1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT---Pellet wood stove ??

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by southjblue, Dec 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Need input on the Pellet wood stoves---Will they also burn reg wood logs?Anyone out there using them?---Where do you get the pellets?ETC--ETC---I am snowed in right now and will venture out to do more research but any input from users will give a better review than the sales people selling them---Thanks
    MYSTIC---

2. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I considered one several years ago. The salesman told me that pellet prices were not likely to go up-then came pellet shortages and substantial price increases.

I went with coal instead. A bit dirty and labor intensive but great steady heat and a ton of coal takes up way less space that a ton of pellets. No need to keep the mice fat and happy with free corn.

And they also burn wood too!!

3. clayshtr

clayshtr Member

If you don't mind the expense of the pellets they are nice units. Much cleaner than dragging wood in the house. You do have to clean the firebox about every three days with pellets, if using corn clean it every day. If you buy pellets in the preseason there is usually a discount on them.

4. Trussman2

Trussman2 Active Member

I've been burning pellets for near 20 years. Current stove is a Harmon P61A. I burn a ton of pellets in 4 weeks. At that point the stove is shut down, about 2 gallons of ash removed, some minor cleaning done, and she's buttoned back up & re-lit............the door will not be opened for another 4 weeks............

Pellets are not cheap.......but my only other option is propane.....now about $2/gallon. Click the iburncorn link above..........lotsa info on pellet burners there as well......

5. porky

porky TS Member

I looked at pellet stoves because they are a lot cleaner than woodstoves and coal stoves. One of the problems that they have is you have to run 2 fans on every unit, one to blow on the firebox to get the hot flame there for combustion and another small fan im the unit to exhaust the heat from the unit. That being said however, the heat has to be moved around the house and unless you have another means of moving the heat, it does become stagnant in that area. Power outage and the unit shuts down.

6. Jim R

Jim R Ljutic Nut TS Supporters

We have used nothing other than a pellet stove to heat our house for the last 4 years. When I built this house 4 years ago I put in electric heat but put in a pellet stove in the living room. I was not sure how well it would work and I wanted a back up system. The house is a rambler and is about 1800 sf. I put in an over sized stove (one for a 3000 sf house) on the advice of the salesman

We love it. During the coldest weather (below 25) we will use a 40 pound bag every day and a half. That works out to 20 a month. Pellets by the bag are under $5.00 a bag and closer to $4.50 a bag when you get them by the ton.

As for getting the heat all through the house we will from time to time turn on the ceiling fan and that is all we need.

My biggest worry was what to do if we loose power, and we do here every year. For about $100.00 you can buy a booster/converter that will run the stove for over two days. If we are out of power for longer than 8 hours I have on the generator so there is still no problem.

The biggest draw back is loading the pellets into the stove but most the newer models take two or three bags at a time. And there is the cleaning of the stove, I left a mess the first time it needed to be done and the wife has been doing it every since, so that is OK with me.

Before you buy ask the stove company for a half dozen references of their customers and spend some time doing your research

Jim R

7. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

Consider a corn/(wood) pellet/multi fuel furnace. Multi fuel could be cherry pits (have used) or compressed grass pellets, have not used or even seen. I have one in my 30x40 (all-purpose, everything ends up in here)workshop. I buy a ton of pellets each season approx 200 + or - and then also buy corn either in 50 lb. bags at a feedmill or from a local farmer in 75 lb buckets. The buckets cost me $8 and I guess I can keep the buckets. I don't burn 7 days a week but when I really get busy out there (usually after New Years eve) I can burn for about 4 to 5 days without cleaning. Fire goes out and about an hour later I can suction out the ash with a shop vac without the worry of ANY hot ash. It takes all of about 20 min. if that. Back up and running in no time. I have a chain hoist in my garage and I used to haul corn in 55 gal barrels and them hoisat them out of ther back of the truck and onto dolly's to keep them out of the way. Either in barrels or drums it keeps them out of the appetites of mice. They don't or at least haven't bothered the wood pellets in 3 seasons. I can't tell any difference between the cherry pits and wood pellets, I guess it depends on what part of the country you're in as to what fuel is available at what price. Some folksn can burn straight corn my stove/furnace won't. Maybe I'm doing something wrong maybe not, don't know. What I do know is at 10 degrees outside I can get workshop t-shirt tempertature. Works for me....Sorry about long post.

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

8. kgun_shooter

kgun_shooter Member

I looked at a pellet stove, but the salesman told me that the coal stove was the way to go. The one I looked at burns anthracite, I asked the salesman if the fuel was easy to get and he said yes. I need to do a little more research before I commit to buying.

9. warren

warren Member

When I purchased my house 4 years ago there was a pellet stove there and it needed repair, I tried to get someone to do it and ran into trouble with the cost and after checking the price of pellets I talked to my Propane Distributor and ended up purchasing a log type propane stove that did not require venting, for less than the repairs were gonna cost on the other stove. It's been in place 4 years never have to clean it or service it, works even if the power goes off and most importantly heats the whole house.

warren

10. Bretski

Bretski TS Member

The only way to go. Harman XXV. Heat the whole house. furnace is just on the blower mode.And thats a 3200 sq. ft. Pellets in Idahi are $ 160 a ton Thats about what I burn. Good warm heat.

11. porky

porky TS Member

Pellets in NY are over $ 225 per ton and aren't really that much lower in the off season. Houses usually take about 1 bag a day, but from the things that I see here, transportation to the home is a problem as well as storing pellets. Even outside storage requires room and some sort of weather proof cover.

12. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I have heard good and bad about pellet and corn burning stove. If you can go with a woodburning stove that would be the cheapest way to go. Wood will always be available. I don't know the prices of pellets but corn has gone from $4.00 a bag to $9.00 + a bag in about 5 years. Wood you can cut it yourself.

13. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I've never seen a pellet stove down here in South Georgia but a French company is opening a pellet making plant ten miles from where I live. I couldn't understand why it wasn't being built by an American company. I can't imagine using corn, especially as expensive as it has gotten down here. I'm having to pay $45.00 a barrel(approx 6.5 bushels) to feed the deer. LOL Jackie B.

14. lostandout

lostandout Member

pellet stoves are nice there clean burning and almost no mess i think think the best for your cash is the fahrenheit endurance 50 f self cleaning large hoppers can heat the whole home thru your furnace ducts it can burn almost any biomass fuel http://www.fahrenheittech.com/ and they are made in michigan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.