1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT Need Computer Help

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by TC, Mar 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TC

TC TS Member

How can I save "favorites" to a flash drive so I could have them when using a different computer? Tony

2. truthseeker

truthseeker Member

Open windows explorer then navigate to C:\Documents and Settings\ and look for your login folder.

Open it and you will see a favorites file.

Right click on it and a menu opens, then left click copy.

Now open your flashdrive and right click anywhere in that window and a menu opens, then left click paste.

3. TC

TC TS Member

Couldn't find Windows Explorer. Running AOL and I think all the favorites are stored on their site not this computer.

4. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

Click on "My Documents" as that is where the favorites folder is. Go down to the "F"s. The favorites folder will have a yellow star. Insert your flash drive in your computer and wait fot it to be recognized. Right click on your favorites folder and from the drop down select "send To" and then from the drop down select your jump drive.

Do not unplug the flash drive without first stopping it or you could loose all the information on it. To stop it, I think you right click on it, ( If not just left click icon) on the flash drive icon on the bottom right part of the lower task bar. From the pop up highlight your jump drive and click on stop. It will tell you when it is safe to remove.Ray.......

5. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

X2Trap,

I just tried to find my favorites folder according to your instructions and no go. It's not listed anywhere. I do have a favorites drop down list in the tool bar though.

Eric

6. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

You may have to start with "MY Computer"

If you have Windows XP, do this....

Click on the start button at the bottom left corner.

Find and click on My Computer in the RH column.

Under the heading "Hard Disc Drives", double click "C"

In this window, DBL click "Documents and Settings"

Within this window DBL click "Administrator"

You will see a folder...may have a "star icon", this folder should say "Favorites"

When you open this file, you should see all of your favorites.

Browser-Back to the administrator page. Right click the mouse and scroll down the little window and you will see "Send to".

Insert your CD, DVD, or Floppy and burn the data to it.

7. truthseeker

truthseeker Member

I see the problem, you are using AOL browser instead of Microsoft Internet Explorer.

The directions I posted were for Microsoft Internet Explorer not AOL's internet browser.

I don't use AOL, so I don't know how to help, sorry.

8. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

GunDr,

It all worked up to the star thing but there were no favorites listed in there. Not to worry, I was just trying to see if I had what you described.

Eric

9. Dednlost

Dednlost Member

Haven't used aol in ages but it seems to me if your favorites are stored in your account online when you log in from another computer you should have them available. Of course the other computer must have aol installed too.

10. TC

TC TS Member

The old computer was able to store on the hard drive as well as the account. Would like to store on a flash drive instead of the hard drive but can't figure out how to do either one.

11. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

TC

"The old computer was able to store on the hard drive as well as the account."

What OS are you running now as opposed to "The old computer"?

Bob Lawless

12. TC

TC TS Member

Both are XP.

13. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Gun Dr had it almost right. All except the part about opening the "Administrator" folder. Open the one that is labeled the same as your login or user account and then go to the "Favorites" folder in that directory. Not everyone is logged in as "Administrator". If you are, you should create a limited access account with a strong password and be sure to password the Administrator account as well. Just be sure to use something that you will remember.

14. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

To open Windows Explorer right-click "Start" and select "Explore". The "Favorites" folder may be stored under either the "Admin" or "Owner" accounts depending on which account created it.

Carol Lister

15. mike31z

mike31z Member

Here is a different way to find Favorites <br>
    Go to Start then Search,<br>
    Click on all ALL FILES AND FOLDERS<br>
    Type in FAVORITES<br>
    Click on SEARCH<br>
    You will get all the locations with favorites<br><br>

RIGHT click on SHORTCUTS TO FAVORITES<br>
    then mouse to SEND TO <br> and then a new box open select the location where your flash drive is. Once you click on the location a copy of your favorites is sent.

Hope this helps

16. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

Depending on the version of AOL being used, favorites/preferences may be stored in a unusual file with a .pfc (Personal Filing Cabinet} extension. This file is generally readable only by the AOL software; there are a few freeware programs that will extract URLs from this file and write them to a HTML file so they can be read. They will not necessarily be clickable.

If you can locate the file, you may be able to copy or export it to another machine. I do not know; none of the IT department staff uses AOL.

Carol Lister

17. Trapshooter

Trapshooter Well-Known Member

Get rid of AOL. There software is horrible. It's been said that they are anti gun.
    Todd

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.