1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT - OT??? Spiders

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ouch, Aug 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ouch

ouch Member

For a dry summer this has been a terrible year for mosquitos and spiders.

With the help of several bug zappers the mosquito population is down. But the spider population keeps growing. Because of my dog and small children that visit I can't spray anything that could harm them. However I need to thin the spider population.

I've heard of putting hedge apples around, Spaying dish soap mixed with lemon and many other organic ideas. Please tell me what you have tried. Thanks,Richard

2. shadow

shadow Active Member

I wish you luck. I have been fighting an invasion of Brown Recluse spiders in my home this year. I managed to get bitten by one in a very delicate place while in my own bed.

3. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Spectracide. Spray it on, let it dry. Keep the kids and dogs inside until it drys. If you lived on the Gulf and didn't use it, or something like it, the bugs would carry your house, dog, amd kids off.

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

shadow- The Brown Recluse is a real problem but most other spiders are welcome at my home. They eat a lot of insects that pester me.

Pat Ireland

5. ouch

ouch Member

Pat, My spiders seem to need training because they are not eating enough bugs (see bug zapper info above) but because you are a favorite poster of mine I'll send you a large box full. Richard

6. FRedmon

FRedmon Active Member

I had a spider in my garage the other day that actually gave me the heebie jeebies..

FRedmon

7. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

There's a new one called a brown widow, similar to the black widow. Seems to be all over So Cal in the least couple years. Possibly an import, I haven't been able to get any definite info on them. Brown, has a belly mark just like the black except I think it's purple on the brown widow, and the segmented legs alternate black and brown. Very distinctive looking.

8. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

What 410 said. Use a pump sprayer and get your flowers, shrubs and nooks & crannies around the house & outbuildings, and/or a hose sprayer and drench things.

Either way let it dry and turn the kids & dogs loose.

Add a drop or two of Dawn dish-soap and it hangs around on the plants better & longer.

Bob

9. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Nothing cleanses like fire.

10. BudsterXT

BudsterXT Member

I hate them brown recluse spiders. My uncle has been bitten twice. I was gonna grab the gas pump in ST,Ignace and one dropped down. I beat it to death with the windshield washer squeggie thing. The attendant came out cause he thought I was beating up the gas pump!!!

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

Richard- I would welcome a box of friendly spiders. Be certain to put "to be opened only by Pat" on the box. If my wife opened the box, I might not get dinner for a couple of days and that could change my entire attitude toward spiders. If you can find a spider named Itsy, please include him with the shipment. I have an unoccupied water spout just for him.

Pat Ireland

12. semperfi909

semperfi909 Well-Known Member

Dishwashing soap in a regular mix in a Hudson sprayer will kill any spider and most other insects too. Even ants. And it is totally harmless to pets/people/plants and biodegradable. What's not to like?

Charlie

13. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Lorsban their asses, let it dry and you're good to go

14. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Richard, they are there for a reason. Find the reason, deal with it (destroy their prey and/or habitat) and there will be no more Spiders. It's that simple.

15. phirel

phirel TS Member

Big Spiders will eat little Spiders. Would that be a good trade off?

Pat Ireland

16. BudsterXT

BudsterXT Member

What if you had a really big spider? You would need s super big spider to get rid of the big spider.... Then ya need a super duper big spider....to get rid...

IT is a never ending..

Call peter parker aka spiderman

17. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

"Hot Shot" markets the same basic thing that was the Shell No-Pest Strip. Mash the link above. I like the stuff with Arsenic, but unless you set in a good supply before they stopped selling it, you'd be SOL.

A can of Brake Cleaner Spray will kill just about anything, including small rodents. I use the stuff on bees and wasps, but it will kill spiders, krickets, and your sinuses and brain cells. Bad stuff to use inside. I already glow in the dark, so a little more "stuff" might not put me over the edge.

18. Jack Frost

Jack Frost TS Member

About once a year I load up the tank sprayer with a gallon or so of farm diesel to spray the perimeter of my house. I accomplish a couple things, no bugs and no weeds or vines grow around the house. After a few years of this I think the ground turns sterile! No spiders to speak of at my place.

J.F.

19. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Like Tron said, get rid of the habitat first. Outside, that means keep your wood piles and rock gardens WELL AWAY from the house.

Next, seal off any point of entry into the house. That means take a good look at your foundation, window frames, etc, and also tie some pantyhose over your dryer vent. Seal off any points of entry with caulking or whatever is needed.

Thirdly, keep the inside of the house free of hiding spots (no clutter), and be diligent about vacuuming. Remove any webs, but do it with a long vacuum attachment.

Lastly, find out what kind of spider it is, and then do a web search on its natural predator. Choose an acceptable one (like the praying mantis example above) and order a bunch.

Remember, pesticides will kill off the predators, too. But if you must use them, get a professional to do it and leave your house for a few days on vacation or something. Don't expose yourself or your family to it...it's definitely not worth the risk.

20. letts

letts TS Member

I need help as spiders over run my boat and dock every summer. Drives me nuts, Not to mention the wifes attitude toward spiders is out of control. I do hang a pest strip in the cabin which works nicely, the exterior is the problem no one seems to have a good solution. Pest control people say that nothing they have is approved for use over water. all suggestions are welcome except I will not sell the boat.

Letts