1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT Only for MAC users (? about HD problem)

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by pyrdek, Oct 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

Just for Apple users.

I am wondering if any of you have had a problem with a hard drive "failure" after you installed a security update/ The reason I ask is that in the past month or so I have had four different hard drives all completely disappear. The computers they were in were running 10.4 or 105 (including one 105.5 server and there were three different models (IMac-Intel, Power Mac G5, Mac Pro -Intel Dual Xeon) They could not be found by any program including Disk repair programs. It looked like a complete and total hard drive failure. Yet, later, after doing some additional testing and such, two of the hard drives were completely returned to normal. One still had all the files on it available. Both drives have been put back in service. I did not have the other two "failed" drives to test,

I am wondering if any of the Mac users here have had a similar problem lately?

2. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

I've got two in this MAC, plus a backup and time machine - all 10.5, and a couple more in laptops with 10.4. All have all the security updates and none has given a whiff of a problem.

Neil

3. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

For some reason the first time I posted this message I got a failed message that the system timed out. When I re-tried the message went through. But it appears that the first message did indeed get through since Niel already replied. I have deleted the second post and will be putting a forwarding message pointing to this topic.

4. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

According to TBaber, you neeed to throw your system out and buy a Mac, but it seems you already have one. Seriously, I have replaced a few dozen drives in the Mac Books in the last couple of years or so. They just seem to go blank and won't recover, losing all data. I thought the issue was isolated to the laptops, but I've heard of it in other systems as well. It seems to have become a more common event with leopard. According to some experts, it may have something to do with Chinese manufactured drives and the safe sleep feature. If there really is a problem, Apple would be the last ones to talk about it in the public view.

Here's some info that attempts to address the Mac Book failures:

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/10/30/apple_seagate_drive_warning/

You might want to take a look at these forums also.

discussions.apple.com

forums.macrumors.com

5. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Check the above site for general ideas on maintenance and data safe-guarding for you Mac (it refers to 10.2/10.3, but the programs it refers you to are current). Carbon Copy Cloner and iDefrag should be on every Mac...

Macs have a much more rigorous standard for HD's and as such they often 'fail.' What this really means is that they do not satisfy the demands placed on a 'start up disk' (one with the working OS on it), this does NOT mean the disk is lost...

In fact, Macs are very friendly to disks with problems AS LONG AS IT IS NOT THE START UP DISK (I use a Mac to restore data for PC's all the time).

If you have problems with a Mac HD you can run it as a 'slave' disk from another start up disk/machine to run diagnostics, recover data, etc. Either physically move the disk to another machine (easy to do with a tower), or if you have firewire drives hook the machine in question to another working Mac (great for laptops). Start the first machine, once it is running start the machine in question while holding down the "T" key - this enters 'Target Disk' mode and the HD will mount on the machine as an external firewire drive. Find your data...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.