1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT: Police Chief Shoots Himself in Foot

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by starshot2b, May 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

There just are no words for this. :)

2. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Sounds like the "Chief" needs a lesson in gun safety.......lol

Hauxfan!

3. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

I agree, it's not funny (hence my comment when posting). However, I find it an extreme lack of brains and safety to try and unjam (demonstration or not) a "loaded" gun in a conference room...don't you? What happened to pointing downrange when there's a problem, again demonstration or not?

The irony that it's the Police Chief who did this and received a self-inflicted injury to boot (no matter how it occurred), doesn't escape excuses either. Very poor example to those he was training.

JMHO.

4. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

5. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

It's still fashionable to laugh at morons. Being a policeman is no shield from ridicule.

6. Gold E

Gold E TS Member

I’ve witnessed LEOs that were expert in gun handling and those who are truely Fifes. Neither is very funny.

OTOH; This thread will get pretty funny just before it gets pulled.

7. Hauxfan

Can someone answer me this.............What in heck was he doing teaching a class with live ammo.........That is a no-no if ever there was one.

I can empathize with the chief, but I can still also laugh at his stupidity for failing to utilize a dummy round while teaching a class.

Hey Chief, Here's your sign.

[​IMG]

Hauxfan!

8. mahrbeezer

mahrbeezer TS Member

I worked as a part time regular for a local shore town for 4 1/2 years. I worked with and seen many LEO's that knew very little about firearms. Most of them never fired a gun before the academy. It is always though that cops are firearms experts because they carry a gun. Lots of them are very articulate with weapons but most dont even know much about the weapon they carry. Its not because they are complete morons, they have no interest in guns. Some of the guys that could care less about a gun are unbelievable shots. I seen an officer shoot himself in the leg while holstering his weapon. We laughed our asses off before he even made it to the car. Play with guns long enough and you will make a mistake. I knew a certain officer who was a little banged up one night and stopped in to the department to see the dispatcher. He decided he was going to show his brand new off duty gun to the dispatcher and fired off two rounds into the ceiling of the radio room. He paid dearly for that F__k up in every way!!! We laughed for months!!!!

9. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Darwin will not give a pass to a boob just because he is a police chief.

Even if he was only a boob for 2 seconds, that's all the time it takes to accidentally kill someone.

I recall a shipboard incident where a .45 auto had a round in the chamber, and the person who took the clip out didn't realize the gun was still hot.

Another swabbie died that day.

Police Acadamy needs an update.

HM

10. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

There is no excuse for this behavior. A loaded weapon should not under any circumstance be handled in a classroom this type of demonstration belongs on the handgun range, Period

Seems to me the Chief takes the dangers of a loaded weapon way to much for granted.

Bob Lawless

11. ccw1911

ccw1911 Member

Many people don't realize that firearms training is not at the top of the training list for many police organizations, not even close for most. Non LEO gun enthusiasts can't understand because movies and tv make it seem like cops are in gunfights every other day. Many LEO's are more concernced with avoiding getting sued just for doing their job and staying out of trouble with their superiors, on top of the fact many don't get paid enough to have the money for and ammo and extra training. Not making excuses just posting my experiences on both sides of this as an ex full time LEO and a firearms trainer.

There is no excuse for anyone to ever have live ammo inside a classroom but I've seen it happen too often, once in a courtroom being used for classes, luckily no one was in the floor above and no injuries. Most everyone has seen the video of the DEA agent demostrating his prowess with the Glock 40 cal, btw he seems to be suing the DEA and everyone else involved for ruining his reputation by releasing the tape. LOL Also I know a small town Chief who was showing his men how safe the new issue Glock pistols were in his office, bang, but again luck was on his side and no one was hurt. Ironically he was the same guy who forbade his men to fire unless they were closer than 10 yds from the bad guy, he said his men couldn't hit anything further than that!!!

There are some very competent LEO's out there who do everything they can to maintain weapons proficiency and try to improve the standards for LE. Too bad these guys don't don't make the headlines very often. They are fighting a beaurocracy, police administration is a political job just like the rest of government.

