1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT: Pointing Labs for Grouse & Woodcock

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by map@neo, Aug 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. map@neo

map@neo Member

I have been "soul searching" for a new hunting dog. Molly, my Britt. had to be
    put down this past spring after 12 years of wonderful companionship. Thinking about a new line. Any trapshooters own a Pointing Lab that could give insight to the breed. Here in New England, grouse and woodcock are the upland gunner's choice. A good, close working pointing dog is an absolute necessity. I've been told they work well on pheasants, but have they been used for "nervous and unpredictable" grouse. Any opinions, pro or con would greatly be appreciated.
    Thanks.
    Mike

2. Doug Brown

Doug Brown Well-Known Member

I've struggled with this myself & will probably buy a lab, when my wirehair goes, only because I'm hunting more waterfowl than quail these days. I will take a lot of crap for this, but this is my opinion. A pointing lab does not exist- it pauses before it pounces.

3. LABS4U0

LABS4U0 TS Member

Some labs (Kellogg) will point and can make a fair upland hunting dog. Labs just don't have the stamina to make a really good upland bird dog. Britts, Springers and Short Hairs have the stamina to make a really good upland bird dog. Most serious upland bird hunters have several Pointers because the will get tired eventually, just not as soon as a lab. Darren

4. three-reloaders

three-reloaders TS Member

I have a pointing Braque Du Bourbonnais. We hunt northern Maine for five weeks every year for Ruffed Grouse. They won't hold for any pointing dog. They must think that any dog is a coy-dog. They just get off the ground and get into the tree and watch the dog work under them. Dog will stand on tree that the bird is in. Very funny to see it. Woodcock no problem with point. Jerry

5. marotta

marotta Member

Hungarian Viszla

6. map@neo

map@neo Member

Thankyou to everyone for your opinions. Unfortuneately, I'm in a quandary.
    My heart is saying Britt(again) and my head is saying Lab. We do hunt alot
    of late season grouse (until Dec. 31) and also "flight" ducks on Lake Champlain.
    "Two birds with one stone", no pun intended! I don't know, I don't know, I just don't know. Thanks again and good, safe hunting this fall.
    Mike

7. GEORGE oldboy

GEORGE oldboy TS Member

labs have won ruffed grouse soceitys national hunt more than once in 26 years and there are some damned good pointers and setters in that competetion (english.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

grouse labs

lab for grouse

lab for woodcock hunting

labs for grouse

pointing labs for grouse