1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT: Need recommendation for new struts

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by TC, Feb 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TC

TC TS Member

Need to replace a badly leaking strut on the wifes car. Any difference between manufactures?

2. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Monroe or KYB make great products

3. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

I dunno, but you may consider calling Ward's Automotive in Placaerville, California. Larry Ward owns and runs his own auto repair shop and is a very giving club member at the El Dorado Calif. Gunclub. His repair shop is immaculate!! Larry also does a tremendous amount of work for the club running the traprange. So...his knowledge about strut mfgs. would be credible and honest. So ask for fellow trapshooter, Larry Ward. I don't have the phone number offhand, but should be easy to get. Technically, his shop is in Shingle Springs, El Dorado County, California.

4. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

Just pick one, probably made by Monroe anyway.

5. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I just put KYB shocks all the way around on my truck. made a big diff & you can order them on line reasonable for an easy DIY but Struts are not as easy unless you have the tools

6. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Can't go wrong with Bilsteins. Best ride I have ever had out of my pick-up truck was when I added them. If they make them for your vehicle, they are worth the extra money in my opinion. Lou above is right about the DIY of struts and springs. Those coil springs can be dangerous if you don't know what you are doing. I've seen one launched across the shop.
    grntitan_2009_2503182.jpg

7. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

buy the complete strut assembly, don't mess with parts.

8. ctreay

ctreay Member

Ditto about watching the coil springs, I was in a shop back in the 60's getting some work done when a front coil spring came up out of a Rambler and proceded to fly around the shop. It bounced off of two cars damaging both. They had the hood open and were jacking one of the front wheels and out she came.

ctreay

9. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

If you go the kyb route, and I've always liked kyb shocks, there is an outfit that specializes in selling them mail order. I believe the company is PST, Performance Suspension Technology...should be easy to Google.

I have heard about the fine reputation of Bilsteins. Bought a set once, and they started leaking very early on. Maybe they were counterfeit? Is possible?
    However, they did improve the ride quite a bit until they failed early on.

Re. that truck above: Great looking disc brake rotor on that 4x4 truck. For towing or plain old driving fast? Some diesels really go fast these days with modificatioins...nice looking set up there.

10. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Chango,

I do a little towing but nothing super heavy or long range. Mostly just the Combine headers from field to field during harvest. I'll admit I have a bit of a heavy foot and the truck loves to do it. The thing I like even better is stopping safely. The front brakes were under sized and sub par for the vehicles weight and wheel/tire combo. I fixed the problem with larger EBC discs and pads. I also added stainless steel braided brake lines and upgraded to a high temp Dot4 brake fluid. Talk about an improvement in braking.

I suppose you could have gotten a bad set of Bilstein's. I had a set on my truck before this one and they were still working great after 80,000 miles on them. I have had this current set on all four corners since early 2010 and they still work like new. I do my share of off road driving and the ride is still there.

11. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

Go with the bilsteins. They are far and away the best strut your going to need. I love them.

I have the most expensive monroes I could buy on the back of my truck for about a year. I have the bilstien struts on the front for 6 yrs.

The monroes are all ready rusting.

Bilsteins ride great and still looking good.

12. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I really have liked the Monroe "sensitrak" shocks. They are ported and are real soft in the middle of the range for a smooth, gentle ride when the bumps are small. On the outside ends of the shock travel, they get stiff for good control when the road is rough. I first had them put on my 1991 Thunderbird, and that is all I have bought since. Good Luck

13. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

The Bilsteins were about the same price as the KYB and I chose the KYB for a softer ride on my F250. I do not go off road and only haul wood once a year

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.