12. The Shadow

The Shadow TS Member

I know this will bring this forum to a boil. I'm just about fed up with every Tom, Dick, & traphooter scouring the news agencies, looking for a LEO story to laugh at. I didn't see one related "Look at this" when the Philly cop was killed a few days ago. Browning4me made a great recovery when queried about this being funny. There is a group of you guys that are just like little kids in school. "Let's make fun of someone! TEE HEE HEE." Someone is shot & you guys laugh about it & ridicule. I never saw anyone jump on the soap box & bring attention to the trapshooter who let a round fly into the sidewalk at Elysburg a few years ago. It even hit an ATA exective!! Several 1000 people were there, but not a peep. Go to "The Officer Down Memorial Page" shown above. Just last year alone, there were 187 police officers killed on duty, killed doing their job, & I never saw even an inkling of a post. Being that LEOs are thought of in such a lowly way, I suggest that any LEO and LEO supporters that frequent this site, boycott the site & any/all the sponsors of the site.

13. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

Ghost Rider, I did not 'scour' the news for this - it was on the front page of the "latest news" on Fox News Internet, which I read daily amongst other internet news outlets. It still is as a matter of fact (under Latest News, right hand column, 3rd story down). I posted it because we are always touting gun safety and we dish it out when it's a target shooter or someone close who doesn't follow the appropriate safety precautions. Why should a careless LEO be different?

As I stated when I first posted - "there are no words for this." "This" being the idiocy of having a loaded firearm in a room of people -- for training purposes no less. A lack of brains by a LEO shouldn't be swept under the rug because he/she is a LEO -- they should know better, as should we.

14. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

Hoosier, one last time...There is nothing funny about this and I'm not laughing (nor did I). I was actually incredulous when I first read it. If you had read my second post, I said "demonstration or not."

He was in a conference room during a training session. He was "inside" with a jammed handgun. IMO, e broke the first rule of safety just by being in a room of people with a gun that had a problem. He's extremely lucky that he shot himself, it certainly could've been much worse. I still say this was a poor example for those he was training anhd I shudder to think just how many people in that room now feel it is perfectly fine to try and unjam a loaded gun in a room full of people.

Would you try and unjam your firearm in your living room with your family sitting there or would you take it somewhere, where you could "safely" try and unjam it?

As stated before, JMHO.

15. Juno

Juno TS Member

— The police chief in Riverdale accidentally shot himself in an ankle while demonstrating how to dislodge a jammed handgun.

Chief Dave Hansen was taken to McKay-Dee Hospital in Ogden for surgery.

The 54-year-old chief accidentally fired a gun during a training exercise inside a conference room at Riverdale police headquarters.

A fire captain and Riverdale Mayor Bruce Burrows confirmed the chief shot himself Saturday in an ankle bone. They said he was trying to fix a gun with a jammed round when the bullet fired.

Excuse me, but doesn't this say the chief was demonstrating how to dislodge a live bullet which it's pretty safe to assume he placed in the gun? No? Or did he go into the conference room with the bullet already jammed in order to show how to dislodge it? One of these scenerio's is correct. Personally IMO there should be disciplinary action for placing the public safety at risk. Ya, you're right, this is definately NOT FUNNY.

16. M-16

M-16 TS Member

1st ever gun is loaded until you check it out not to be, and never point a loaded gun were you don't want a bullet to go. It was a stupid stunt weather you think it was funny or not, and the tax payers will pay for it.

17. jbbor

jbbor Active Member

On this forum, as with many, there are anti-LEO posters and that is extremely sad. That said, to say that only stupid acts by LEO's is all that is posted is just not a fact. There have been many stupid actions by just plain trapshooters noted and rediculed here. As Forrest Gump said, stupid is as stupid does! Jimmy Borum

18. Hauxfan

I guess I don't understand why anyone thinks a person doesn't have respect for LEO's just because he/she laughs at the stupidity of one LEO in particular.

Is there a thin blue line?

If I did something that bone headed, I would expect to take crap over it. Why shouldn't this particular person expect the same thing?

Hauxfan!

19. Ljutic Guy

Ljutic Guy Member

Here is the 6 May 08 newspaper artical that provides additional infomation.

