1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT-Nitrogen in Tires

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by chatbrat, May 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chatbrat

chatbrat TS Member

Just got a flyer in the mail from a local tire/service co.---they are offering to fill 4 tires with Nitrogen for $29.95+tax---I think its a scam---they say it will increase mileage & tire life----Phil

2. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Air is 74% N2.(at least around here)

It's a scam.

3. nipper

nipper TS Member

no its not a scam,nitrogen dosent expand or contract,nascar uses it and the reason is stated above,plain and simple it will save you money in a years time.

bill

4. chatbrat

chatbrat TS Member

Nipper-- if you say its OK its, not OK--honestly after looking at a lot of your posts---if it was raining & you said it was raining & I got soaked I would not believe you---Phil

5. wolfram

Wow, and all this time I thought N2 was as close to an ideal gas as it gets. You know ..... PV=NRT. If you think an incopressible fluid is best for pnuematic tires then by all means try water or better yet calcium chloride. You don't have a clue what this means do you?

6. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Air is 78% nitrogen anyway. All gasses expand and compress at the same rate, as I remember about 1/273rd for each change of one Kelvin degree. Nitrogen is dry but that's about it. Tires don't rot from the inside anyway, do they? How will it increase gas mileage? Why $30 when it can't cost a tenth of that for the gas? Are they careful to remove _all_ the air from the tire before refilling? Just exactly how do they do that? - that's the tough one.

Save your money for a Dean Drive.

Neil

7. kolar12

kolar12 Member

When I was in the Air Force, we used nitrogen to purge our inertial navigation platforms. The idea behind this was to remove the water vapor and prevent corrosion. To do this, you had to fill it, let the nitogen out, fill it again and do this three more times. It would take the moisture out with it, each time getting more of the vapor out of the platform.

The only benefit I can see in the tire inflation is that if you did the purge process, you would remove the possibility of the aluminum rims oxidizing around the bead and leaking or going flat.

Gary

8. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

I always thought it was enough to put summer air in when it got hot, and winter air in when it got cold. ;)

Works for me!

Hauxfan!

9. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

yes tire and rims rot from the inside, Nitrogen is the next big thing. Soon it will be mandatory Im sure for all Tire shops to fill with nitro. Hey guys what about the Tire preasure monitors? How about the 100$+ replacement when the batteries in the transmitters go bad in 3 to 5 years. As far as Nitrogen being more stable? We hand a Nitrogen Generator Rep come in. Gave us 2 tires filled with Nitro and regular compressed air. Left tire out side to get the temp changes. The nitrogen did stay to the 35psi for the week we had it, Also depending on the compressor you maybe getting a lot more moister in your tires than you think. I know Our compressor with out all the water seperators , well you could was a car with it. To each his own. If you feel better doing it, go ahead do it.

10. nipper

nipper TS Member

phil,

with sites like this with no interaction except words,it makes it harder dosent it?? you dont have a clue who i am or what i do.

Bill

11. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

Nitrogen has characteristics that are great for race car tires. It doesn't expand and contract as much with heat/cold/moisture. Therefore if you are setting a suspension it helps eliminate one of the variables.

For street use it has minimal advantage. Even if I had it readily available I wouldn't bother on a street car.

Jerry

12. chatbrat

chatbrat TS Member

Anyone know Nipper-I don't know any real person who uses the name Nipper---the only thing I know is a great bar in the ABACOS called Nippers---had a few lost times there---Phil

13. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Here's a link to someone saying its great:

http://www.getnitrogen.org/why/index.php

Here's another:

http://www.sptimes.com/2005/09/28/Tampabay/Nitrogen_in_your_tire.shtml

Bottom line, if you check the air pressure in your tires regularly, using air is fine.

14. trappermike

trappermike Well-Known Member

Why don't we get an oxygen sucker. Over fill the tire 20% with regular air and then use the oxygen sucker to suck out the 20% of oxygen leaving the nitrogen and the trace gases in the tire? I bet with a straw and a filter a guy could get rich off of suckers. Oxygen suckers that is.

Work with me,

Mike

15. wolfram

Yea Jerry it does expand and contract with temperature according to .......
    oh what was that silly law ..... maybe PV=NRT? (T is for temperature, R is a constant, n is the mass of the gas also a constant in a sealed tire, P is pressure, V is volume.) So if the temperature goes up, like when you are racing around a track @ 200 mph, the pressure and/or the volume increases porportionally.

16. nipper

nipper TS Member

There is no doubt a user name of nipper is much more unique than chatbrat. i will give you one hint,even though you probably need more--- thomas eidison---. you must not read the rules of use,in a nut shell -at least use your real name at the completion of a posting.

Bill

17. earlsue

earlsue TS Member

I'm going to fill my trailer tires with it because I get tired of checking them every trip I make, they do stay consistent.

18. nipper

nipper TS Member

i wont trons opinion

Bill

19. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

Ok Wolfram but the point is that nitrogen is much more predictable.

Here's a cut and paste that says it better than I:

"Many race car teams use nitrogen instead of air in their tires because nitrogen has a much more consistent rate of expansion and contraction compared to the usual air. Often, a half pound of pressure will radically affect traction and handling. With track and tire temperatures varying over the duration of a race, the consistency of nitrogen is needed.
    Nitrogen pressure is more consistent than normal air pressure, because air typically contains varying amounts of moisture due to changes in the relative humidity on race day. Water causes air to be inconsistent in its rate of expansion and contraction. So, a humid race in the southeast United States or a dry race in the desert western United States could make for unpredictable tire pressures if "dry" nitrogen were not used.

Nitrogen is also used in the high-pressure tires on large and small aircraft"

20. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Nitrogen is an inert gas. It doesn't change pressure with temperature changes. No water vapor.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.