1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT - positives or negatives of married life

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Bisi, Dec 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Trying to calculate the positives and negatives of married life, for an old guy like myself. I’m 53 years old and have been given an ultimatum. Something about it’s time to do this or get off the pot. Thought everything was okay then her Mother died over Thanksgiving and I didn’t show up to the funeral. That seemed to set her off, and it has finally come to this. Being married is okay in your 20s or 30s but at my age I'm trying to figure out whether it is worth it or not.

I’m an analytically, bottom line kind of guy, so I’m trying to weigh the positives/negatives and put it into the balance sheet and see what comes up.
    I’m going to try and keep this discussion to concrete and not abstract terms. Why because in abstract terms I like the woman, but I can argue that I like ice cream also. I just don’t like Rocky Road ice cream 24/7. Ice Cream 2 or 3 times a year is enough now, and I really don’t have to have it then.

Positives:

2 get to eat for the price of 1 at “Denny’s”, but is that really a positive if I’m, the one paying the 1?

Negatives:

Can’t drink as much as I want

Can’t smoke cigars anymore

She has family, and they visit

Have to watch diet

Will live longer if married

Constant yapping

Might not get to shoot as much as I would like

Might have to go shopping with her

She might want to start shooting

She has less than 500K in liquid assets

Hoping you married guys can add something to the positive side.

2. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

You are either a fool or need a bigger lure.

3. HWF

HWF TS Member

If you have to ask do her a faver and run

4. crusha

crusha TS Member

Bisi, women go f'ing nuts when their mothers die, so take that into account.

That said, you sound like Dr. Spock trying to analytically calculate whether you'd like Baroque music better than the Bluegrass you currently listen to.

If the analytical calculations need to be that explicit...you'd probably better stick with Bluegrass.

5. hairtrigger

hairtrigger TS Member

my wife ran off with my best friend, I REALY MISS HIM.

6. hollywood

hollywood TS Member

There are some moral obligations that one should adhere to when married.
    Attending the funeral of your wife's mother is probably one of them.
    Was there something of utmost importance that kept you from the funeral; such as an important hunt, football game(s) to watch?
    Inquiring minds need to know.

Hollywood

Tripod thanked this.
  7. ShawnaTX

ShawnaTX TS Member

Ugh. Match.com would ban you.

8. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

I once heard a saying that in marriage "kissing fades but cooking lasts." I sometimes quote that as I hug my wife while she's cooking.

And just remember this, "It's a sorry man who won't get up and get his wife off to work in the morning."

Danny

9. 6878mm

6878mm Member

Don`t do it

10. ec90t

ec90t Guest

BROWNST100,

I find doing my laundry isn't such a bad thing.

ec90t

11. Desert Breeze

Desert Breeze TS Member

Admit it…………….You just want a K-80

12. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

It looks like you should spare her the misery......

There is nothing better than a good marriage................but.........on the other hand, there is nothing worse than a bad marriage.....

Hauxfan!

13. Dick The Shooter

Dick The Shooter Member

Get a dog instead

Dick The Shooter

14. shadow

shadow Active Member

Bisi ole boy. Ya better think this one over for a LONG time before you jump in. For one thing you will NEVER be allowed to forget your absence from that funeral, and it will only get worse with timIf there is ANY doubt in your mind at all----forget it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let me tell you one thing for certain. At your age, you are are RARE commidity(sp). The world is full of lonely/divorced ladies. You can take your pick !!!

15. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

On the morning of the couples 30th wedding anniversary the wife says to the husband,lets go have dinner tonight and relive that first night! OK says the husband, but this time I get to sit on the side of the bed , cry and say its to big. Merry Christmas , Jeff

16. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

FISH (plural) ON!

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

17. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Having been married for 23 years and divorced for 20 years, the last 20 have been more fun. It's been like looking for a new shotgun. You get to try out many different models without buying. YMMV.

Eric

18. Old Texas Marine

Old Texas Marine Member

In a relationship, one party can never be happier than the least happy person in the relationship. I love 'em, but they really bring me down. I don' have enough time left to have a bad time. I want to enjoy life not examine it.

Thirty-three years, but I don't have the energy to do the maintenance anymore.

The kids and grandkids are wonderful, though.

Old Texas Marine

19. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I dated the girl I am married to now for 15 years to the day before I (we) decided to get married, when she asked for what turns out to be the last time ... I did it to provide her with some security in case something would happen to me being as I am a cardiac patient and my kids would of had her out of the house before I was cold if I didn't ... We get along well and I do not have to ask if I want to do anything, buy anything, or just happen to see something I have to have and bring it home with me ... I just tell her and she is usually okay with it, if not she will get over it or live with it because that's the way it is ... I was single for a long time and its hard to forget the freedom that comes with being single but you adjust willingly or not at all if thats what you want ... We have been married for 7 years after dating for 15 so by now I'm used to having someone else around and I do honestly love her but I loved her before I married her too ... I think being married was invented by a woman because most guys don't really see or feel the need for it, but it makes some woman happy at least for a little while ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

20. crusha

crusha TS Member

Wow...so far the "ladies" have kept a muzzle on their contempt...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.