1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT- Older Outboard resource?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by halfmile, Aug 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Looking for a good internet resource for diagrams, parts books, etc for 60's vintage Evinrude. Lots of sites out there, seems like they all want to sell a book for 30 to 40 bucks.

I just need a schematic of a 10020 10 horse 1960 Evinrude.

Info appreciated.

HM

2. TEXASBEN

TEXASBEN Member

HM,

Google, vintage outboard parts there are many sites out there.

Ben D
    TexasBen
    A Mercury Outboard dealer

3. crusha

crusha TS Member

Seen that type before...come into the shop, say "Yeah, I got this motor that Moses used as a back-up motor"...can you give me a schematic for a couple bucks or hint around like they want it for free.

Uh, sure buddy.

4. halfmile

Well, charlie ok. I guess I don't need it after all. Send me a shim for the shift mechanism so the throttle stop works I'll pay full retail. Why should I do your work, anyway.

I just want a part number so I can give an overcharging asshole like you some money.

Your wiseass remark is not an indication of my ethics.

Isn't it time for your self-gratification therapy?

HM

5. 2sonmike

2sonmike TS Member

HM, go to this site and ask these guys. Very helpfull people there. You'll have to sing up, but it might be worth it.
    http://bbcboards.zeroforum.com/zeroforum?id=51

Mike

6. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

I have an old OMC outboard, it is a 2 cylinder with spark advance for the throttle and an all brass lower unit. Was running when put up many years ago. Will sell if anyone is interested. Located in VA. Jeff

7. Steve NJ

Steve NJ Member

Halfmile, You gotta admit, if that comment wasn't directed at you it would be pretty funny! :) Good luck finding the part.

8. halfmile

I know, I worked in a motorcycle shop for some years, I have seen them all.

Spark plug: he asks "which way do you turn it to get it out?" And then " I have a 2 cylinder, do they both turn the same way?"

Used to charge an ignition condenser and leave it on the counter so Icould watch people pick it up. One guy picked it up every day for a week.

Unreal.

HM

9. Steve NJ

Steve NJ Member

Buddy of mine had a repair shop. Every once in a while a customer would bring in the part and want him to put it on. Heard him ask one of them if they bring their own eggs to the diner when they go for Breakfast. The look on the guys face was "priceless".

10. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

There is a company in Minneapolis MN that has a lot of parts for old outboard motors. I can't find the link but maybe a yellow pages search would get it.

11. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

Try these two sites. www.iboats.com and the main one is www.aomci.org

12. halfmile

Garg, cool site, aomci. I found a link on Elgin which I had on from my Dad for years.

Thanks for the info, folks. Just trying to learn, all the time.

HM

13. airborne

airborne TS Member

There is a place in I believe in Elizabeth Il. that has every kind of motor known to man. Don't remember the name. Jack Aichele

14. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

Do A search on ebay for evinrude manual. Lots of results. Item 170140390095 seems to be a good one. I copied it here. Ends pretty quick. In about 3 hours. Ray.......

Categories Motors Express Stores

Advanced Search
    Buy Sell My eBay Community Help

##1##
    ##2##

Back to list of items Listed in category: Books > Nonfiction Books

SELOC MANUAL JOHNSON EVINRUDE OUTBOARDS 1956 to 1970 Item number: 170140390095

Bidder or seller of this item? Sign in for your status Watch this item in My eBay

This item has been added to My eBay for Guests.
    As a guest, you can:
    Track up to 10 items on this computer in My eBay
    Receive an email reminder for this item a few hours before it ends

View larger picture

Current bid: US $6.50 Place Bid >

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

End time: 3 hours 1 min (Aug-22-07 21:38:03 PDT)
    Shipping costs: US $6.00
    US Postal Service Priority Mail®
    Service to United States
    Ships to: United States
    Item location: anch, AK, United States
    History: 2 bids
    High bidder: reno3644( 1 )

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can also:
    Bid with Bid Assistant

Get alerts via Text message, IM
    or Cell phone
    Email to a friend

Listing and payment details: HideShow
    Starting time: Aug-15-07 21:38:03 PDT
    Starting bid: US $5.00
    Duration: 7-day listing
    Payment methods: PayPal (preferred)
    See details

Meet the seller
    Seller: rspickles( 68)
    Member: since Aug-29-05 in United States

Read feedback comments
    Ask seller a question
    Add to Favorite Sellers
    View seller's other items

Contact the seller instantly

Buy safely
    1. Check the seller's reputation
    Score: 68 | 100% Positive
    Read feedback comments
    2. Check how you're protected

Up to $2,000 in buyer protection. See eligibility.

Returns: Seller accepts returns.
    7 Days Money Back

Description

Item Specifics - Nonfiction Books
    Category: Reference

Format: Softcover
    Publication Year: 1993 Condition: Used
    Special Attributes: --

This is a tune-up and repair manual for JOHNSON / EVINURED
    built in 1956 TO 1970.

