1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT Need recipe for cooking rock salt prime rib

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by tgene, Dec 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tgene

tgene Member

I'm looking for a recipe to cook a 6 rib prime rib using the rock salt method. If you have a favorite, thanks for sharing... gene

2. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

The out the Food Network...I recall seeing a show where a prime rib was cooked that way...Maybe Alton Brown or Tyler Florence.....

Curt

And yes...Beef...real food for real people...

3. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Jack,

That's a little to rare/raw for me. I remeber an old steer rassler who told be he like his steaks burnt....only from the rope burn from around the steer's neck.

Doug

4. capvan

capvan Active Member

The recipe that MIA wrote truly works. I've used it several times. We go to the Maine seacoast several times a year (2 hr drive) and get his New Years Eve dinner. Can't beat buying them off the boat. If you have all the fixin's with you,(butter, something to melt it with, crackers, etc.) you can eat them right there on the pier. Mouth watering thinking about it. And there's 4 inches of snow on the ground outside :-(
    Bruce

5. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I used this one twice. It is wonderful but dont try to second guess the cooking procedure ( it works)

STANDING RIB ROAST

Let roast sit for at least one hr to get to room temp

Cut slits in and put slivers of garlic clove in the slits

Rub Sea salt & pepper on then sprinkle Mrs Dash on (Mrs Dash is optional but it is good)

Cook at 375 for one hr, turn off oven

Let sit in oven for 3 hrs ( do not open oven door)

When ready to eat, start oven @ 375 and cook 30 minutes to 40 minutes

Very important not to open oven during the whole proccess!!!!

6. J.Woolsey

J.Woolsey Member

Go to Ask Jeeves type in "Prime rib rock salt." You will get several recipes.

7. CS303

CS303 TS Member

Cut slits different depths and insert peeled garlic ( Alot is better )
    Smear whole prime rib with Grey Poupon Dijon mustard
    Coat with kosher salt, as thick as will stick
    Pre heat oven to 500, put roast in an open roaster with a rack cook at 500 for 4 min a pound
    Turn oven to 275 - 300 depending on how quickly you want to eat, check with insta read therm and pull about 145, salt cap will break off in large chunks
    Have never served without it being everyones new favorite

P.S. get roast close to room temp before cooking

Enjoy,

Chet

8. Lead Man

Lead Man TS Member

Not a rock salt recipe, but here goes. Take extra virgin olive oil garlic and rosemary put in a blender and chop. Rub the rib in the early morning and leave out until cooking time. Get the grill and rotisserie ready at about 150-200 degrees. Cook until done enough by the thermometer.

For got to add if your rib has the tail, slice it back about 2 -3 inches and rub the mixture inside and string it back together. I also add some pecan wood for a light smoke flavor and serve rare to med rare.

Eat until sick or out of meat.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.