put the roast in the oven on a cradle-like tray. With the timer set at 135 degrees, it came out pink from end to end.

Damn, there aren't any leftovers. This thread is making me hungry.

Ed

8. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

Fixed the rib roast on the Weber Grill. Windchill was -20 but well worth it as I much prefer beef on the grill as opposed to in the oven.

9. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

Jack,

Wished I had ate @ your house! Very Nice!

Matt - Woodson Enterprises

10. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Mine says remove the racks also, so I always ask my wife if she is sure she removed the racks before turning it on self clean ... I have no idea why it smells like it does when cleaning but there has to be a reason ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

11. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

Jack, you never said you were a cook.....how about this one?

<a href="http://s43.photobucket.com/albums/e387/ric3677/?action=view&current=primerib.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Rick in Mt.

12. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

I did a loin on the grille outside, thank goodness it was warm yesterday, only by guessing as usual. Start hot for searing, sealing the outside and then turned down for the balance. Who makes the thermometer your showing there? It sounds like they may be handy. Prime rib sure looks good, and you're right Bill, now I'm hungry. LOL. Bob

13. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Just finnished eating. It was great. Cooked it Italian style, olive oil, salt, and pepper. Oven at 425 for 30 mins, then 375 until the meat temp was 140. HMB

14. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Jack: Forgot to mention that part of the costs to do the Perazzi is a taste of that!

Happy Holidays.

FYI: My dad was an executive with Armour & Co (he ran the West Coast Sales Division for them in the 50's).

What is now USDA "Prime," used to be, originally, USDA "GOOD". Since my father, meat has been downgraded X, "Prime to Choice," and then to "Good." It's damn tough to find true USDA Prime in the stores around here. Best place I've found is in Nebraska. Glad my dad made me attend a meat school.

Even back in the 50' and early 60's, as a kid when I'd accompany my dad to the plant is S. San Francisco, I'd sneak into a cooler and grab a couple of hot dogs and eat them. If my dad caught me, he's take them away from me and throw them in a trash can. THAT WAS 50 YEARS AGO. I doubt they've gotten any more nutritious.

Whiz

15. bobby ward

bobby ward Member

Jack and ric,

Dayem! You guys have my mouth watering so early in the morning. Both of those cuts are damn fine looking roasts! Job well done! Now then, how about a finishing side dish that will be the crowning jewel to your masterpiece?

Get about 5 packages of the sliced white button mushrooms or your favorite mushroom from the store. You can use shitakes, "baby bellas" or whatever you like.

Put a stick of butter in a large pan and add the mushrooms on top and saute until just slightly brown. Be careful NOT to wash the mushrooms prior to this as they soak up a lot of water. Wipe them only with a damp cloth to clean them prior to the cooking. After they have sauteed in the butter for about 5-10 minutes, add half a bottle or so of Taylor Port Wine. This is fairly cheap around here, perhaps $6 a bottle. Let the mushrooms simmer in the wine until it reduces almost gone. This process intensifies the flavor and your guests will be screaming for more. The mushrooms make an excellent side dish to prime rib or your favorite steak.

Best wishes..I am off to the butcher shop!

16. MAL-53

MAL-53 Member

Guys,that looks like too much work, (prepping, searing, baking) etc. I just get out our Farberware electric rotessire,(mother inlaw gave it us years ago. thanks Rose). Run the spit through the rib roast, (only did a 6# this year, small crowd),turn that sucker on, let the beast cook for about 5 min. then put your salt, pepper, garlic and other garnishes on, let that puppy rip for bout 3 hrs. till meat is done to your liking.
    You can cut the meat with a butter knife. makes me hungry again!!
    Happy new Year ML :)

17. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

Actually, mine was done on the EGG and it took no more work than putting it on and taking it off

Rickyd

18. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Talking about the Stock Yard Inn, now that was some good eatin for sure ... I would of bet there was no better beef in the world after eating there ... Damn, now I'm hungry just thinking about it ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

19. Roger Brenner

Roger Brenner Member

MIA: We prepared a 6 lb standing rib last evening. We did the browning/carmelization as you posted above-we never did this on previous roasts. We cooked it to 135-140 and it was great. The brazing added to the flavor. Thanks for posting, Roger

20. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Here is how I do it:

1. Rub the roast with mix of salt, pepper, garlic powder and parmesan cheese, then let it warm up to near room temperature.

2. Add some flour to the above mix and coat the roast all over, and let it rest while the oven heats up to 500°F (260°C).

3. Stick you thermometer into the roast and put it in the oven fat side up, after 20 minutes, turn the temperature down to 275°F (135°C) until it reaches 135°F (57°C) ... about 20 minutes per pound.

4. Let the roast 'rest' for 30 minutes to allow the juices to 'set'.

So goooooood that you will be licking each other's fingers!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.