The manual for the do-it-yourselfer, professional mechanic and classroom student.
    All horsepowers from 1.5hp to 40hp covered
    Dozens of exploded line drawings
    Over 1300 detailed photos and illustrations
    Over 430 pages (SELOC volume 1)
    Complete specifications
    Detailed Wiring Diagrams
    Chapters include

Safety Ignition Lower Unit
    Tuning Electrical Maintenance
    Powerhead
    Accessories
    Timing
    Fuel
    Hand Starter

Manual includes step-by-step illustrated keyed procedures serve as a guide through the complete job including all adjustments. Seloc manuals are known for being very complete. Some competitive manuals will leave out procedures they think are best left to professionals. Seloc on the other hand will warn you of procedures that they think best left to professionals but will still give complete repair instructions for those procedures. OEM manuals are often written for professional mechanics and assume that you already know the basics and therefore will leave some of these out of their manual - and they assume that you will have all the special tools available. Seloc on the other hand will include all basics and will tell of ways to avoid the use of some special tools when known. Even when a work around is provided for a special tool the repair method using the special tool will be included as well.

This is a used manual in excelent condition.

Shipping and handlingShips to
    United States

Shipping and Handling To Service
    US $6.00 United States US Postal Service Priority Mail®
    Estimated delivery 2-3 days*

Shipping and Handling To Service
    US $6.00 United States US Postal Service Priority Mail®
    Estimated delivery 2-3 days*

*Sellers are not responsible for service transit time. This information is provided by the carrier and excludes weekends and holidays. Note that transit times may vary, particularly during peak periods.

Domestic handling time
    Will usually ship within 2 business days of receiving cleared payment.

Shipping insurance

US $2.00 Optional

Return policyItem must be returned within: 7 Days

Refund will be given as: Money Back

Return policy details: buyer pays shipping.

Payment details
    Payment method Preferred/Accepted Buyer protection on eBay

Seller Preferred

Learn about payment methods

HelpTake action on this item
    Item title: SELOC MANUAL JOHNSON EVINRUDE OUTBOARDS 1956 to 1970

Place a bid
    Current bid: US $6.50
    Your maximum bid: US $
    (Enter US $7.00 or more)

Place Bid > You will confirm in the next step.

eBay automatically bids on your behalf up to your maximum bid. Learn about bidding.

Other options
    Back to list of items | Report this item | Printer Version | Sell one like this

Seller assumes all responsibility for listing this item.

eBay Pulse | eBay Reviews | eBay Stores | Half.com | eBay Express | Austria | China | France | Germany | Italy | Spain | United Kingdom | Popular Searches
    Tickets | Kijiji | PayPal | ProStores | Apartments for Rent | Shopping.com | Skype

About eBay | Announcements | Security Center | Policies | Site Map | Help

Copyright © 1995-2007 eBay Inc. All Rights Reserved. Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of the eBay User Agreement and Privacy Policy.
    eBay official time

15. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Member

"Every once in a while a customer would bring in the part and want him to put it on. Heard him ask one of them if they bring their own eggs to the diner when they go for Breakfast."

I raise my right hand and admit I am "guilty" of this practice. I fully realize a repair shop has to maintain a good return on investment to keep their doors open and I also realize a good portion of their income is derived from a large mark-up in parts.

I do 75% of my own mechanic work but once in a while I hire an independant shop to install a higher grade aftermarket part that I supply. I expect to pay a premium when I hire them for labor only but I am upfront about it and I politely ask if they would like to do the work.

As a shop owner, would you take my money for labor only or would you tell me to hit the road?

Tumbleweed

16. magnumshot

magnumshot Active Member

Just keep searching the internet outboard chat sites. You'll probably find the links or schematics to all the info you need somewhere. There are plenty of people that would gladly help FOR FREE. Ebay may be a source as well, at least to show what to search the internet for. Some like to make a buck on anything, and some are helpful. Who the hell wants to pay through the nose on some old low value motor anyhow. I just took my rowboat to a weld shop to see if they could bend some aluminum to fix the weak transom. Uh, $300 to $500 dollars. Jeeze, the boat isn't worth $100. Junkyard here I come.

Don't laugh at stupid questions, there are plenty of stupid mechanics as well, like the jerk who ripped the fake nuts off my SS Camaro hubcaps. My buddy just got an old Jeep. Couldn't get the lug nuts off. They have right hand thread on the right, and left hand thread on the left. You could tell many people didn't know this, as the rims holes were reamed almost the size of the nuts.

17. halfmile

Older Chrysler products had the lug nuts that way too. My Dad said it was so rotation wouldn't make them spin loose.

This I believe was common on all the 40's and 50's Mopars, and maybe later too.

HM

18. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

Glad I could help. Hope you find what you need.

19. joshif

joshif TS Member

Duh, I remember seeing R and L on the studs of a Jeep or Mopar.I guess maybe someone imitating a Richard Petty pitstop wouldn't take the time to look or LEARN something!

20. Zuzax

Zuzax Member

Hey HM,
    I had a guy come in my shop one day with a spark plug that he'd bought at K-Mart for his Bultaco Sherpa T. He says 'what's the gap on this', I say '.035"', he says 'how thick is that'? I say 'about the thickness of a dime'.
    He calls back a couple hours later, 'it won't f*#king start you jerk'!! I say 'did you gap the plug with a dime'? He says' well not exactly, I only had a couple nickles'!!! I went to the fridge for a cold one........

Been there, done that,

Cheers,

George

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.