1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT Opinion: 12GA slug for Black Bear Hunting?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by brian meyerhofer, Aug 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brian meyerhofer

brian meyerhofer TS Member

What do you guys think? Any suggestions? I am going to try using my 12 GA 870 for hunting Black Bear out of a tree stand with either 7/8 oz or 1 oz rifled slugs and iron sights.
    Brian

2. jnoemanh

jnoemanh TS Member

Rem 870 loaded with slugs is standard issue for Alaskan game wardens in grizzly country.

3. tjcutter

tjcutter TS Member

If you plan on shooting 50 yards or less, I can think of nothing better to use. You might want to consider using a scope. It has been my experience that they will tend to show up just before dark when it may be difficult to see open sights.

Tom

4. 100straight

100straight Member

Check these slugs out at the link above.

Shoot well and often,

Mark.

5. DB3006

DB3006 Member

12ga slugs work just fine on Black Bears. But I with toms post a scope would be helpfull in low light conditions. It is hard to pick out a spot on all that black fur.

Dave

6. KelleyPLK

KelleyPLK TS Member

Try a .44 mag if your a handgun person . 20 ga with slugs is enough . Black bear arent thick hide or big doned animals . Use of 10ga with 000 buck is what rangers use in Africa on Woulded game .Slugs on water bufalow . And .470 nitro express from a distance . 12ga with slugs can stop anything in North America .

Pat Kelley

7. Luckyman

Luckyman Active Member

Absolutely!

With the new powder and pointed rifle bullets seated inside shotgun wads is what they call slugs these days. I was reading that one guy was shooting shilouette targets out to 400 yards with a Browning Gold, rifled slug barrel and these new slugs...Out to two hundred yards these new slugs in the right gun can take anything in North America for sure and probably most anything in Africa for that matter.....

8. rooferbob

rooferbob Active Member

400 yards with a slug? Come on

9. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

The gun/ammo combo mentioned by Luckyman will surprise a lot of rifle shooters! I didn't shoot it at 400 yards but I did at 200 and was amazed with such accuracy from a shotgun. Hap

10. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    If you're 870 barrel is smoothbore and uses screw in choke tubes, try a modified with Remington Sluggers, either 2-3/4 oz or 3". These patterned the best with my 1187 with a mod choke tube.<br>
    <br>
    As for 2-3/4" or 3", there isn't much difference between the two. The 3" recoils more, but not because of more powder or slug weight. It has more wadding to fill up the space between the powder and the base of the slug, and thick wads do add some mass and thus increase recoil. Try both slugs and see which pattern best in your gun.<br>
    <br>
    If your 870 has synthetic stocks, try the Remington R3 pad, which is made by Limbsaver. It's worth the $25 it costs.

11. Luckyman

Luckyman Active Member

With the new ammo today I have no doubt that you could use a shotgun on Cape Buffalo or anything else for that matter within 100 Yards....A slug is a huge chunk of lead that can crack an engine block at that range.....

12. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I targeted some of the Wolf 1 oz. rifled slugs in a smooth bore 870 barrel with rifle sights last year with excellent results. With a few adjustments I was dead on at 50 yards and three shot groups were 2" or under. The recoil is severe with a slug so be sure that you have a vest on.

The Wolf “Power Rifled Slugs” are made in Germany and have a plastic wad that attaches to the slug in flight. They were about $3 for a box of five.

I did not get a shot at a deer while using the 870 but took a nice buck with a 700 BDL in .30-06 and a Leupold 3x9AO scope. However, I am sure that the 12 gauge slug, within 50 yards, will drop a black bear or deer with no problem. Up close, a 12 gauge slug will probably stop anything that walks, crawls, swims, fly’s or slithers.

13. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

The buckhammer 1 1/4 once over bait or inside 75 yards look interesting

1 3/8 for the 3 inch I think

regards from Iowa

Gene

14. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

http://www.lightfieldslugs.com/

These are what I use on Western NY whitetails. click on the vids and watch that buck drop.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.