Residents challenge chief on shooting

Claim Hansen was pointing gun at class before it fired

By CHARLIE POMERLEAU
    Standard-Examiner staff cpomerleau@standard.net

RIVERDALE — Witnesses to Police Chief Dave Hansen’s self-inflicted gunshot wound accuse officials of trying to cover up for the chief through the official version of events released to the news media.
    Two West Haven residents attending the concealed weapons permit class Hansen taught Saturday told the Standard-Examiner on Monday that Hansen was extremely careless while handling the loaded Glock 40 pistol before the shooting.
    They said police responding to the incident ignored the dozen people at the class until hours l a t e r, n o t even asking if anyone else had been hit by a bullet or shrapnel.
    “It’s all a bunch of lies, and they’re trying to cover up what really happened,” said Lewis Walker, who attended the class with his wife and friends.
    “The chief’s brother (state Rep. Neil Hansen, R-Ogden) was just on TV saying the chief was showing us how to clear a weapon when the gun went off, but that’s bull.
    “The chief said he was going to show us the rifling in the barrel of the gun, and he was pointing it around at all of us in the class. He was trying to disassemble the gun under the table when it went off.
    “Nobody thought anything about the gun being loaded. We were told the gun is the chief’s personal sidearm, but it looked to me like he didn’t know anything about the gun.
    “When the gun went off, we thought it must have been a blank he was using to impress us, but then he hollered, ‘I’m hit,’ and he fell over and told us to call 911.”
    Walker said Hansen then placed the smoking gun on the table in front of him with several other guns. Walker, fearing having a loaded gun unattended, said he put the weapon in the hallway outside the room while confusion reigned in the library, where the class was being taught.
    Walker’s neighbor, Bart Ulm, said he was in the restroom when the gun discharged, but Hansen’s actions before then had made him very nervous, including when Hansen said the Glock sidearms are used by police and military personnel because they don’t have a safety mechanism to keep the gun from being fired accidentally.
    “He said he was going to show us the rifling in the barrel, but then he pulled out a full magazine and a round from the chamber,” Ulm said. “Right then, I was very leery, because there’s no need to have live ammo in a gun in the class, but I figured he’s the chief, so he must know what he’s doing.
    “I never saw him put the clip or the bullet back in the gun, but there was a gentleman in front of me blocking my view, so that’s when it could have happened.
    “I went to the bathroom, and that’s when I heard the gunshot and people screaming, ‘Officer down, officer down.’ I went back to the room and called 911. There had been a dozen people in the room when I went to the bathroom, but some of them were already gone by the time I got back. Nobody told anyone they had to stay. Nobody asked if anyone else was hurt.
    “In fact, when police officers came to the room, they told me to leave. The EMTs wouldn’t come into the room until the police officers got there,” Ulm said. “I told one of the first officers who responded that the gun had been placed in the hallway and he should secure it, but he looked at me like who was I to tell him how to do his job?
    “In fact, the officer was joking with the chief, telling him, instead of shooting himself, he should have used the Taser.”
    Walker said he and other witnesses left the police station shortly after the 10:30 a.m. shooting without having been interviewed by police.
    He said he was contacted around 5 p.m. by Sgt. Kevin Fuller. When Walker asked Fuller about the time lapse between the incident and the interview, Fuller responded, “That’s the way we deal with it,” Walker said.
    “I think Riverdale police are just trying to keep this quiet and act like the chief is a hero, but if you ask me, he’s really stupid,” Walker said. “His state certification to teach concealed weapons classes should be taken away from him. This was totally gross negligence.”
    Police Sgt. Karen McIntosh said all officers were instructed Monday morning to refer questions to City Attorney Steve Brooks.
    Monday evening, Mayor Bruce Barrows chastised the Standard-Examiner for what he said was a reporter’s “unprofessional behavior” on Saturday when police would not release information after the shooting.
    When informed that the official version of events on Saturday was being challenged by eyewitnesses, Burrows said Hansen deserved the privacy guaranteed by a federal law and that no further comment would be made until the department’s internal investigation was completed.
    Police Lt. James Ebert said earlier Monday that Hansen, 54, was recovering from the shooting and had been released from the hospital. He did not know when the chief would return to duty.
    Hansen has been with the department since 1985, according to the department’s Web site, www.riverdalecity.com.
    “One of the first things the chief told us in the class was that you treat every weapon as though it’s loaded,” Ulm said. “When he was waving that pistol around, we didn’t know it was loaded, but he could have hit someone in that class.
    “I don’t care how long someone has been a cop, or how long they’ve been handling weapons. As a weapon handler, you need to use caution.”

20. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

It seem to me that to many people here are more concerned with treatment of the LEO in question than they are the safety issue.

A firing range is the proper place for these type of classes when loaded weapons are involved. Teaching this type of a class in a classroom, conference room, or Library with a loaded weapon is totally unsafe and the chief showed very poor judgment at best and boarders on lunacy.

If it was anyone other than a LEO they would more than likely face some type of firearms violation.

Bob Lawless

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.