1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT-new car maintenance

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by oletymer, Jun 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oletymer

oletymer Member

As far as the filters yes that is BS. Depending on how you drive the miles betwwen changes could be correct.

2. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Read your new car warrenty book, says it all. Or better yet Get this guy to give you the warrenty quidelines hes talking about, most new cars are way up in oil change intervals 5000 7500 is not un heard of. Read you new car books that by law should come with the vehicle. owners manual warrenty disclaimer, and usually a sound system book, couse thats what cars a built around today, radios and gps and paddle shifter things. good luck

3. Ken X

Ken X TS Member

Your damn right it is! He wants to make money off all the suckers! Its the manufacturer that has done extensive testing for that kind of thing, they certainly want to make sure what they recommend will not cost them money in warranty repairs. THAT is what you should go by, not some idiot that wants more of your money. 98% of the time if you take it back to a dealer just for oil changes you're paying too much money, sometimes double what other places charge also.

I also would NOT use the manufacturers filter. I used to have a test around here for oil filters that was either in Consumer Reports or Popular Mechanics, and Fram filters were SO MUCH better than all the other brands that none of the others were even close! Included in the tested brands were all the popular ones including Fords and GM's. Frams were WAY better. Since then, even if I get a $15 oil change at a discount place, I give them a Fram to use that I bought from Wal-Mart. They can keep their 99 cent filter! The gall of some dealer trying to make a buck telling you the manufacturer is wrong is surprising, while he sits an his office counting his money. He just knows a lot of consumers are suckers. Like the people who will buy a car that just came out without reading a full test on it in an auto magazine, before buying that big of an investment.

4. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

If you are talking about the Big 3, no there is no requirement as stated by your dealer. This might be what he has found to be the best practice for his customers. If you deal with him for your service requirements, he will of course use OEM filters. Bill Malcolm

5. Steve NJ

Steve NJ Member

Fram is one of the worst filters out there. read the above tests. Fram uses the cheapest internal components. In my opinion Wix or Baldwin are 2 or the better one's and can be purchased online for a reasonable price, almost inline with Fram from Walmart. Last place I would want to get cheap is with the oil filter.

6. avidtrapshooter

avidtrapshooter TS Member

theres nothing wrong with a fram oil filter i have never had a problem, but then again i change my oil every 2000 miles, so the oil is still pretty clean when i change it out.

7. Ken X

Ken X TS Member

Man! There is a guy with a lot of spare time and money! Or nothing better to do!

8. Ken X

Ken X TS Member

The test from Consumer Reports (I think it was) specifically measured the crud and small particulates left in the oil after it passed thru the filters, and was done in a lab. The test mentioned above was based more on how they looked for internal construction more than anything! I didn't see where it analyzed what dirt what was left in the oil! The test that actually analyzed how much crud was taken out of the oil said that Frams were WAY ahead of all the others! That does not mean that something newer couldn't possibly be made as as good or better.

9. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

Guys I'm not a mechanic and I'll never be one either. Here's a story about oil changes and you can believe it or not. I was a kid and one of the familys we did a lot of things with was a guy who had 6 drivers for about 4 vehicles at home and he also owned a small station and truck stop. WE were going to go about 25 miles one way to eat out and he was taking one of his 225 Buicks. He says to hold on a minute cause he needed to change the oil. My Dad kidded him about the oil going to be good for another 50 miles and he was finished draining and had replaced the plug and new filter and asked me as he was creeping out from under this car to check the mileage. I looked and the odometer read 76000 and 4 tenths. I was in amazement at that cause my Dad always traded under 50 thousand miles. When Lyle got all the way out from under the car he shook his head at the mention of all those miles and I then figured out he ment there were one hundred thousand more and he shook his head again and held up two fingers and the seventy six thousand. He then told me to change oil and filter every thousand and you can drive them forever. I must admit lately I have been cheating and going about 500 over:) I have driven a bunch of miles and I drive my vehicles hard and I've never blown an engine. Another thing is when you are under the damn things so often you can check for leaks and other maintenence that needs to be taken care of. Those new cars that say the oil is good for 7500 miles I think is double too much, Dan

