1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT: Pa. Deer Opener Today!

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by map@neo, Nov 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. map@neo

map@neo Member

I used to hunt the Pa. deer opener for years and was curious if opening day is still as good it was 20-25 years ago? Sure do lament not seeing all those deer.
    Pa. is a great sportsman state. You're a fortunate fraternity of hunters.
    Good luck and safe hunting.

MAP

2. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

My wife got a 7 pointer. Someone else shot it and it dropped dead in her mother's backyard. Didn't even have to clean her gun!!

3. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

it stinks, saw three doe today and passed. found a 2 point that was not legal laying in the woods. the game commission ruined the deer hunting. try to get a deer butchered now with buck and doe together.

4. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

The only nice buck I saw today had a fella dragging it. He said it almost ran him over. Lots of doe but with the fog we had today it was impossible to see anything beyond forty or fifty yards. And as the fog let up...IT RAINED HARD.

5. roger8918

roger8918 Member

Rained all day, saw 6-8 doe, my son missed a small buck. GREAT DAY hunting in PA with my boy. I’m taking my daughter out on Wednesday. No place I would rather be.

Smsnyder, to easy to blame the PA GC for everything, many other things in play.

6. LOWGUN

LOWGUN TS Member

My brother saw 4 does and 2 bucks(a spike and a hugh 4 pt.)I'll hunt the 2nd week and there will be plenty of deer still running around. I like the point rule it gives you more rack bucks. Not like the old days when you saw 30 deer and only a couple of spikes. You have got to get off the road and hunt.

7. PA101_guy

PA101_guy TS Member

I haven't hunted deer in about 7 years or so but lately I've seen lots more......and much bigger deer.... than when I did. I've seen more beautiful bucks laying on 279/79 this fall than I ever have when I had a rifle in my hands.

My uncle lives in Washington county and they're running all over the place in his area.....including a few MASSIVE bucks. There's plenty of nice deer in PA. if you know where to hunt.

Good luck to all and be safe.

KEEP SMOKIN' EM.... Dave

8. hairy

hairy TS Member

Non-typical from South Dakota.

9. ronbo142

ronbo142 TS Member

Tried calling Dad and the brothers to get the report, if conditions are as described would be a tough day for all.

I remember back in the mid-80s when over 1 million where in the woods on opening day.

Ronbo

10. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

Saw three doe about 6:45AM. Was too dark to shoot, so I was sitting with my gun across my knees and my hands in pockets. The leader got about 20 yards from me, saw me (or at least saw that something in front of her didn't look right), and stood there stamping her feet and snorting at me for about 5 minutes, then something spooked them and they took off. Probably an hour later those same three, followed by what I believe was a buck, passed about 75 to 100 yards out in front of me. Too far to shoot in the fog with iron sights. That's all I saw all day. Didn't hear as much shooting as I have the past two years but I figure because of the weather not as many people were out hunting, and those that were found cover from the rain and were staying put. Either way, deer weren't being moved.

30s and snow by the weekend. Saturday will probably be what opening day should have been.

~Michael

11. ronbo142

ronbo142 TS Member

Just talked to Brother #2 he in his son were out ALL day they saw 1 small buck that would not stand still. He said that he never saw so much rain on opening day.

Ronbo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.