1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT Need some rules for new driver

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by msmith, Aug 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. msmith

msmith Member

My son will buying a used truck today. It will be under my name and insurance. I am setting some ground rules and would like some more ideas. Here is what I have so far. Any evidence of boose , drugs, any tickets, the truck is gone. No riders under 21 with out permission. Any accidents (that are his fault) -its gone. Any other rules or ideas will greatly be appreciated. Thanks, Mike

2. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

You have set all the rules that I would have set for my daughter, who will start driving in 2009. The only thing that I would add is to warn him of the dangers of changing CDs while driving. I've been hit twice by teenage boys who were changing CDs in the car and not looking at the road. Maybe you can buy him an ipod and adapter for his car instead.

3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Be prepared, he will eventually have an accident. It is a fact of teenage driving

4. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

He will get a ticket and he will wreck the truck. Most important rule is to wear a seatbelt and require all his riders to wear seatbelts.

5. SirMissalott

SirMissalott Active Member

Mike,
    It is a tough undertaking with teenagers. If I had to give any advise at all it would be to "NOT" believe anything they say, as they will do anything for their own pleasure without regard for anyone else. Assume that they're IQ goes down by a multiple of 2 by each passenger in the car. Don't allow any electronic devices i.e. radio, cell phone, I pod etc. Constantly find out where they "SAY they have been and are going. Know and educate yourself on the number teen related auto fatalities and try to put it in perspective. Try to remember what it was like when you were a teenager and multiply all the external peer pressure by 10 fold. Above all and most importantly love them unconditionally and pray for the best. Just my $.02 Jim W

6. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

msmith:

The big issue is safety. Unsafe acts whether they result in an accident or not need require consequences up to and including loss of driving privileges.
    Seat belts for driver and riders are a must. Nobody rides in the back of a truck if its going down the road.

And... there's evidence to suggest each additional kid in a vehicle increases the likelihood of an accident. In other words three is worse than two. Four is worse than three, etc. You might consider limiting the number of kid riders unless there is at least one mature adult.

sissy

7. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

I consider my oldest son a very safe drive now 42 yrs old but the first week of his driving career he had his first accident right in town doing 20 mph . A local clerk from the boro pulled away from the curb and surprised him and he hit her with my pickup . no one hurt and she was to blame . Second was doing 60 on a major highway when another old lady drove thru a stop sign and he totaled his and her car . He was young and they were both old and both their fault . Not always the case when we see young drivers speeding to prove they`re invincable causing death and distruction . My other son also had an accident involving an older person driving thru an intersection -- red light -- looking on the floor for his CD , and he was a local politician who had the accident overturned in his favor so my son took the blame and there was nothing we could do ??? Accidents will happen and I hope if one occurs , it isn`t life threatening . I never took my son`s off the road because of what happened to them .

8. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

You didn't mention how the truck is financed. My idea with two daughters was to co-sign on loans for relatively inexpensive "first cars" and then it was; miss a payment? It's mine - Insurance? On my policy but you contribute the amount it went up adding you - get a ticket? You pay and you may lose the car to me - get in a wreck? You fix and you may lose the car to me - Any booze and it's mine, All passengers wear belts. Strict hours were set down and obeyed. The result is neither had tickets, wrecks, or other problems and when they got to their early 20s and employed, they had the credit record to buy any vehicle they could afford and continue with that fine record......breakemall....Bob Dodd

9. little gambler

little gambler Active Member

Uhhhhh How about no texting while driving or talking on the cell while driving?!?!?....... l.g.

10. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Yeah, gambler, I didn't have to deal with that well back in the other century but you're sure right.....Bob Dodd

11. Big Dave

Big Dave Member

I told my son and his friends, if they would made me a promise I would make them one. If they, ever drank to excess or did anything that might impair their driving, if they promised to call me to come get them, I promised to go get them, take them home with no yelling or lecturing. I was called once by my son and several times by his friends. They are now in their thirties and I haven't had to get up and go after any of them for a while. I recently made the same deal with the granddaughter of a friend and will do so for any young driver as long as I am able to drive. Tell your that he now and adult and you will treat him like one until he gives you reason not to, and he has your respect, as long as he is willing to give you his. The most important thing is, no matter how hard, to keep your word.

12. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

You should require decent grades and attendance if that applies. Other than that, if something happens give them the benefit of the doubt.

My son wrecked 2 cars for his mother but they were both the other drivers' fault. Yes, a more experienced driver may have avoided those accidents.

Comes with the territory.

HM

13. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

If its an 8cylinder pull 3 spark plug wires....give him one back every 2 months he goes without a ticket or accident, or any other rule/curfew violation.....my parents only let me take my car to school because the rule was I had to be home within 25minutes of school last bell...to jump into homework immediately until completed...(with an A average maintained)before I was let out to ride for fun...had to be home by 9:30 on school nights if I managed to get out

14. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Everything said above is good advice. If I had a new one to add to my insurance policy these days, I'd tell him/her I'm installing a hidden GPS sending unit so I know where the car is at all times for their own safety? That would keep them occupied for quite a while trying to find it. Hap

15. nspktr1

nspktr1 TS Member

The new Nike Sasquatch in 9 degree is a good one, expensive though.

16. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

You don't have to hide it Hap...just tell him if it EVER stops talking to you ...his tags and keys are pulled

17. Kynoch

Kynoch TS Member

msmith
    FWIW; My idea was for both kids to work and not blow the income from any opportunities 13 and up. When the urge to drive and have that car came along, one was found and about 2/3's of their saved money used to pay for it. Usually in the sub 2K range. Ins. was my cost, gas was theirs. It was understood with liability only that if wrecked, it was junk and they walked. This seemingly turned out well as they are both in their 30's and only one headlight ring broken on a bleacher-backing out/turning sharp, and a caved in car door-backing in a parking lot. No other problems. Of course you can't make this work if you waited till driving age to start the process.

18. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

All very good suggestions. Some of them may not be applicable in your case.

And if they question you just tell them the rules are because you're selfish and want to have them around to support you in your old age.

HM

19. Juno

Juno TS Member

Never buy a new driver a truck or SUV! Make them drive a small vehicle. A new driver in a big truck will kill someone. Like CC said, they WILL get in a wreck. Most likely their fault. Driving a big truck there is more damage to be done.

Juno

20. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

I believe a big truck or pickup will protect your son better than a little car. I like your rules and Calvins and Royce10. And the GPS idea also!

A friend of mine lost his car when he left spin out marks on the pavement. The next morning his dad sold it.... told him if he wants a car now... go work and buy it yourself.

WesleyB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.