10. avidtrapshooter

avidtrapshooter TS Member

yeah i usually have nothing better to do and i like doing it, and as dehaub said you will drive it a lot longer if you change it early, i got 160000 on mine so far and i am 18 so you can imagine the crap its seen since i got it its had its problems but nothing engine related its the stupid transmission!! you just can't win with them things its on its second transmission and on the second one we already had to do an overhaul on it. pain in the butt!!!

11. kehrby

kehrby Active Member

You guys can complain all you want about the dealer but I will tell you something. The dealer cares more about you and your car than the manufacturer ever will. The dealer NEEDS you! He needs you to come back to him again. The manufacturer doesn't give a damn about you as long as they can get you through the warranty period and changing your oil every 7500 miles will get you through the warranty period much not much farther unless you use synthetic.

There is a little known secret out around the car making world now that customers don't want to do maintenance at all. The manufacturers are making the cars go at least 100K without doing much of anything EXCEPT changing oil. They figure that most people will trade before then. Air filters that don't need to be replaced but when they do they cost $200. Same for fuel filters. Transmissions that don't require service, yeah right! Lubed for life wheel bearings, HA. Spark plugs that last 100K but break off in the head when you do try to get them out! I could go on and I speak of what I know!

Change your oil every 3000-4000 miles. Its the cheapest insurance there is!!! Maintain your vehicle the way the dealer recommends and you will be much happier in the long run.

Steve

12. cableguy

cableguy TS Member

I have three cars. Newest one is a 2000. Other two are 1994s. The 2000 Chrysler is 138,541 (Had to change the battery out today.) The 1994s, both Chevy's have over 160,000 miles on them. Oil changes EVERY 3000 miles, 3500 max. Transmission fluid every 30 to 40 thousand miles. All three still going strong. I use NAPA gold/Wix filters and Havoline oil exclusively and. I'd use Hastings filters if I could find them. I'm lucky, I work at an old school gas station/garage on Saturdays, mainly to support my ammunition habit. But I have done oil changes every three thousand miles for my entire life. I expect to get 200k miles out of all of these cars because of the regular maintainance. 7500 miles between services is a joke.

My$0.02
    Shawn

13. jester-the-molester

jester-the-molester TS Member

Steve-NJ

Did you even read the first couple of paragraphs:

"These pages are NOT to be taken as gospel. The primary motivation behind this study was to provide information about what oil filter brands are made by which manufacturers. The secondary motivation was to uncover some of the obvious internal construction issues of these manufacturers. This "study" is not a "test"."

"The primary shortcoming of this study is the small sampling size."

You can't beat a FRAM.

14. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

The dealer is trying to take advantage of you as a unknowing consumer. You might consider reading the owners manual for the specifics on service, Cars a built better than ever much more reliable and far fewer repairs dealers need to get you back any way they can for service dollars but your dealer if full of crap. You may want to contact the zone office about what the dealer told you and get their response. My brother in-law has a 02 Caddy with 85k he heard a slight knock in the engine. His dealer told him it would be $6K to tear down the engin and repair. The car used a qt of oil every 15k from day one, he was religous about following the oil change intervals and had the records to prove it. I told him to call the zone office for Caddy, they met at another dealer and had the engine "deslugged" for $50.00 no more knock. The manufactures do care about their market share and keeping customer loyalty high.

