1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT: Need place to escape the smoke

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by starshot2b, Jul 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

As most of you are probably aware, CA is burning up. It's really bad up here in NorCal and it's getting worse. We're stuck between the fires in Foresthill and the American Canyon and the Butte County fires - both of which are now out of control. Add 105+ temperatures and everyone is just miserable.

My family (which includes our dogs)and everyone else up here are suffering and need to escape this smoke, but have been told the smoke is all the way up in the Reno/Tahoe area down to the coast of Monterey.

Anyone in Northern CA not smoked out? In all the years we've been up here, with the myriad of fires we've had, it has never been this bad. Visibility is so bad, it looks like a February foggy day. At times our visibility is close to what the distance would be from the 16 yard line to the traphouse.

We're thinking of packing the car and traveling to Oregon or thereabouts. Is it worth it? Seriously folks, we need to get out of this smoke -- it's been a long 2-1/2 weeks and it's not going to let up anytime soon.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

2. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

Well, the Alaska state shoot is next week, July 16-20. Hop a standby flight and come on up.

Seriously...we have room in the squadding. Wife and kids would have a blast. Standby tickets wouldn't be a lot. Hotels are available, since our tourist season isn't slam dunk hot this year.

In fact, travelocity had some great deals just yesterday on round trip to and from anchorage.

Think about it before you start laughing....

3. 5spd

5spd TS Member

I used to live up in Chico until 2005. I recall the fires that went through the canyons from right up the hill on 32 that went up & over to Paradise....that sucked and you are correct it was in the 100s back then....I wish you all luck, course you can always come out this way to WY, always wind around here to keep the skys clear.

4. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

I suppose it could be worse. You could be haveing a HURRICANE coming within 500 miles(or less) off your coastline tomorrow. We are. Break-em all. Jeff
    PS Sorry to hear about the smoke. I hope it clears up for you soon.

5. trappermike

trappermike Well-Known Member

Go east, the Bay Area is awful too, Monterey to Napa Valley. Can't see the mountains 4 miles away. Work keeps me here or I would take vacation and get out of here.

Mike

6. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Well, if you want to come south for a few days, we have an extra room. You can shoot the ATA shoot a North Hollywood on Saturday and we have an extra dog run. Valencia, CA. Fred fssberson@aol.com

7. gotbass

gotbass Member

redding 112 on the way home from work today, smoke, smoke and more smoke. Start summer league tomorrow night and hope to see far enough to shoot the 16 yard targets. Have had the airconditioning running day and night for over 2 weeks as at least the house is not as smoky when closed up. Fellow shooter went to Oregon last week. Said the smoke started at Mt. Shasta. If you go to Oregon head to the coast, Brookings or further up. Nice weather too.

8. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Little secret to share. Head up the coast to Eureka.... Clear as a bell, temperature in the high 60's during the day and mid 50's at night. Anywhere along the coast from Eureka up to Brookings is great. Moved here from Redding in 1990 to escape just what you are experiencing...Dan Thome (Trap2)

9. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

Fred, thank you for the kind and generous offer. Someday soon I hope to shoot at North Hollywood to thank you in person. SoCal is just too far right now to escape.

Gotbass & Dan, thanks for the idea. We're going to scope out what places are dog friendly and see what we can find. I knew there had to be someplace between here and Oregon that was liveable right now!

Jeff P - thanks for the offer, timing isn't right!

Pull & Mark - sorry to hear about the hurricane; hope it misses you or at the very least, just rains without too much damage.

Mike, our friends in the Bay Area told us not to come down. It seems you're as miserable as we are.

10. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

sounds lie burning a little coal for electricity wouldn't hurt much more out there.

11. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Note: Most of those fires in No. CA. were started by lightning. Fred

12. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

The smoke is pretty bad way into central NV so don't go east looking for a break. Not as bad as where you are but most people around here have irritated eyes. No problems with the dogs though. Lets cross our fingers for a good rain.

13. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

A hundred miles into Oregon is pretty clear but warm. The Cascades and the coast would be the places to go.....Bob Dodd

14. jimx200

jimx200 Member

Dan T, got room for me, a kayak, and Lady my kayaking Border Collie? Lol. It's bad here in Sacramento...smoke, heat, bad ozone, dense particulates (dangerous stuff). I have NEVER seen anything like this in my 50 plus years in California.

BTW, how is your dad doing? Super guy as he and I would try to out "horse trade" barrels, guns, etc. Just one heck of a guy and I sure miss the old Sacramento Trap Club gang...just a shame it closed and now they are getting the site ready for the new Honda dealership with many acres of concrete and new cars. It's all about revenue for the City. Shoot well.

15. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

jimX200.... The coast right now is beautiful. For kayaking, you can't beat the beaches off Trinidad head, all the way up to Patricks Point campground or Gold Bluffs Beach. Fortunately we get a slight breeze off the ocean that's keeping us protected from all the "bad air". We have several friends, and family, that are staying here on the coast to escape it. As for my dad, he's doing well. He still shoots at the Auburn club and still does pretty well for being 83 years old. You're right about the Sacramento club. It was a beautiful place to shoot and I have many, many fond memories from shooting there. Ran a couple 100 straights in singles at the PITA Calif. State shoot there. Great club, great targets, and a great group of people..... Take care.....Dan

16. larryjk

larryjk Member

We don't have any fire in south/central Wyoming, but we do have haze from the smoke. Can't smell it very much, but it is sure evident in the air toward evening. Normally we have blue skies, but they are hazy skies this summer. You guys burn up every year, but usually southern CA.

17. Jennifer

Jennifer Member

Well, Idaho (at least southern ID) has smoke from California and Oregon, according to our news, so if you go to Oregon you might want to stay to the west. I don't know exactly where the fires are in Oregon, but our air quality is pretty bad. It's a shame, too, because the last two summers here have been HORRIBLE for smoke from fires in Idaho. Last fire season Idaho burned over 2 million acres! Red skies, ash raining down, a metallic taste in the mouth, for MONTHS. When the nights were cool we couldn't open our windows to let the house cool down so our electric bill was really high from running our AC all night long for weeks on end. People couldn't do anything outside. Now that we don't have any fires here (knock on wood), we are still suffering from California's and Oregon's smoke (although not as bad). Seems like there's no way to get away from it. I just hope we don't have another fire season like the last two.

Best of luck, I feel your pain.

Jennifer

18. ddrsuz

ddrsuz Member

Head for the North Coast, Mendocino area. Yes the fires and smoke in Booneville are like everywhere else, but right on the coast last weekend it was pretty nice. You could go stay at the KOA in Manchester if you up for some camping or trailering and the good news is about 5 minutes down the road is the Pt. Arena Trap Club where you can shoot on Sunday (or any other day if you would like to join). If you want to do more shopping or fishing you could wander anywhere along the coast. Lots of places to stay between Pt. Arena and Fort Bragg and it will be whole bunch cooler than the 105 we will be dealing with all week

Dennis

19. bocephus

bocephus Member

Too many lawsuits about discrimination, so this year northern CA has to have it's share of fires. And they made the punishment retroactive so they have to endure a few extra years worth as back payment.

20. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

It's miserable here in the San Joaquin Valley. Best bet is to head for the Central Coast. Anywhere from Avila north to San Simeon. You'll have to take 101 south, though. The coast road is closed at Carmel.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.