1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT - Need Magnet strength assist

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by GBatch_25, Jul 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

Our club has a pistol range and we have folks shooting steel cased ammo. Shooters are asked to police their own cases and put steel in one bin and brass in another.
    I'm looking into a magnetic sweeper (the type seen at tool stores) that might work to help us sort the casings. I have no idea what the physics of magnets are, so maybe someone here can help me. I found a sweeper with an advertised magnetic pull of 9 lbs that looks like it would work for us. Is 9 lbs of pull enough / too much / not enough to separate the steel from the brass? Would the magnet also attract the primers in the brass casings, defeating the purpose?

All constructive comments are welcome.

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

2. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

It will pull most all the cases because of the steel in the primer.

3. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

Thanks guys. What a depth of experience and knowledge here.

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

4. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

The largest, closest mass would be attracted the most, IE steel casings. The steel in the primers of a brass case would almost have to be in contact with the magnet to overcome their non-magnetic weight. You could use a strong magnet at the proper height to filter out the non-magnetic cases with steel primers. The more surface area, mass, the greater the pull.

It will never be perfect, but it beats sorting them by hand

5. Fast Oil

Fast Oil TS Member

I make these for the sporting clays ranges around here. The magnet has 177 lbs of pull. It is on a PVC pipe so they can reach into the weeds and briars.

[​IMG]

6. willing

willing Member

I found that pistol primers did not have enough steel for aa magnet to pick them up. that means no problem with the brass cases.YMMV

Bill

7. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Find an old speaker magnet in the recycle yard and it usually has a 1/4 20 thread in the middle . Mount that on a 4-5 ft piece of 1/2 in. thin wall electrical pipe , flattened and bent at a 45* angle. The other end can receive a regular empty hull . I did this with one from a CVR speaker and it works well on Rem Gun Club hulls and any steel bases hull on the trap range . STS`s and AA hulls have to get on the primer to pick them up . We ask that everyone pick their own up but there are always some that get away .

8. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

How do you plan to pick up the aluminum cases? Blaser ammo. Bulge.

9. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

OK gang. Went to a Harbor Freight store near here and found a 22" magnetic 'sweeper' for $30.00. Put it together and tested it with a few brass casings and a single steel casing. The steel casing was picked up every time, and the brass casings were left alone.
    If anyone is looking for one of these, check Harbor Freight's website above.

Bulge - Honestly don't know. Those will have to be hand sorted, I guess.

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.