1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT: Need Hearing Aid Advice

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by TC, Jan 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TC

TC TS Member

Eight years ago I replaced a set of analog hearing aids with a set of Beltone digitals. Although they cost over $4,000, they were a tremendous improvement over the analogs. I am now having trouble with one of them and they want $350 to see if they can be repaired. They also stated they do not repair anything over 10 years old. I am not sure if I should risk the $350, or just replace them.

The local dealer wants $6,500 for the current replacement model. Is there anywhere I might find these at a more reasonable price? Tony

2. TC

TC TS Member

Edit

3. Hydra

Hydra TS Member

Shop around with the internet. See where other dealers are and see what they charge for repair and new ones. I say go for the new ones because of the fact things have improved in the eight years.

4. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Forget the hearing aid dealers and make an appointment with your speech and hearing clinic and see what the audiologist recommends. Eight years is old in the electronics world.

5. TF

TF Active Member

Just started with hearing aids last fall (as a result of loss because of Manier's disease). There is an audiologist firm in south central Florida (Fort Myers area--I live in Sebring) that leases them. I pay around $70 a month and all repairs, adjustments and batteries are included. At the end of three years I get new ones. Might be something that would suit your situation if it is available in your area.

Tom

6. lytnin1

lytnin1 Member

I was found to have SSD[ Single sided deafness] in Dec 08 thru Menieries Desease and shooting [ Left ear] and am to be fitted with BAHA hearing aid in Feb. BAHA is Bone Assisted Hearing Aid . The audiologist tried a sample one on me and it was a hell of an improvement

7. too fast

too fast TS Member

Try Costco they sell name brand at about 1/3 the price the hearing aid stores charge. I have never been charged for repairs. They also offer a 90 day return policy of which I took advantage of and returned one pair and did without for about 6 months until they had something better. Their customer service is second to none in our store in Folsom Ca . They re-test your hearing and adjust the hearing aids every 6 mo or when ever you want. I have had great luck with them.

Give me a call if I can be of assistance. 916-599-3314

Thanks
    Jim

8. TC

TC TS Member

Will have to check Costco. Anyone know anything about Starkey?

9. TC

TC TS Member

Beltone does a lot of advertising all over the country. I think that is part of the $6,500 price. JerryP thanks, I will have to see if I can find anything through a speech and hearing clinic.

10. dave-320c

dave-320c Well-Known Member

COSTCO!!!!
    dave

11. TC

TC TS Member

Dave, what kind did you get from COSTCO? How did they work out for you?

Right now I am try to decide between the Beltone and the Starkey brands. It seems the Starkey's are a little less expensive.

12. The Greek

The Greek Member

Hi Tony,

I've been wearing hearing aids for the past 20 years and have tried them all. For the past 6 years I've been using a BTE (Behind the Ear) made by Re-Sound. They are far the best aids I've ever used. I paid $4,800 for the pair and will be replacing them next year with a new model called the DOT. It's the smallest BTE available today and I was quoted $3,200 for the pair by my audilogist.

You can see this model and all models on their website: http://www.gnresound.com/

Good Luck

John

13. TC

TC TS Member

Looks like the Re-Sound's went down in price and the Beltone's went up. I can understand a reasonable price increase, but not the jump mine had quoted.

14. too fast

too fast TS Member

Just remenber with any hearing aid they are only as good as the service you receive. If you buy the best hearing aids on the market for a $100.00 and if they are not set-up correctly they are worthless. You must expect many visits to the hearing aid center to get them adjusted correctly to start with and expect to go back to keep them adjusted properly. Thats why I recomend Costco.

Thanks
    Jim

15. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Twodogs
    I searched around the NRA website for the info you mentioned in your post on hearing aids,, but not being very computer literate could not find anything.

Is there an address that would help me???? Thank You Ross Puls

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.