1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT Plasma or LCD

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by cubancigar2000, Mar 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Looking at a Vizio 50 inch Plasma for $1199. Anybody out there have any advise otherwise. Should I buy a different brand and should I buy LCD instead?

2. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

If you have ANY sunlight entering the room you will not be happy with plasma. Plasma will burn out at some point and cannot be repaired.

Take a look at a Sony Bravia LCD. A bit more money but a better overall value.

Jim Skeel

3. famill00

famill00 TS Member

Samsung or Sony. Both of these two make their own screen components. You should spend the extra money and get a brand that starts with an "S". I have a 42" Samsung plasma. When looking at these big screens look at the contrast ratio. If you notice the Samsung is most likely a higher ratio than the vizio. My plasma is a 15000:1 contrast ratio. That is nearly unheard of in the LCD world unless you are shelling out wayyyyyyy more money. The stuff about burn in with plasmas is BS. It did happen in the past but is now highly unlikely. I looked at both the plasma and the LCD and decided that the picture was much more crisp and refreshed faster with the plasma. I hope that this helps.

Forrest

4. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

Sony has stopped making plasma TVs for whatever reason.

5. cubancigar2000

I have to agree that every time I go to a store to look at TV's, the Samsung ( and the Phillips) seem to stand out as better pictures.

6. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

do your shopping at stores, then price online......try Amazon, great customer service, and usually the cheapest too- fc

7. fritzi93

fritzi93 TS Member

The following is by no means exhaustive, but are probably the most important factors to consider.

Plasma:
    Pros: Accurate black level, less blurring in high motion scenes.
    Cons: Energy consumption, lower brightness.

LCD:
    Pros: Greater brightness (your viewing room doesn't need to be so dark), less energy consumption.
    Cons: Fast motion blurring as compared to plasma, but it's relative. In most cases, it takes a practiced eye to detect the difference. LCD displays do not have true black, just very dark gray.

LCDs have been greatly improved the last few years, and prices are falling. I'd expect further improvements for a while and even lower prices.

8. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I just purchased a VISIO LCD TV and it said picture screen life was about 22 years, the PLASMA is a lot shorter, aslo don't buy one with the DVD player, when it goes bad usually the TV is down till it is fixed.

I do not have cable, but an outside antenna, I gained 8 more stations, I live near Lancaster Ohio and I get 4 channel 34 stations, 3 channel 4 stations, 2 channel 10 ststions, plus numerous others, because of HD.

The pictures are awsome

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

9. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Actually, I read just recently that Sony was now buying thier LCD displays from Samsung. I have a Panasonic Vierra LCD and love it....had a cheaper "house brand" unit but the Vierra is far superior.

10. GordonWood421

GordonWood421 TS Member

I bought a 50" VISIO for less than $1,000 from Circuit City in a "package deal" with a satellite provider . The installer stood-me-up twice and I cancelled the installation . So far , I haven't been "approached" about the discount I received with the sign-up ; also came interest free for 12 months .

That was 4 months ago - - - ya' reckon I'm "home-free" ? I might just pay-off this sucker early to make the cheese more tasty .

Oh - - - the TV is terriffffic . I can't "see" how an LCD would be better -- - -- especially at the price .

Charlie

11. trapperpg

trapperpg Member

Sony is planning to start buying TV-use LCD panels from Sharp as early as in the next business year that begins in April, a source close to the matter said Saturday. Sony currently runs an LCD panel joint venture with Samsung Electronics, but procurement from Sharp is expected to help it secure enough panels to meet fast-growing LCD TV demand without heavy capital investments.

My personal opinion, if you care about picture quality, plasma is the way.
    Pioneer Elite/Pioneer/Panasonic PZ-line are all excellent sets, and after this year, will be for all practical matters, the same, as Pioneer exits the plasma market.

We just installed a few of the new Samsung LED LCD sets (a 42 and a 50). They did look good, but the detail of a plasma just wasn't there.

I would be cautious of the Vizio unless you are willing to accept the purchase as disposable...the company is headed by the some guy that got Gateway computers into their big plasma mess.

PG

12. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Forrest, I bought the same Samsung model/size as you and we love it! Hap

13. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

I helped my brother pick out a plasma about five years ago. He was told by the store that the life was about three years on the thing. It lasted two and a half. more to fix than to replace. He went with LCD and doing fine so far.

You pay your money and take your chances.

The store would not sell a warranty over the one year of the MFG.

