1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT, Opinions on Rifles

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 6878mm, May 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 6878mm

6878mm Member

I am afteropinions on, general quality and finish, so on, of Savage rifles and Stevens rifles, centrefire
    Are they still made in the US??

2. jagrdawger

jagrdawger TS Member

Savage rifles are a great deal for the money and getting better all the time. Their floating bolt head, button rifled barrels and unique barrel nut adjustment of head spacing are secrets to their accuracy. I believe they could not afford to go to some of the modern cost cutting technologies that have hurt many of their competitors accuracy.

The accutrigger is very good and very very safe!!

I have more than a handful and they all shoot great. The only regrets are the ones I have sold!!!

Made in the USA.

3. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Savage rifles are real sleepers. Their accuracy is all out of proportion to their cost and finish. One of the best out of the box triggers too. Barrels can even be swapped out by the user.

Some claim the barrels are a bit softer than comparable Remington or Winchester. Even so, you should be so fortunate as to afford the amount of ammo it's going to take to shoot one out.

The main drawback is the resale value.

4. jagrdawger

jagrdawger TS Member

If you buy used the resale value is a bonus.

5. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

But a used .22-250 or 220 Swift might be all shot out anyway!!! (If the seller was lucky to have burned out the barrel..that's what a varmint rifle is for!)

6. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Condition will probably be a tipoff. I doubt a rifle that's seen between five and ten thousand rounds in the field is going to be "minty".

7. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

If you look at a Savage Model 14 or 114, you will see they have the best metal and wood finishes by far of all the Savages. Stevens rifles are a no frill version with no accutrigger. I own 6 savages and they all shoot great. 338 Win Mag, 270, 30-06, 30-06 Ackley, 338-06 and 7mm Rem Mag and best part is I have 204, 223, 22-250, 243, 308 win, 300 WM, 300 WSM heavy fluted barrels too and anyone with any basic mecahnical common sense and some tools can swap barrels. No gunsmith needed.

Jeff

8. bluedevil

bluedevil Active Member

I bought the Marlin XS7 in .308, Nikon 2X7 scope some Rem 150gr. Went to the range got it on target at 25yds, went to 100 fired 3 shots and only found 2 holes, touching, shot another 3, 3 shots touching. I'm no great rifle shot but this thing flat shoots. Just another opinion and it is shared by many over at Marlinowners.com. Has the acutrigger or a copy of it anyway.

9. melbournemike

melbournemike TS Member

I have a mod 93 bolt action in .17hmr and it is a tack driver! I have yet to try it at 200yds but will this weekend and I expect it will do well,as it shoots under 1in groups at 100yds

10. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

The Savage bolt guns shoot exceptionally well. They won't win any beauty contests though. If you are the kind of guy that really appreciates a nice chunk of wood and other luxury features the Savage won't really thrill you, if you want a rifle that you won't mind using in extreme conditions then the Savage is the gun for you.

11. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Savage has been on the cutting edge for some time now. The Accutrigger put them on the map. Their guns shot good before that but you had to get a Rifle Basix or Shilen trigger.

Now they come with some of the best of the industry: H-S Precision stocks, also they have what they call Accustock which is fantastic.

The plain jane FV is more gun than the counterparts of Winchester and Remington, and the Predator models now have imitators from other makers.

I have several Remingtons, and one Savage LRPV, you can bet my next gun will be a Savage (unless I find a VTR cheap).

HM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.