1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT - Open Carry?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by halfmile, Apr 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Don't get the wrong Idea here, I'm not advocating the Old West mentality.

This is not about VA Tech, although the idea came from that tragedy.

I am simply curious about openly carrying a sidearm in the various states.

The CCW issue is debated and examined regularly and we don't need to go into it.

At one time in my state there was no law against a holstered sidearm in plain view. Now, if not statewide I am sure there are many local ordinances prohibiting such.

A few years ago, I noticed in Arizona that openly wearing a sidearm was a regular occurence.

Who knows the law in their particular state/locality?

HM

2. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Open carry is legal in my home town of Shawnee, Kansas.

You don't see very many people doing this though (actually, I've never seen anyone openly carrying.)

3. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

as far as i remember its legal in michigan where local laws do not preclude it. Generally covered under " creating a public disturbance"

4. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I remember a story that, I believe related to a Texas incident. Forgive if the details aren't just exactly correct. It seems this fellow, maybe an off duty policeman, went to the ticket counter at the airport and checked in luggage and got his boarding pass and then went to another counter where he knew he'd have to declare his concealable handgun. He met the fellow at that counter, showed him the gun, demonstrated that it had no cartridges in it, and expected to move on through after securement. The fellow behind the counter said basically, "Well load it; what the hell good is it unloaded?" He was permitted to load and carry the gun just as should happen. BTW, open carrying is permitted in Oregon but could be an offense in some municipalities. Then there's this observation in all the cities I've frequented in the last 20 years: Law men from cities and counties working detective details commonly carry their handguns openly at lunch counters, restaurants, and anywhere else they choose and it doesn't seem to create too many panic events. Although, I always did wonder why one of my compatriots would see the need for "undercover" dress but openly carry the piece and badge - Kinda like an undercover car with 18 antennas on it, eh?...breakemall...Bob Dodd

5. bill1949

bill1949 Well-Known Member

Virginia used to have open carry, don't know if we still do...Bill

6. j-j

j-j TS Member

Dear, Bdodd, glad you pointed that out, the only thing i can add to that is when grasshopper, drives up in is white pickup with those nice yellow colered state plates with a white magnet covering up the sign on the door, and shotgun showing from the front seat.....hmmmm....shoot straight jeff.

7. BuckGuru

BuckGuru Member

Click the website link for an explanation of this map and pertinent open carry info.

Your welcome.

8. gbatch

gbatch TS Member

Check these websites:

http://www.packing.org/

http://www.handgunlaw.us/

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

9. primed

primed Well-Known Member

Minnesota has a permit to carry. Law does not say concealed or open nor does it limit the number or type of handgun carried. One of the local news crews followed some people carrying open. I think of three test cases, one was questioned by police, one had a police officer pull his gun and point it at the licensee and the third was disarmed and handcuffed. In all three cases the carrying party was released after a radio call but why would you wnat to put yourself through all that? I really don't see an advantage to open carry and am not likely to try it myself. If a threat is imminent, it will be in my hand, otherwise it will be concealed. Just my opinion.

Bob

10. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Good information. NOw I can select the states I would like to live in if I ever move.

HM

11. 682LINY

682LINY Member

BDodd,,ther is a basic differane between PLAIN CLOTHES and Under Cover,,,,Detectives are plain clothes not under cover in most cases,,,,also patrol officers can be plain clothes for speical opps,,,,ther guns will be showing in most cases,,,,,,In good old East New York,(brooklyn) that is

12. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Its a common occurance to see people carry openly and its legal in Arizona ... I carry a Glock 17 and its not easy to conceal so it would be considered to be open carry most of the time because its obvious that its not a cell phone ... I have it with me all the time and carry it enough of the time that I usually forget that I have it even though I know its there ... I have a .38 snub that I can conceal with no problem and its a lot lighter besides ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.