1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT - Need Help...Baseball

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Old Dog, Aug 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Old Dog

Old Dog TS Member

I enjoy watching baseball games and have signed up on MLB.com the last couple of years. They show multiple games every night. But I have a problem. The picture freezes up a lot and when that happens the voices also shut down. For example, when the picture stops, one team may be at bat and when the pic returns, the game may be into the next inning. Have called about the problem but no help. MLB.com and our ISP blame each other.

It is frustrating when the pic comes back on and a team has scored three runs and I didn't see any of it.

Can any of you baseball fans help me out? Thanks.

Old Dog

2. cableguy

cableguy TS Member

Based on the information given, it sounds like your you need a faster internet connection. Video feeds require a lot of bandwidth. There are some real computer savvy people here, they will probably have a better idea though. but, my first thought would be to bump up your download capability as much as possible.
    Good luck, go Mariners!

Shawn

3. Old Dog

Old Dog TS Member

Thanks for the reply, Shawn. I have a cable internet connection so that should be fast enough. I was just wondering if others were having the same trouble as myself but apparently you and I are the only baseball people on this site or maybe I'm the only one to use MLB.Com.

OD

4. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

No there are other baseball fans here. I get all the Cardinal games on the local cable. If I lived outside an area that didn't cover the Cards I would have to try MLB.com

By the way Cards just sweep the Brew crew and and headed into Wrigley with a 5 game win streak. Might just pick up another ring this year!!!!

5. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

Sounds to me like the cable co. needs to update the wiring and such in your house, and maybe even at the road. Been there done that.

6. titan79

titan79 TS Member

Dog, How old is your modem? Any lightning strikes that might have slowed it down?

Bisi, I hope that the Redbirds can stay healthy long enough to get a good 10 game streak under their belts...... Despite not playing like champs this season, they have stayed close enough to make a run. GO CARDS!!!

7. Old Dog

Old Dog TS Member

The cable man put in a new modem last week and said he had done everything that could be done...inside. They are supposed to check the outside lines next week. I do notice, by doing speed tests, that I get maximum speed early in the day and many times it slows down later in the evening.

OD

8. cableguy

cableguy TS Member

Unfortunately, The cable system that I maintain is about 20 years behind the times. Cable internet isn't offered here. The equipment is too old. That being said, cable internet is a lot like the old style party lines. You share all of your bandwidth with your neighbors. Your cable carries you and a lot others back to the main office, where everyone hits a T1 line. T1 lines are good for approximately 100 customers each. More T1 lines heed to be added as more cable internet customers are added. This doesn't happen as regularly as it should and T1 lines get overloaded. Your faster speeds in the morning are because total usage is down. As the kids get home and start their playing (bandwidth intensive)games, the speeds go down. (cableguy's daughter here, a little more info to add. I don't know if you live in an apartment building or have one near by but most cable lines run in a four block radius normally covering a total of 150-200 homes. The cable companies often do this because they figure; A. Not everyone will be on the internet at the same time. B. With the exception of MSN and sites such as MLB.com, and games such as WoW or Everquest, you don't get an upload speed of higher than 1.5 mg available to you, so the severe downgrade in speed won't affect you to much. C. It's cheaper. The problem with this is when you get a speed of 30 mg and you have 75 people online you are only receiving your downloads at about 512 k. This really causes problems with the internet. Especially when there is an apartment building in your cable radius because, that bumps the customers from 150-200 homes to a much higher number. Remember every cable customer that is serviced also averages 2 computers.) You might check with the DSL providers and see if you can get 6 or 7 MB DSL. You get a dedicated line that way. One of my daughter's computer geek boyfriends swears that a 7MB DSL is the fastest way to go. I just now checked this with my daughter (see above)and she said for the video and for constant speeds, go DSL. We have 1.5mb DSL here at the house for three computers and a wireless network. Plenty fast unless we're all playing with yootube.

Off topic, I hope that the Mariners can keep in the wild card chase against the the hated Yankees and, maybe even win the AL West.

Good luck,

Shawn

9. David Knapp

David Knapp TS Member

Do you have neighbors? Cable system work on a node system, somebody on your node is sucking down bandwidth maybe?

David Knapp

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.