1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT: Old lefthander dead at 79

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by biff, Nov 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. biff

biff Active Member

Major league's youngest player who was 15 yrs,11 mos, and 10 days old just died at age 79, he was a junior high kid living in Hamilton,Ohio when he got that chance of a lifetime every kid dreams of! Biff

2. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

What a pitcher! Many nights I listened to Joe Nuxhall and Al Michaels call the Reds' games on the radio. We could get WLW very clearly in Louisville.

The old left hander rounded third for the last time, and finally got home. God rest his soul.

Best,
    Dennis

3. esetter

esetter Active Member

He was a class individual and never refused to sign an autograph. Cincinnati is going to miss him. He was all that is good about sports.

4. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I've listened to and watched many games Joe pitched. Roy McMillian at short and Johnny Temple at 2nd D.Houk 3rd and Kluzinski 1st. That was when baseball was pure baseball for me. Hap

5. Don Steele

Don Steele Well-Known Member

A gentleman of the first order. One of thereal "good guys" in professional sports.
    Rest in Peace Joe..

6. Toddy

Toddy Member

Nuxhall I would guess

7. nukinfuts

nukinfuts TS Member

Joe Robinson. The first black pitcher!!

8. crusha

crusha TS Member

I used to love listening to Joe Nuxhall and Marty Brennaman broadcasting the Reds games on the radio. I grew up as a kid during the "Big Red Machine" era of the 1970's...Sparky Anderson, Johnny Bench, Joe Morgan, Pete Rose, Tony Perez...and Marty and Joe on the radio.

This is what sucks about getting old...knowing you'll never hear those words again..."...And this one belongs to the Reds!...this is the old left-hander, rounding 3rd and heading for home..."

9. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Joe Nuxhall used to pitch batting practice and help the pitchers warm up during the great years of the Big Red Machine. Joe was wonderful to listen to and had many, many keen observations on the game. He made you feel like you were in the ballpark. As memory serves, Marty Brennaman was just getting started as an announcer for the Reds.

10. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Didn't Marty B. sub for Wade Hoyte(sp) the Burger beer drinkin announcer for the Reds? Or was that before his time? Hap

11. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

School_Teacher, I believe Marty Brenneman took over for Al Michaels when Al went to San Francisco in '74. Marty is the voice most remembered lately, but Al Michaels was a much better play-by-play announcer.

Best,
    Dennis

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.