1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT Police Protection

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Irfner, Mar 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Irfner

Irfner TS Member

If you think the police have a duty to protect you read this.
    http://publicrights.org/Kennesaw/PoliceResponsibility.html

2. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Law Enforcement absolutely do NOT have a responsibility to protect ANY individual, unless on a specific security detail.

They are to protect the PUBLIC WELFARE and SAFETY.

3. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

That is why they took "To Protect and Serve" off the cop cars in our town a few years back. Actually they got sued by a citizen that did not get protected very good.

Jim

4. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

That is a rather strong case to carry your own protection.

5. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

6. AJ100

AJ100 TS Member

You can call 911 sir, and the police will show up. They will draw the chalk outline of where your body was found.

I might be killed with my own gun someday. But they will have to beat me to death with it because it will be empty.

Of course they might find me dead in a ditch on the side of the road some night. But my body will be covered in brass.

AJ100

7. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    The United States Supreme Court ruled that the police are under no obligation to protect any individual citizen. Only the general welfare of all citizens as a whole.<br>
    <br>
    Whether they intended it or not, this is a very strong argument in favor of individual firearms ownership. I wonder if the Keller case has factored this in?

8. mike moncilovich

mike moncilovich TS Member

The old saying is; police are apprehenders, not protectors...Mike

9. ArmyMechanic

ArmyMechanic Member

This will piss alot of people off but who cares... Most cops that I have meet over the years.. are some of the worst offenders of "domestic violence"!! I have a very good friend that it took years to get her away from her husband, cause he was a cop, he would stalk her, he would harrass her, the would beat her, and this woman couldnt even call the cops cause they were too busy defending and protecting thier "brother".

Personally I have no respect for policemen, most are a bunch of punks, who without their badges and guns would be nothing more than the loudmouth drunk at the end of the bar that everyone wishes would go away.

To serve and protect. hmmmm maybe if its in their general interest. but for the safety of the general public... forget it....

10. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

And I thought you liked and respected me Sir Mechanic. Gotta go beat my wife of 45 years.....Bob Dodd

11. ouch

ouch Member

If I said you painted with a wide brush Mr. Army Mechanic wouldn't really cover it.

I became a Police officer in 1981, Have worked for 5 police chiefs, 7 mayors, I've lost count of the Council members. In these years I have seen a wide variety of people, But could never make a statement like that.

It would be like me saying military people can only kill, And I would never think such a thing, Never mind type it out on the net. Richard

12. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I have been a harsh critic of bad cops. To the point where I've been accused of being a cop basher. This isn't true, because I'm also a supporter of good cops. Unfortunately, you rarely read any good stories about the police, only the bad, and that's what gets reported on.<br>
    <br>
    Most cops are decent, hard working and care about their jobs and doing a proper job in a professional, courteous manner.<br>
    <br>
    The problem is that the bad cops are often protected by a "code of silence", until they screw up so badly that they can no longer be ignored.<br>
    <br>
    Another problem is that some agencies aid and abet incompetence. Particularly with bad intel resulting in botched raids that have sometimes gotten innocent people killed. Yet the officers involved are never charged with manslaughter. Why? And why can an officer shoot his gun and hit an innocent bystander with a stray bullet and get a pass, when a citizen doing the same thing gets crucified? Are the police above the law?<br>
    <br>
    Army mechanic is painting the police with far too wide a brush. However, that there are legitimate citizen complaints about the police should be enough for the police to clean up their act. Some agencies do this. Others are too close to the problem. The old saying where there's smoke there's fire should be the litmus test. Citizen complaints should not be ignored and the police should hold themselves to higher standards. Especially when mistakes can be fatal.

13. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Yeah Brian, just like because we read about poachers, there's needs to be a real overhaul of hunting laws, aggressive clampdown on the issuance of licenses, and gun control. Not a whit of difference, eh?.....Bob Dodd

14. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I have many friends and have known some very great individual LEO's,

I have also seen a number of cowboys who think their badge is a hunting license.

And yes, they have shot unarmed individuals and killed them.

And I have no answer for the problem. More good ones than bad around here, thank goodness.

HM

15. mallardfilmore

mallardfilmore TS Member

Want to know where most of the "bad" cops come from? Gutless administrators who are either to stupid or too afraid to use the hiring/firing process as it was designed.
    The hiring process brings them all in. The background investigators are to use their training to weed out the less desirable. When they present the list of no-go's to the bosses, they look for every excuse not to cut because they need warm bodies so they pass a large percentage of the ones that shouldn't even have applied thinking that maybe trainig will weed them out. Training tells them the goofs are not worth the time but by now they have invested dollars in the dorks so we'll keep them and see if evals will cure the problem.
    They hit the working body where supervisors who don't because they're off doing some other dept. project and when they come to giving evals, they haven't watched them work in the last 6 months and they haven't been arrested while off duty so they must be doing ok. Too afraid to give a bad eval because someone might think they can't supervise. Good evals for everyone and the pressure is off the supervisor. Once off probation, the problem goof figures out they are in like flint and the dept. won't do anything to get rid of them till they've made front page news.
    It's really that simple.

16. Irfner

Irfner TS Member

I didn't start this post to bash cops. I think most LEOs would probably do all they could to help if they were there. However people just need to realize calling 911 is probably not going to save them (medical excepted). The supreme court has ruled police are not required to respond and if they do they have no responsibility to protect you. It is up to you to protect yourself and your family. No one else on this planet has that responsibility. You cannot delegate it or pass it off. It is yours and yours alone whenever and where ever protection becomes needed. So if you find yourself starting to agree with anti carry laws or gun control advocates, even a little, remember this thread.

17. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

The negative statements about Police are really shocking- some people have been brainwashed for sure---

Sure there are some high profile cases out there that have happened in the past but how many police have severed over the last 30 years? A million?

regards from Iowa

Gene

18. The Shadow

The Shadow TS Member

Wow, I spent 27 months in Southeast Asia. Got sent home on third tour due to getting shot down 3 times ( sorta like 3 strikes & you're out) Spent 26 years with the same PD. Delivered a baby, guarded the President numerous times, spent time locked in a prison during two prison riots, cried with families when I had to deliver death messages, & now I find out that I'm a low life
    bum.

19. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I'm with ya, Sir Ghost. I've got a lot of sitting in bars, beating the bride, protecting bad apples (not brothers) and other misdeeds to catch up on; I'm sure just like you. I got to do Berkeley through the 60s while you were gettin' shot down I expect...Bob Dodd

20. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

I spent a carrer with the Delaware State Police and I was going to say some things to the ArmyMechanic that would disparage his ancestry, however, I won't as he already has lost all respect from the ladies and gentlemen on this site.

Curt - Delaware

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.