Rock

Jim

14. Jamnss

Jamnss TS Member

Take a look at the Pioneer Elite Plasma's. Hands down best picture on the market. I am in the A/V business (not a big box store) and we sell alot of different TV's and at this point the plasma in most cases is a better choice than LCD. Screen life on plasma is over 50,000 hours. In my book that is a lot of TV viewing. The only application that I would use a LCD is in a room where there is alot of windows to the side and/or rear of the viewing area, where there could be reflections off the glass of the plasma. LCD uses a matte finish plastic screen. You can look a specs all you want but for the most part they are BS, because there is no industry standard that a manufacture has to follow 100% or one test lab that does the test for them. You can test a cheap TV and get it to produce a high contrast ratio by the location on the screen and how the test equipment is calibrated. Find a TV the tv you think looks good to you and fits into your budget. Try to look at the TV with multi sources as in a standard DVD and a Blu-Ray DVD, HD, digital and analog cable (LCD has a hard time on a analog picture but this problem will be gone soon). I would also stay away from off brands because of warranty issues; some manufactures make you pay to send the TV's back to them after say 90 days, or they only warranty select parts. Most better manufactures have gone to a 2 or 3 year warranty. That is my two cents, sorry for the long post,but I hope it helps.
    Jeff Ryals

15. KenC

KenC Member

Yeah, the Sony Bravia LCD, Circuit City, no interest for 36 mos. Somehow those geniuses have figured out how to get rid of direct & reflected glare.

16. cubancigar2000

Thx for all the comments. Looks like Samsung may be my choice, just have to decide whether to go Plasma or LCD. Walmart and Costco seem to be a lot cheaper on these than Best Buy or Circuit City

17. Ken X

Ken X TS Member

The March 08 Consumer Reports Magazine has all the info you could wanton 101 Tv's. They test and rate them in many categories and compare Plasma vs LCD. If you can't find one at the news stand, go to the library. They often keep them for a year.

18. fritzi93

fritzi93 TS Member

Samsung is a major manufacturer of LCD displays, as opposed to complete units. If you buy a second-tier brand, for example Sanyo, the display panel is almost certainly Samsung. That's as recently as a couple of months ago, suppliers can be changed without notice. But there are only a handful of big-time manufacturers of LCD displays. Dunno who Vizio is getting their displays from at the moment.

Often, the difference is in the electronics, sometimes a significant difference. Filters and scalers, in other words. For example, if the TV doesn't upconvert well, you'd see a visible difference when playing DVDs on a good upconverting DVD set-top player as opposed to a regular player. Unless you go with a very large unit and/or your viewing distance is quite close, a good DVD upconversion can compare favorably to hi-def (e.g. BD, Blu-Ray that is). I wouldn't say *almost* as good, but pretty darn good.

Be cautious about Blu-Ray for a while. The profiles are not finalized. Joe Average is NOT gunna be pleased when a new disc doesn't play on his Profile 1.0 player. He won't want to mess around with firmware updates. And if (when?) Sony decides to turn on the full array of HDCP, a lot of folks will be unhappy, mostly videophiles and video hobbyists. The BD consortium has succeeded in killing off HD-DVD, but just because the studios have decided to go BD exclusive doesn't mean the format will take off. It's possible it will become a niche format like LaserDisc, and a next-gen format will become the mass-market standard. Some of you may recall that before DVD took off, the Chinese had a couple of competing standards: SVCD and CVD, which still have a presence in Asia. (Not even counting VCD in India). It's certain they are developing alternatives to BD. The likeliest scenario is their format(s) will be used for pirated hi-def movies and, to some extent, data storage. That would cut into BD adoption rates either way. But that's all speculative.

Dunno about the future of plasma. It has undeniable advantages over LCD, at the moment, and some disadvantages. If Pioneer is any indication, the big players are betting on LCD. Pioneer closed a spanking-new plasma manufacturing facility recently.

BTW, the Vizios get good reviews for a cheap LCD TV, if price is most important. The Toshiba Regza line looks like a good compromise between price and quality. The scaling/upconversion is good, I've seen them. Good luck.

19. Jamnss

Jamnss TS Member

Pioneer is getting out of the 42" market. They will continue to build 50" and up.
    Jeff Ryals

20. trapperpg

trapperpg Member

jeff,
    According to The Nikkei, Pioneer is dropping production of ALL plasma panels after this model year, and will begin sourcing them from Panasonic. The agreement was at first for only the 42", but due to the massive amounts of red ink being bled by Pioneer, the expanded the deal to all size panels. Say so long to Kuro, the best looking panel on the market.

The Kuro-LCD coming later this year will be sourced from Sharp.

PG

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.