1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT--need excellent rx for corn-beef brine

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Captain Bud, Mar 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Captain Bud

Captain Bud TS Member

Does anybody have a really, really good recipe for the brine to cook corn beef in?

Since St. Pat's Day is next week, I figure all the good recipes should be coming out of the kitchen drawers.

The packets that come with the meat nowadays just doesn't taste like it use to when I was a kid.

I'm sure everyone will be thankful for a tried and true great recipe.

Thanking all that may chime in-- in advance.

Yours,

A guy that loves great corn beefand cabbage

Philip Santos

2. Hawk46

Hawk46 TS Member

We just place ours in the roaster with some water and the cabbage on top. Cook slowly at 325 for several hours checking water level occassionally.
    Going to watch this thread for a better recipe, but ours is delicious. I've thought about adding some tomato juice just to experiment but haven't yet. We do usually also add carrots and a couple onions.

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Just to be a little different, I like to bake one in the oven for a few hours at 325. Then slice thin on fresh rye bread from the bakery. HMB

4. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Somewhere I have the recipe to make the corned beef, my Mom used to make it from briskets, damn they were good, I guess I need to dig it out, but I have about as much luck finding everything I have stashed over the years, I'm a terrible pack rat, and the older I get things are almost impossible to find, until I buy what I was looking for

5. Beni

Beni Member

Goggle the Sausage maker located in buff. New York,they have a kit you use to make the brine,usually it stays in the brine for 72 hours then you can cook it. good luck beni

6. Captain Bud

Captain Bud TS Member

Keep the ideas coming folks.

Thanks

I read ssomething about pouring in a can of Coke. Something to do with Cokes ability to break down the fats in the meat. Anyone else hear of this idea?

Phil

7. porky

porky TS Member

Seems pretty easy. Price is right, but it doesn't show freight. Wish we had started discussing this back in the middle of February.

8. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Here's one. The only draw back is you have to buy at least a 12 pack of beer. ;) lol

9. Beni

Beni Member

Freight should not be bad the box is only about 2/3 the size of a shoe box. Gotta remember corned beef is really sort of pickled in a brine,which has to penetrate the brisket throughly. That kit is very easy once its done, then you can cook it with cabbage etc. good luck beni. oh by the way you can also use venison instead of beef.

10. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

We cook it in a slow cooker..using a large flat cut...cut in half put in the cooker with the meat grain running up and down...use the season pack that comes in most brands..put 1 full beer plus a 1/4cup water...a 1/4 stick of butter and a heaping tablespoon of minced garlic...cook on high for 5-6hrs....enjoy with rye bread and thousand isle dressing, swiss cheese and sauerkraut for the best reuben samiches you ever had

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.