15. argus tuft

argus tuft Member

Modern engines remain in tune all the time unlike the old Carburetta, Distributor points and mechanical and or vacuum advance systems, these engines were only in tune for about 500 mile after you had a full tune. As such lots of unburnt fuel and carbon deposits ended up in the oil, you also had open crancase ventilation dragging in all sorts of dust and pollution necessating regular Oil changes. Engine oils have improved markedly in recent times and coupled with good quality filters, extended change intervals are not unreasonable, some of the Europeans like BMW and Mercedes are now out past 20,000 kilometers. With filters it is a matter of the quality of the paper they are using and how much they are cramming into the case, and don't be fooled by some of the new type small filters you will be amazed how much paper they can fit in there, it is also about bypass valves and the quailty of the construction of all the pasts that make up the filter. You will do best using premium oil filters and engine oil and going over a bit than changing regularly using lower end products. There is more damage done to modern engines by clogged and or leaking air filters and poorly maintained cooling systems than everything else combined.

Argus

16. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Before you accuse a dealer of being dishonest, you might want to read your owner's or maintenance manuals more carefully. Since 1975, in a reaction to our country's first "oil shortage" a few years earlier, most automakers have recommended oil changes every six months or 7,500 miles unless you use your vehicle under certain operating conditions. That's where most of us stop reading but turn the page and learn that those "certain conditions" include short trips (that's a lot of us, almost every one of our wives and kids and as gasoline prices continue to rise, that group gets larger), hilly terrain (that's the entire state of Pennsylvania) and daily ambient temperature swings of 30 degrees (that's Pennsylvania almost all year) as well as the expected trailer towing, dusty roads, etc. Under any of those conditions, they recommend oil and filter changes every three months or 3,000 miles. Of course, that mileage interval can be extended with synthetic oil. But that dealer just might be doing his customers a favor as I've seen first-hand the sludge accumulations that result from leaving oil in an engine too long.

Having worked for new car dealers all my life, I've seen many cases of warning lights, for real low oil pressure and other lubrication-related concerns corrected by replacing an aftermarket oil filter with an OEM part on numerous brands of cars, both foreign and domestic. The calibration of the filter's by-pass valve was determined by the engine manufacturer and is critical.

Fram filters were rated as the worst of the bunch in a test of motorcycle-specific filters. I've never been concerned about their performance in cars (see previous paragraph). GM AC-Delco oil filters, as an example, can be purchased in many parts houses (Auto Zone, Advance, etc.) for no more than an aftermarket one, so why experiment? That could be costly if you do have a lubrication failure, especially if your car is out of warranty - why should a manufacturer extend any goodwill to you if you used someone else's filters? Maybe you should address your request for financial assistance to the filter manufacturer and see how far you get.

Someone else said previously that oil changes are the cheapest insurance for vehicle longevity that you can buy. That always was true and still is. Pick any part of a car and you'll find that maintenance of it is always less expensive than repairs to it.

Ed

17. phirel

phirel TS Member

And Ed, maintenance is getting easier. My cars have dash lights that come on and tell me something is required. I have my oil changed every time the light says oil change required. The cars even tell me when I have low pressure in a tire.

I wish my gun has sensors to tell me when a part was ready to be changed.

Pat Ireland

18. Steve NJ

Steve NJ Member

To the Fram fans and defenders, I used Fram for years thinking I was using the best. After reading the information provided on the site I provided I cut a couple of filters open and found the posted results true. The anti drainback valve in the Fram is not very good. This opens the possibility of dirty oil being backflushed into the oil. I showed some motor head friends and we all concluded we were not going to use Fram anymore. If I can get a better quality item for very close to the same $, why would I not buy the better one? I want the best filter I can get for such an important function as filtering the oil in my engines. I right now have 2 vehicles with over 100,000 miles on them. Neither burn any oil in the change interval. (3000-3500 miles) I was just providing information, not trying to start an argument.

19. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

I have always in the past and still in the present changed oil at 3000 mile intervals. My filters always seem kind of heavy when I change them so I guess they are working pretty good at catching the dirt or whatever.

I do not have the canister type. Back in the 50s they had add on oil filter canisters where you put a roll of toilet paper in it. Ray

20. smartass

smartass TS Member

Yea, Bernie, that's real smart. Change your oil every 10,000 miles and give up your warranty. Try to think before you utilize a keyboard because there are people out there as goofy as you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.