1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT: Polyeurethane, Polycrylic, Tung Oil or what?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Porcupine, Oct 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

I bought a very old wooden tool chest (made by Union Steel Chest Co.) at a yard sale, and I've begun to refinish it. I need some advice about finishes. Should I use polyeurethane, water-based polycrylic, tung oil, or something else? Thanks for any help.

LA

2. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Personally I would go for polyeurethane. I refinished a 2" thick maple butcher block table with high gloss polyeurethane brush on. Easy on, fast drying and looks great.

Eric

3. Andy Moreland

Andy Moreland TS Member

If you don't intend to actually bang the chest around a job site, the Bartley company makes a product called a gel varnish (to go with their gel stains) that provides the protection of a modern furniture finish but the ease of application and the look and feel of the rubbed oil finish that may have been originally been used on items like that. The finish can be built up as desirec and gives the soft satin sheen of oil, not the harsh gloss and plastic look of a high-build finish like urethane or acrylic. Available down to half-pint sizes.

Andy Moreland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.