1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT- Need electrical help wiring garage opener

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by trap41, Jul 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trap41

trap41 TS Member

OT- Need electrical help wiring a garage opener

To anyone that is familiar with wiring a garage door openener.

I need some help wiring a Sears/Craftsman 1/2 hp Garage Door Opener.

The unit was originally wired and functioning properly, but the garage door had to be replaced, and the unit needed to be disconnected.

Now that the door is back in, I can't remember how the wires were hooked up (2 sets of wires came from 2 - Safety Sensor Beam units and 1 set of wires from a Wall Control unit)

These wires connect to the side of the 1/2hp motor unit and to 3 connecting screws marked A B C.

How do I connect the wires to the screws labeled A B C?

I tried the Sears web site for instructions but had no luck (linked above).

Can anyone direct me?

Thank you.

Trap 41

2. Bawana

Bawana TS Member

Call an electricin (sp). I live in an old house and being so I do not touch the wiring because of the chance of a fire. I would rather be safe then sorry. Besides the insurance co would go nuts if they thought I was doing any wire work in this house.

3. smartass

smartass TS Member

Those that answered don't know and neither do I. Try to find the manual that came with the opener- it will tell you how to wire it.

4. trap41

trap41 TS Member

Anyone have a copy of the direction?

5. alpine

alpine TS Member

Wall button is just a monentary contact switch. I would guess B is 24 volts.

Detectors take 24 volts and when beam is blocked, they close a switch and the opener reverses.

Here is my guess:
    Wall button wires land on A & B.
    Detecors land on B & C. Wires with a stripe land on B.

6. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

the right and left door sensors have color coded wires- white/red & white/black
    put the red tracer wire onto the red terminal, put the black tracer wire on the black terminal and the white wires on the white terminals these terminals are on the opener put the door opener button color coded wires on their proper terminals. I just looked at the wiring on mine to get this information for you.
    If you live in Ohio I will give you a name for more information on hooking it up.

Dr.longshot

7. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Future tip: Many years ago i bought a very thick three ring binder and a hole punch. Whenever I buy something new the manual(s) go in there. If I sell something I have the material to go with it or junk it as the case may be. As an example I have a snowblower that is 32 years old and the manual sandwiched between or inserted in a plastic window is still very readable and notm yellow or dried out nor someplace I have to guess where it might be.

8. Harold

Harold TS Member

On my Sears 1/2 hp garage door openers the terminals are labeled 1, 2, and 3, not A, B, C. Terminal 1 has one wire from the wall pushbutton. Terminal 2 has the other pushbutton wire and the 2 white wires from the electric eye sensors. Terminal 3 has the two white/black wires.

9. trap41

trap41 TS Member

Harold,

Thank you very much..... it worked just as you said.

Alpine and Dr. longshot, you confirmed it.

Thank you

Trappy 41

10. Dale Z

Dale Z TS Member

Not seeing a wiring diagram I would not recommend any type of wiring to a home owner. Did you test all functions? Does the door go back up when it hits an encounter? Does it also go up when there is a obstruction between the sensors? It may be your child's life or the roof of your car if not properly wired. It would go up and down with each push of the button, however be sure the sensors are working properly. There should be a wiring diagram pasted in the cover.

Dale
    Master Electrician

11. trap41

trap41 TS Member

This site is awesome.

Bunch of geniuses out there in TS.COM land.

I bet that if we got through all the BS on here and got down to business as a team, we could build the space shuttle if we really wanted to.

The walnut shell would look pretty finished with 30 coats of Tru-Oil.

Just not sure it would get off the launch pad.

I imagine that part would take some math.

Trappy 41

12. Dale Z

Dale Z TS Member

Trap41

I would imagine the team made up of trapshooters from here on TS.com would figure out some way to put A LOT of high power loads underneath and trigger them all at the same time, with the shot string propelling the space shuttle upward...

13. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Next thing you know someone will have a thread entitled, "Let's Talk About Trapshooting Only Or Else".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.