1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT/ Pheasant Recipes

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by dr.t, Feb 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dr.t

dr.t TS Member

Have 12 whole birds in freezer waiting for your best recipes.

2. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Skined and quartered and browned 2 birds place in baking plate and cover with sliced mushsrooms, onions and 2 large cans whole tomatos and once can diced tomatos 1/2 clove of garlic cut up bake for 2 hrs at 325 basting every 1/2 hr.
    Serve with green vegtalbe of choice and salad and dry red wine.

3. 5spd

5spd TS Member

Slice breast, stuff in/wrap bacon strips, oinions, butter/oil, season, mushrooms, wrap in foil & put on BBq or in oven till done.
    Can do the same on a stovetop, but put in carrots & celery & shrimp/teryaki sauce & cook till done.

4. Doug Brown

Doug Brown Well-Known Member

Marinate in Coca-Cola. Cut into chunks, wrap a piece of bacon around & cook on the grill. I've cooked pheasants every which way, but this is by far the best way I've ever found.

5. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    The reason for wrapping with bacon is that pheasants tend to be a bit on the dry side when cooked. It does make a difference.

6. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

I can give you a hundred recipes but really you can use them as you would chicken. Easy one that I use for parties and such that my son grew up on thicking he was getting McDonalds chicken nuggest is as follows,

cut pheasant into bite size chunks, dip in butter milk and roll in seasoned flour. Fry until golden brown in peanut oil. Use cocktail sauce, sweet and sour, etc for dipping.

7. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

Pheasant is pleasant; I'll be right over!

8. DJM

DJM Member

I made pheasant pies this year, yummy. Crock pot the salt and pepperred pheasant just long enough so the meat falls off the bone. Remove bones, shot & imbedded feathers. Boil potates & carrots until tender. Mix cream of mushroom soup, canned chicken gravy, the pheasant, potatoes, carrots, frozen peas, and chopped onion. Make or buy a pie crust, add mixture to crust in pie dish, cover with another crust. Bake at 350 for 1 hour or until crust is done. These freeze very well so as long as your making the mess make a couple more for the freezer. I found two whole skinned pheasants was just right for 3 pies. If frozen bake 2 hours at 300 foil covered, increase temp. to 375, remove foil and bake another hour. With the store bought crust it's not too much work. I did not measure the ingredients, but I do not believe the ratios are too critical.

Another one I tried this year was Shore Lunch brand (the fish coating people)chicken wild rice soup mix. I saw it at Menard's of all places and I recommend it. It's qiuck & easy. Just use the same deboned crock potted pheasant instead of chicken. I recommend adding a little more wild rice, onion & celery.

9. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I saturate them with butter and garlic, bake until done and enjoy ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

10. SARGE75X

SARGE75X Member

Pheasants are Chinese Chickens
    So Stir Fry them
    Cut the meat into thin strips (1/4 inch) put in bowl with 2 Tbs of peanut oil and 1/2 tsp or more of ground Red Pepper marinate 2 hours
    Get a pot of water boiling
    preheat a wok or large heavy fry pan
    When pot is hot throw in meat stir fry 2 minutes
    remove meat, throw in prepackaged frozen stir fry vegtables
    at the same time take a package of Ramen chicken soup, remove noodles and put in boiling water
    stirfry vegs for 3 minutes add meat back in and the seasoning package from the soup, stirfry 2 more minutes
    drain noodles put on plate and put Pheasant/vegtables on top.
    Top Shelf,meat will not be dry because its cooked so fast

11. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

That's one heck of a sentence there Sarge !

I think David is having a sale on periods and commas.

12. Dicksie

Dicksie Member

This is Delicious

Game Bird Stuffing

4 slices bacon finely diced
    ½ cup finely diced onion
    1 clove garlic minced
    1 cup heavy cream
    ¾ teaspoon dried thyme
    ½ teaspoon ground cardamom
    ¼ teaspoon celery seed
    1 dash ground nutmeg
    ¾ teaspoon salt divided
    4 cups small fresh bread cubes
    1 egg yolk lightly beaten
    2 Tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
    ¾ teaspoon ground black pepper

Cook diced bacon over low heat until lightly browned, about 6 to 7 minutes. Add onions and garlic; sauté over moderate heat about 5 minutes. Add cream, thyme, cardamom, celery seed and nutmeg. Bring to a simmer, stir in ½ teaspoon salt.

Pour hot cream mixture over bread cubes. Fold in remaining salt, egg yolk, parsley and pepper. Chill completely.

Bone the breast of quail, chukkas or pheasants. Slightly pound each halve between sheets of waxed paper until they are of even thickness 1/2 to ¾ of an inch thick. Make a “sandwich” of the two breast halves, with a layer of the stuffing in the middle. Wrap the ‘sandwich” with bacon, secure with toothpicks. Grill until the bacon is done.

Unused stuffing can be frozen.

The following is suprisingly good too.

Make a broth of the remaining bird bones and carcass’s by covering them with water. Add Monosodium glutamate, salt and scallions or onions to taste.

Simmer broth for an hour or more.

13. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Marinate in Berry Stoli with a can of cranberry. (not cranberry jelly)..a can of snappy Tom.. 2 cloves of garlic for 3 days.. Cut,cube and wash a few big turnips.. a handfull of carrots and celery. Add a few shallots..and bake in a covered magnalite at 350 for a hour.. remove lid and cook till the meat is falling off the bone.. use the juice over popcorn rice and enjoy..

14. Bocephas

Bocephas Well-Known Member

12 birds,the fish cops will be over unless these were killed on a preserve.

Bocephas

15. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Find a recipe for chicken tortilla soup. Substitute pheasants for the chicken. Yum.

Find a recipe for chicken pot pies. Substitute pheasant meat for the chicken.

In a 9x12 glass cake pan, place a mixed can of whatever brand Cream of Chicken soup, mixed (with milk) as stated on the soup can. Into the pan, place slices and chunks of pheasant meat. Bake in the oven, uncovered, at 350°F (I think for about an hour or until the meat looks done.) Serve over mashed potatoes or rice.

Pheasant poppers: Slice of pheasant, slice of banana pepper or jalapeno pepper, slice of cream cheese, all wrapped in a piece of bacon with a toothpick. Grill over charcoal until the bacon is cooked.

Try this link:

http://www.pheasantcountry.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?Category=RECIPE

16. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

dr.t, you have PM

17. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

OK, now, if you have about a spare day and a half on your hands, this is the BEST tasting pheasant recipe I have personally tasted. But it takes a lot of work. I've never done it myself, but the guy who has made this for our skeet league banquet in the past is a chef by profession, and an avid hunter.

http://fooddownunder.com/cgi-bin/recipe.cgi?r=194126

Note, The recipe doesn't call for it, but he usually adds about a quart of heavy whipping cream right before serving.

AWESOME!

18. Kim Little

Kim Little Member

Skin the bird. Use a pressure cooker, poultry setting. Season with salt and pepper over onions. Serve with melted butter and sherry for dipping! Kim

19. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Here's another one.

Mix equal parts jalapeno jelly and apricot jelly. Warm together in sauce pan. Instant glaze!

Apply liberally to pheasant with a brush, then grill, applying liberally while grilling.

20. dr.t

dr.t TS Member

Thanks for some great recipes so far always looking for something new to try.

Bocephas, Fish Cops can sleep well, all preserve birds.

timb99, Have made the pheasant poppers before but have used red onion instead of cream cheese and basted with your favorite BBQ sauce.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.