1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT Nocturnal Leg Cramps

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by ke4yyd, Sep 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ke4yyd

ke4yyd Member

I am placing this on a number of forums to see if anyone else has had the same results with bone growth stimulators.

I have suffered from nocturnal leg cramps for decades. I have been evaluated by several doctors, neurologist, podiatrist, vascular , etc. with no physical reason found. I usually wake up with the cramps several times each night, some nights more times than others. I have tried every possible remedy with little help. A few months ago I fractured my fifth metatarsal on my right foot which did not union in three months so my podiatrist had me use a bone growth stimulator ten hours a day. I have been using the stimulator for 40 days now. It is an EBI Biometrics bone stimulator system. In order to get ten hours of use each day it is logical to wear the stimulator at night while sleeping. The first night of use I had no cramps. This was so unusual that I took note of it right away. The next 39 nights have been cramp free except when the stimulator quit working. It sometimes became unplugged.

Question, has there been any studies about the bone stimulators relieving nighttime leg cramps? If so, what is the reason? I talked to a product representative about my findings and he felt the relief was due to the stimulator increasing blood circulation. One curious thing is that I have relief in both legs even though the stimulator is only on my right foot. Whatever it is, it is pure joy to sleep soundly without leg cramps.

2. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

I would believe that it has to due with the increased circulation as well. When a muscle cramps it is due to a break down in the chemical process. Usually something is missing to release the muscle. There are three main chemicals that elude me know. The increase circulation is probably keeping them fresh. After you finish with the stimulation you might consider trying compression stocking. They are usually used for people with swelling in their extremities. If those work you found a simple cure. Good luck. I'm sure a MD will pipe in sometime.

3. ke4yyd

ke4yyd Member

Hope for more replies....

4. Harold T. Pack

Harold T. Pack Member

Dr. Gott recommends a bar of soap be placed uned the sheets near the feet. Unbelieveable it seems to work. Doctors will recommend qunine. I personally take a potassium pill for UI think that cramps are due to a lack of electrolits.
    Harold T. Pack

5. K-GUNS

K-GUNS Member

I had a friend who was on high school wrestling team and he would wake up at night with severe leg cramps.An old fashioned country Dr told him: when you get woke up with leg cramps, drink plenty of MILK,even as much as one quart if needed.
    Cramps went away and he was fine.

Will it work for you, don't know but what can it hurt to try ?

6. Harold T. Pack

Harold T. Pack Member

OOOPs, did not reread sorry for the misspellings. Have reversal problems. Let me retype.
    Dr. Gott recommends that a bar of soap be placed under the sheets near the feet. Unbelievably it seems to work. Doctors will perscribe uinine. I personaly take a potassium pill for I think that cramps are due to a lack of electrolis especially after standing for a long time or strenuous activity.

7. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

have the same problem, low potisum is main colurpt, eat more banna's or take quinine tablets. You can get them from your local drug store, not over the counter, from the pharmist, they don't require a prescription, but only the pharmist can give them out. Bad spelling but you get the drift.

8. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

One other item, drink more water then you are drinking, even if you think you are drinking enough now.

9. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

I use a pill made by Hyland's called Leg Cramps with Quinine. One pill a week works for me. Some idiot in Indiana made them illegal to sell over the counter because of the quinine, so I have to drive over to Ohio to get them. Wayne

10. ke4yyd

ke4yyd Member

Thanks folks for the replys but I wasn't looking for ways others got rid of cramps. Believe me, I have tried them all already. What I was looking for was if anyone else had heard about or used a bone growth stimulator to relieve cramps.

11. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Lot's of calcium.

12. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

It's calcium, magnesium, and potassium. All are required for proper muscle function. There are several other ions that are necessary, too, but the 3 stated are the ones that most people have heard about.

Several studies published years ago in various Physiology journals (and archived at NIH) suggest that calcium sensitivity of contractile proteins is reduced after a certain threshold of electrical stimulation. There are other studies that suggest that low frequency electrical stimulation of the nerves causes blockage of pain signals to the brain. Hi frequency stimilation has been shown to increase endorphin production.

Electrical stimulation, depending upon the frequency, power level, and duration, has various effects on ion channels in smooth muscle tissues in various parts of the body (including the muscle cells in the veins and arteries).

It would be diffiucult to reach a definitive conclusion with the myriad of studies done on isolated fibers, since these fibers are effected by several systems when in the natural environment of the body. IMO, we can only conclude within a percentage of certainty.

I am hoping that Texshooter weighs in on this topic. He is an M.D. and usually has some insightful input in these types of conversations.

13. ke4yyd

ke4yyd Member

Update of nocturnal leg cramps. I generally have to get up 3 or 4 times a night with leg cramps. My Physical Therapist told me it due to my back problems. He seems to thing any problem below the waist is a "back problem" so I ignored him. I developed severe sciatica pain recently and the MRI showed two new herniated disks so I now have a herniaterd disk on L3, L4 and L5. The only way I can sleep at night without pain is on my back with a wedge pillow under my shoulder and a 12 inch high cushion under my feet. Not only does it stop the sciatica pain but it eliminated the leg cramps.

14. Twixter

Twixter Member

I have tried the bar of soap between the sheets and have not had one cramp in over three months. Before that I had at least two every night. It may sound wierd but it works for me. Mick

15. M-16

M-16 TS Member

I liked drink the quart of milk would stop cramps. Ya you would be getting up to piss before it cramped up.lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.