1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT Pool Tables

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by bl0407, Dec 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bl0407

bl0407 Member

Looking for some comments on the below pool tables.

Olhausen
    Brunswick

I'm looking to purchase a pool table and want to get some information, likes, dislikes etc. Also if there are any other brands I should look at.

thanks

2. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Buy a used one. The value drops in the dirt on used tables. People become tired of them fast. Because they take up to much room. From experiance.

3. Robb

Robb Member

Mine is a Kasson and we like it. They were pretty well made 10 years ago. Not real high end but a very good table for the money.

4. Robb

Robb Member

Used IS a good idea. Get a pro to set it up though. Ours isn't used near as much as it was the first couple of years.

5. Wentez

Wentez Member

I have an Olhausen - standard size (4 1/2 x 9). Slate is 1", frame is very solid. I like mine as well as any table I have every played on. Mine is 16 years old - had it recovered once - rails are still good. If you are considering a used one have a pro check the rails - I have heard rail replacement adds somewhat to the cost - recovering the table and rails is reasonable. There is only one color for a pool table.

George

Geo

6. Andy Ott

Andy Ott Guest

B1047,I have a Brunswick crown 4,4.5x9,I have tried two Diamond tables and a Connely and didn't like them.The connely was not good quality and the Diamonds were to hard to adjust,and the pockets weren't cut right,the Brunswick Crown 4 is very easy to keep level and the over all quality is the best.I play alot of straight pool and one pocket and I have it covered with Samonis 860,this was a mistake,great for 9 ball but the next time I get it covered I'm going with 760.

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

When you buy one have it moved and set up by a pro. If there is a pool hall near by check with them and see who they use. HMB

8. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

Take it from an old pool hall rat....Brunswick.

9. David McMillen

David McMillen Banned User Banned

I have an Olhausen 4 1/2x9 and love it, but I think the AE Schmidt is the probably the best of all pool tables.

10. little gambler

little gambler Active Member

bl0407,

Pool is like trap…….everyone has different opinions on what works and how or what they would do differently. I have had a provincial Olhausen for 11 years now. It’s a 4.5’ x 9’ no complaints, I have had two sets of 860 Simonis on it and since it is in my basement the table plays just a tad slow due to the room being a little on the cold side. I have gone to “basalt cloth” which is normally used on a three cushion table and it seems to help with bringing the table up to speed. The Olhausen plays good, rails stay tight on the slate, and pockets have worn nicely. If your looking at used Olhausen tables, make sure the rails have the new style “accufast” rubber on it. I personally like the looks of an Olhausen table over new style Brunswick tables, however the best looking table I think is the Brunswick Centennial pool table if you can find one, they usually run between 4500-7000 depending on how much they have been used or beat up……………. Just my opinion however.

There is a trap shooter on this forum, who has the handle of “cueguy” he makes a pretty good stick to hit around some balls…………some of the best inlay work in the business………I often wondered if that guy would inlay some floating ivory points with silver rings in my Perazzi stock and forearm…. ?

Also if you’re in the market for a high end cue I have a nice Coker ivory joint, ivory ferrules, ivory butt 8 prong up 8 prong down for sale, 2 shafts, silver rings at A, B, C, D, and E cocobolo points very nice........ :) l.g.

11. Richard Marshall JR.

Richard Marshall JR. Member

little gambler,

Do you have any pics of the coker cue? and whats the price?

Richard Marshall Jr.

12. little gambler

Richard,

I can get you some pic's tomorrow. Forearm date is 9-99. I'd have to get around 1900.00 for it joint protectors are nothing special, and case is a 2 butt 4 shaft hard case. I have not seen but one or two other Cokers that looked as good as this one does. l.g.

13. cueguy2

cueguy2 TS Member

Hey Rick, You still using the cue I sent you a few years ago? Someday we will get around to hitting some balls around. Little Gambler, I stopped making cues around 3 years ago. There are still several floating around on ebay from time to time. Had some on Chalkers.com too.

For the table guy. I have set up hundreds of tables over 20+ years. About every brand known to man. The best table I have ever set up or played on is a Lehmacher ( made in Germany ). Not too many over here, kind of expensive ( around $7,000.00 ) But there are several other very nice tables. All the ones mentioned here will work just fine. For the money though, Kasson is very nice. Easy to set up and plays great. Be sure to get a pro to set up though. Only 860 Simonis and either Centennial or Super Pro balls. If you could find a set of Raschig balls, that would be the best. Have not seen any of those since about 1990 though. Also, my favorite size of table is the "Pro 8", or the 46" x 92". Very hard to find now. I had also done conversions on 10 ft. snooker tables to regular pocket tables. Very nice if done right.
    When I was selling tables out of my store, either the little woman picked out "furniture" or the man picked out a pool table.
    If buying used, be sure to figure all the costs involved. You may wind up paying almost new by the time you are done.
    Good luck, Nubs Wagner.

14. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

I have a Brunswick Blake Collender for sale, completely restored. It was first used in a saloon in Kirkland, Washington Territory in the 1880's. I'm not sure of current value but the person who renewed all the rubber and felt told me the last one he had seen like it belonged to Hollywood film producer Blake Edwards. Edward's had paid $25,000 for his.

15. little gambler

Nubs,

Sorry to hear that there will be no more new Nova's floating around. I sold that cue to one of my friends that was here in the states visiting from Japan. Last time I heard from him about 4 years ago he had piled up a collection of Joss West cues, a few Southwest's and was heading back to Japan with all of them.

Richard: Pic's are on the way. l.g.

16. docrtaylor

docrtaylor TS Member

Cueguy,

I have a oversized 8' Gandy that i have set up on my porch. Right now it isa 3 season room so it does not get much attention during the winter months. What type of cloth would you suggest for that situation (South EASt PA). Local store has me leaning toward the centenial cloth because it is "teflon" coated. Is that a good way to go??? How about that Basalt cloth that was mentioned earlier? would that help to offset the weather conditions outside? This was a freebie so didnt have the room available when we got it.

Thank you

Ralph

17. cueguy2

cueguy2 TS Member

Ralph, If you have a Gandy Pro 8, you have a very nice table. I have not seen one of those in many years. Those tables were usually made for pool rooms, so they were really solidly constructed. I have not kept up with all the new cloths that have come out in the last couple of years, but fact is that everyone wants to be the next Simonis. It is still the best cloth money can buy. I do know that Simonis has come out with 860 in blue which is quite nice.

Sun will be the death of any cloth you put on. Sun light will fade anything, so you need to avoid direct sunlight. Even indirect sun light will fade it. You can keep a good quality, heavy table cover on it for some protection. 860 Simonis and some top quality balls ( do get the Centennials or the Aramith, you won't regret it ) and you will really like playing on it.

When it is time to recover it, really do get someone who is experienced with Simonis. If it is stretched incorrectly, you will not be happy. The cloth has a "weave" and the balls will follow the weave when they start to slow down ( they roll off line ). The average player would not notice or care, but top players notice. Also, make sure the 3 pc. slates are perfectly level with one another. Have your installer use beeswax to fill the seams. It will move with the table and not crack like bondo. Your table will "move". Wood accepts and rejects moisture and moves accordingly.

Another point, when wrapping the rails, it is very easy to over pull the cloth when pulling around the cushions. If you do that, the rails will be kind of dead in those spots. You can tell if this happened by looking down the rail cushion. If it looks bumpy, it is not stretched correctly.
    Sorry to go on for so long, enjoy the table. Nubs Wagner.

18. cueguy2

cueguy2 TS Member

Little Gambler, I did hate to give it up, but a lot of circumstances forced the issue. Pool certainly attracts the lower life crowd and I seemed to find more than my share. Also, the shoulders gave out, could not hand rub those finishes anymore. Lots of nerve damage from all the years of rubbing those finishes out.
    It has curtailed my shooting somewhat, but I still get out and shoot when the body allows it. Nubs Wagner.

19. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

I learned to play on a snooker table but they were hard to find. 6 ball wild anybody??

Since I played mostly in bars I ended up with an eight foot Vally coin operated which I converted to free play.

When I quit playing I sold my Joss West and Richard Black and kept one Sneaky Pete. When practicing at the bars I got the thinest tip and sorriest shaft so that when I played someone, no matter which stick I got, it was better than what I had practiced with. Only problem I had was when I got my Joss West out it would draw so well I would over draw. It was the best english transfer stick I have ever shot with. Those were the fun days. Ray.....

20. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I've got an Olhausen Pro 8, which I have had for 20 years. The Pro 8 was the largest I could fit into the section dedicated for my basement billard area (width issue). The outfit I used rep'd both Brunswick & Olhausen and the Olhausen 20 years ago was a heckuva deal. I bought a medium oak finish with round turned legs and pockets with shields, no fringe for an antique look.

Solid table, recovered once due to spilled Champagne - excellent value.

Brand depends on what you want. You could consider an antique table - check ebay, many are out there - setup a few hundred regardless of age.

I prefer hand carved cues by Sampaio and have a half-dozen antique TruBalance cues as my house cues - Centennial Balls are tops - accessorize to make your place special.

Jay

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.